Thinking of a new used ADV style bike, what are your thoughts? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of a new used ADV style bike, what are your thoughts?

Check out some reviews and go test ride a versys 1000. It ticks all your boxes and is an absolute gem for what you want. Bit of an unsung hero if you ask me.
This is a good deal on a leftover 2016.

Please view this ad:

LOOK HERE INCLUDES 0 % FINANCING,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...aign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Price: $*12,499

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Here's a pretty accurate review.
https://youtu.be/6MNZzr4icZk

Last edited:
Honestly, I think the only bike in your price range is the Vstrom 1000. Hard to find a Super Tenere (my personal fav of the ones you've listed) or a GS, Adventure 1190 etc at or under $10k, especially with touring farkles like luggage. The FJ-09 is a nice bike with a great motor that can be had for under $10k new, but it has a very low fuel range compared to most bikes in this segment.

Personally, I'd love a 2012+ Vstrom 650. I am currently on a Bandit 600 and while I don't want or need any more power I'd love the comfort a WeeStrom provides and the since my Bandit is bullet proof I want my next bike to be bullet proof too and the WeeStrom definitely ticks that box!

I am a huge fan of the 1200GS, on my third and really there is nothing out there that I would replace it with at the moment that has the feature I want and get with a BMW. Best bikes I have ever ridden and made for travelling.

You can find some deals on GS's in your price range or just slightly above
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-...gs/1288431289?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Price might be negotiable and you get a well kitted bike ready to tour!

I like the look of the Honda ST1300 and I've heard that they are great bikes.

Honda reliability, the price is in your range, suitable for long rides on the freeway, good handling.

Ktm 1190 is the most fun bike on your list I have had zero issues with mine so far.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

To add to that, I think most owners that have one of these with issues have had those issues fixed either under warranty or added aftermarket fixes themselves.

Threads like this make me think otherwise, http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...emon-reared-its-head-on-my-road-trip.1167265/

Check out some reviews and go test ride a versys 1000. It ticks all your boxes and is an absolute gem for what you want. Bit of an unsung hero if you ask me.
This is a good deal on a leftover 2016.

Kinda forgot they existed, will add it to the search.

Honestly, I think the only bike in your price range is the Vstrom 1000. Hard to find a Super Tenere (my personal fav of the ones you've listed) or a GS, Adventure 1190 etc at or under $10k,

The Tenere is actually the one that seems closest, here's basically what I'm looking for asking $8800

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...se/1289000629?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I am a huge fan of the 1200GS, on my third and really there is nothing out there that I would replace it with at the moment that has the feature I want and get with a BMW. Best bikes I have ever ridden and made for travelling.

You can find some deals on GS's in your price range or just slightly above
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-...gs/1288431289?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Price might be negotiable and you get a well kitted bike ready to tour!

I actually checked that bike out after work. Seems reasonable, I think it's been lowered, not sure how big of a deal it would be to revert it. Not a fan of the age though.

I like the look of the Honda ST1300 and I've heard that they are great bikes.

Honda reliability, the price is in your range, suitable for long rides on the freeway, good handling.

Not my kind of bike.

Ha
$_27.JPG

I saw that too....lovely farkles - $4600 worth he says and I can beleive that....my only question is the weight at 575 lb - tho that is wet and with 23 litre tank.
If it was closer I'd check it out myself just for interest tho I'm not at all in the market.

An 800cc shaft version tho ......70 lb lighter I'd be thinking about.

If you read all the threads on forums about bike issues you'd never buy any bikes. Look at final drive issues for the big BMWs for instance. The one issue that many (older) 1190 owners complain about is a heating issue and that has aftermarket heat deflectors as a solution. My own bike (KTM 1290) gets hot at times on my legs but I'd be surprised if a 1300cc engine with that much power didn't occasionally. That thread you mentioned has a vendor selling a fuel filter in it (I know because I read that section of ADV Rider all the time and post in some of the other threads) and so there's some impetus in keeping the thread going too. Are there problems? Yes, there are. Are they with all bikes and all owners? No, not at all and just the vocal ones on forums.

I actually checked that bike out after work. Seems reasonable, I think it's been lowered, not sure how big of a deal it would be to revert it. Not a fan of the age though.

I would not be worried about the age, these bikes last forever. Low KM as well, barely broken in. They are pretty problem free bikes and fantastic touring machines that have all the bells and whistles, like ABS, ESA, traction control, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by regder View Post

I just question the price for the age. The bike will go foever and it'd nicely kitted but seems to me that a new Vee would come in around there
The BMW is 590 lb dry and a huge tank so hefty versus 502 for the 2016 1000 Vee and 495 for my CBF1000.

$_27.JPG

2016 demo with full factory warranty - 4k km pretty bike

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...ty/1235810760?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

You'd still have $2k left for farkling over the BMW.

This kinda nice too with the passenger backrest and also low km

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...se/1285667954?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Last edited:
If your mostly street and a bit of easy gravel, I'd +1 the Versys 1000. I've got 80k kms on my Ninja 1000, and I absolutely love the bike. The motor makes me giggle in my helmet the way my previous Wee-Strom never did (although a nice all around bike). My next bike needs to be 2-up 3 bag capable, and I don't want to loose much of the fun I have with my Ninja. Right now, the Versys 1000 is at the top of my list. Sure, a S1000XR or Multi would be fun, but that's a whole other price category.

OP, I'd recommend looking at any of your serious contenders closely for what you want with separate research as there is often misinformation posted in these threads. For your wants and price range I'd go with the FJ-09 unless one found another one-off great bike at a great price.

The FJ-09 is light, really fast (think wheelies), a very very good price, lots of mods and touring options are available and there's lots of high reliability experience already (some high miler's out there).

Bit of a stretch to include the FJ09 in the Adventure Bike category...
It does as well as many other primarily road warrior bikes in that class, though there are better heavy bias off-road bikes.

From one of my other posts. Click on the location link for the one picture. Places that pretty much everyone here haven't done.
As for the FJ-09 ADVing, how about getting to the Arctic circle? Check.
ab8fc6d49983f78b0ae0879db612a6ae.jpg

This location is the blue dot here. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170801/60a94deec52b564c872a6a9f4a7f99a0.jpg

Another example of an Alaska trip
UtwETKg.jpg

7lkK33N.jpg

[FJ-09] has a few after market throttle lock options available, no CC though
..... Yamaha does not make available a top case, for wheelie concerns
There is a fully integrated aftermarket electronic CC available, even using OEM Yamaha handlebar switchgear.

And top cases have been done on the FJ-09 by tons of people. Here's an OEM yamaha top case on an FJ-09 with the hard side bags, all put on by the local Yamaha dealer.

attachment.php

With all the savings from the price of an FJ-09, it can easily become a pimped out ADV bike with touring cases/bags, oem heated grips, the oem power outlet (and an optional second power outlet), larger windscreen, and CC.

I really enjoyed the Tenere, but now that the Africa twin is out if I was leaning that way I'd just go with an Africa twin instead. There are better options for off-road ADV bikes or on-road ADV bikes, especially considering its price. Though I'd jump on a good one if the right price came along. That gets difficult though when the FJ-09 is so much less expensive.

The LT Versys 1000 looks nice and is well liked, but the older non-LT model is one butt ugly bike. :p

Last edited:
If your mostly street and a bit of easy gravel, I'd +1 the Versys 1000. I've got 80k kms on my Ninja 1000, and I absolutely love the bike. The motor makes me giggle in my helmet the way my previous Wee-Strom never did (although a nice all around bike). My next bike needs to be 2-up 3 bag capable, and I don't want to loose much of the fun I have with my Ninja. Right now, the Versys 1000 is at the top of my list. Sure, a S1000XR or Multi would be fun, but that's a whole other price category.
The versys scores high marks 2up. Also a pretty good amount of wind protection.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Are all of the newer versions of these bigger bikes (Versys, Strom, FJ-09, etc) taking premium fuel now as per the manual?

OP, I'd recommend looking at any of your serious contenders closely for what you want with separate research as there is often misinformation posted in these threads. For your wants and price range I'd go with the FJ-09 unless one found another one-off great bike at a great price.

The FJ-09 is light, really fast (think wheelies), a very very good price, lots of mods and touring options are available and there's lots of high reliability experience already (some high miler's out there).

It does as well as many other bikes in that class, though there are better heavy bias off-road bikes.

From one of my other posts. Click on the location link for the one picture. Places that pretty much everyone here haven't done.

There is a fully integrated aftermarket CC available, even using OEM Yamaha handlebar switchgear.
And top cases have been done on the FJ-09 by tons of people. Here's an OEM yamaha top case on an FJ-09 with the hard side bags, all put on by the local Yamaha dealer.

attachment.php

With all the savings from the price of an FJ-09, it can easily become a pimped out ADV bike with touring cases/bags, oem heated grips, the oem power outlet (and an optional second power outlet), larger windscreen, and CC.

I really enjoyed the Tenere, but now that the Africa twin is out if I was leaning that way I'd just go with an Africa twin instead. There are better options for off-road ADV bikes or on-road ADV bikes, especially considering its price. Though I'd jump on a good one if the right price came along. That gets difficult though when the FJ-09 is so much less expensive.

The LT Versys 1000 looks nice and is well liked, the older non-LT is one butt ugly bike. :p

good information here, didn't know about the CC availability

wouldn't surprise me if Yamaha released an ADV version of the FJ09
though the FJ designation makes it a sport-tourer and literature calls it one
seems a lot of buyers get one and go about ADV-ing it

Are all of the newer versions of these bigger bikes (Versys, Strom, FJ-09, etc) taking premium fuel now as per the manual?

Ninja 1000 takes premium, so I would expect the Versys would as well.

good information here, didn't know about the CC availability

wouldn't surprise me if Yamaha released an ADV version of the FJ09
though the FJ designation makes it a sport-tourer and literature calls it one
seems a lot of buyers get one and go about ADV-ing it

Yamaha registered the name "Tracer GT" in Europe this summer. If that hints at a tall touring version of the MT-10/FZ-10, I would be very interested.

My KTM 1290 does but apparently there won't be issues if I use regular for a bit. There's an electronic dongle I can plug in for really crappy fuel if I need to but that's designed for African trips etc. My old Tiger 1050 required midgrade fuel.

I was on the same boat a couple of months ago ... decided to get 2015 Vstrom 1000. I can't be happier.

XwQvE4j.jpg

Anyone ever chased a bike deal?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...15/1285594975?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Lots of meat on the bone for the OP's price range to mod to what he wants. Can make a trip of it or transport/uship.

Besides that, I see some appeal to travelling for the right bike or price... Anyone with any experience and a story or two? There are a few bikes that I will have to search far and wide for if I ever want to fulfill that itch.

Anyone ever chased a bike deal?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...15/1285594975?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Lots of meat on the bone for the OP's price range to mod to what he wants. Can make a trip of it or transport/uship.

Besides that, I see some appeal to travelling for the right bike or price... Anyone with any experience and a story or two? There are a few bikes that I will have to search far and wide for if I ever want to fulfill that itch.

same year and colour as mine....though mine has way more miles
that's a good price and be a fun trip back to Ontario
400 km/tank ? no, never, will not go that far

Back
Top Bottom