Oomis - One of Our Own. | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oomis - One of Our Own.

I have no words for your strength and courage. Makes me feel like a complete tool for complaining about the things in life that get me down.

I dunno, I don't think it makes sense to look at things this way. In the end we are all capable of more than we give ourselves credit for. And when the unexpected happens, we roll with the punches. What other choice do we have? I tell my kids it's one foot in front of the other, even if we can't see where we're going sometimes.

In the end we are all capable of more than we give ourselves credit for.... even if we can't see where we're going sometimes.

Sounds like Tim at the track ;)

I dunno, I don't think it makes sense to look at things this way. In the end we are all capable of more than we give ourselves credit for. And when the unexpected happens, we roll with the punches. What other choice do we have? I tell my kids it's one foot in front of the other, even if we can't see where we're going sometimes.

Obviously you have people supporting you through this journey, but just to reiterate, many here would be happy to help if there is anything we can do. Please do not hesitate to ask.

@oomis, how are you doing? It's been a while, how is rehab going? Is your leg officially safe yet? Take care.

It has been a while. I was discharged from rehab on Oct. 24th, and have been home since then. It’s been ... unspeakably difficult to come home. Everything was just how we left it, waiting for us to come home from our vacation. Only she’s not coming home.

Right now I’m in rehab three times a week. I’m working like hell. I went from crutches to a cane to wobbling around on my own two legs for short distances. A nurse comes in one a day to change a small dressing.

My leg is doing well. I am scheduled for my last surgery on Wednesday the 29th, where they will be doing a bone graft. They’ll remove the rod and the bone cement that’s in my left lower leg, and graft bone that they remove from my right femur.

If things go well, I may be discharged in a couple of days. Dunno where to - back to rehab or home, I’m not sure. If things go badly, and they might, then it gets a whole lot more complicated.

I’m trying to stay positive. Positivity got me through August, through September and October. Truth is, these days it’s wearing a bit thin.

Not sure where in the GTA you're located, but if you need to get out (and feel up to it), as soon as I can drive again I'll come get you and would be happy to buy you lunch somewhere.

Am happy to hear of your progress, don't get down on yourself or predicament...fight for your sanity .. kids and family. It is unexplainable how a catastrophic injury and loss which you suffered makes you a stonger and better person..but I know first hand. Hang in there.... years from now you will look back and be proud to have rebounded from this.
God bless and sending healing rays your way

Not sure where in the GTA you're located, but if you need to get out (and feel up to it), as soon as I can drive again I'll come get you and would be happy to buy you lunch somewhere.

Thanks for that, buddy. I'll post up again after surgery...

Just keeping folks updated - I had surgery at Sunnybrook on Nov. 29th, where they reamed the inside of my right femur and removed bone that they grafted in the gap in my left tibia. There had been some bone cement in there, so that came out, but they left the rod that runs from my knee to my ankle in.

The procedure went well. They got all the bone they needed from the femur and so they didn't have to drill my hip for more. Today I was discharged from Sunnybrook back to St. John's rehab. I'll be here until I'm strong enough to go home. Dunno how long that'll take, but I should be home before Christmas.

I'm feeling good. It's great to have this last procedure out of the way so I can just focus on getting better now.

Just keeping folks updated - I had surgery at Sunnybrook on Nov. 29th, where they reamed the inside of my right femur and removed bone that they grafted in the gap in my left tibia. There had been some bone cement in there, so that came out, but they left the rod that runs from my knee to my ankle in.

The procedure went well. They got all the bone they needed from the femur and so they didn't have to drill my hip for more. Today I was discharged from Sunnybrook back to St. John's rehab. I'll be here until I'm strong enough to go home. Dunno how long that'll take, but I should be home before Christmas.

I'm feeling good. It's great to have this last procedure out of the way so I can just focus on getting better now.

Thanks for the update. Glad it went well. My MIL had a nightmare of a time with the cement in but physio progressed quickly once they took it out. It's good you are at St. Johns, Baycrest shuts down for all Jewish holidays, it's ridiculous that they get any public funding when you have suffering people not getting the treatment they need to get better.

Congrats! So, no calling you Limpy then?
I'm thinking Femur Reamer. Won't get that image out of my head very quick!

But it's good to get your update Oomis. Sounds like the visible injuries are well taken care of, hope you're able to take care of the invisible injuries just as successfully with the support of your family and friends

Glad to hear the last procedure is out of the way and things are progressing well! Thanks for all the updates Oomis. Thinking about you!

Congrats! So, no calling you Limpy then?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Chicks dig a good limp.

Wait, that doesn't sound quite right...

...anyway, discharge is on the 20th. I've been strong enough to go home for some time now, but if I do go home I don't have access to rehab facilities, as the outpatient gym is shut down over the holidays. So I decided to stick it out here so I can take every opportunity to get strong. The stronger I get, the less impact the break until outpatient rehab starts will have on me.

I see the orthopaedic surgeon again in the third week of January. They'll be able to tell me then if the graft has taken and if any follow-up surgery is required. There's no reason to think there will be, but they've made it clear it's a risk.

Last edited:
Appears they did not excise the sense of humour ....best sign of recovery yet....Merry Solstice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom