Oomis - One of Our Own. - Page 8



Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 141 to 153 of 153

Thread: Oomis - One of Our Own.

  1. #141

    Re: Oomis - One of Our Own.

    Great to hear all the progress man and Happy New Year!

  2. #142

    Re: Oomis - One of Our Own.

    Quote Originally Posted by Krime View Post
    Happy New Year Omar! How's it going?
    Happy (belated?) New Year!

    I'm back at outpatient physio, which is kicking my ***. I go back to the surgeons at Sunnybrook on Tuesday for an assessment. Ideally they'll tell me that the bone graft has gone well and I will have no further need for surgery. It's weighing heavily on me, to be honest. I mean, it's not like I have a choice - if I need another surgery, I need it, but going back into the hospital and rehab... man, I just don't want to get back on that treadmill. I'm feeling strong; hobbling around short distances with no cane or crutches, and managing stairs better than ever, so I am trusting that this is a good sign.

    On another note, I've decided that I will ride again. As you can imagine, this was a big decision. A year ago, I would have told you that I couldn't have imagined my life without riding. All this has put that into perspective and I have had a lot of time to consider what things would be like if I hung up my gloves, and I got to a place where I was really ok with the idea of not riding again. I don't think there's a sane person alive who could have gone through all this and just jumped back on a bike without processing things.

    For me, it came down to a couple of things. If (ever) I was going to quit riding, I wanted it to be on my terms, not because I was too risk-averse to ever get back on. I also thought long and hard about what Linda would have thought about things, and I know in my heart she would have supported the decision to ride again. She knew how much riding added to my life, how much happier riding made me and how much it enriched my life with friends and experiences. She'd be ok with it.

    It's just a matter of how quickly I can get strong. Swinging a leg over a tall ADV bike, which is the most comfortable kind of bike for me, is a tall order. I have to get my legs strong enough, and I don't know if that's going to be something I can do this season. So I'm potentially facing a Spyder or a sidecar. Plusses and minuses to both...

    Anyway, I'm just working hard over here. Physically, mentally and emotionally. I'm just working hard.

    O.
    Spotwalla link for Lemonade Tour 2014: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...f53b962f84c5c7

    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 13 BMW R1200GS LC, SV650 track bike

    Quote Originally Posted by RedDogDarren View Post
    You should all be more like me, a sexual Tyrannosaurus.

  3. #143

    Re: Oomis - One of Our Own.

    Good to hear your progress Oomis, thanks for the update.

    I think riding again would be an important part of recovery. Kinda like you say, you don't want this episode to define the rest of your life more than it has to. Take back control. Not easy, but you're obviously smart and strong so you can do it. Did you have a group of riding buddies who could support you? Do you know Goldie? She's been on the receiving end of a few SMIDSY events and kept riding, maybe she has some advice to share?
    The odd times I felt I'd approached the truth, it rested on the premise that people are essentially good and smart.

  4. #144

    Re: Oomis - One of Our Own.

    Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Good to hear your progress Oomis, thanks for the update.

    I think riding again would be an important part of recovery. Kinda like you say, you don't want this episode to define the rest of your life more than it has to. Take back control. Not easy, but you're obviously smart and strong so you can do it. Did you have a group of riding buddies who could support you? Do you know Goldie? She's been on the receiving end of a few SMIDSY events and kept riding, maybe she has some advice to share?
    Goldie with the GSXR 750?
    17' FZ09 Intensity White
    "Don't confuse my attitude with my personality. My personality is who i am, my attitude depends on who you are."

  5. #145

    Re: Oomis - One of Our Own.

    I think that's her bike, black if I remember correctly.

  6. #146

    Re: Oomis - One of Our Own.

    Yeah. She was my instructor@ Learning Curves.
    17' FZ09 Intensity White
    "Don't confuse my attitude with my personality. My personality is who i am, my attitude depends on who you are."

  7. #147

    Re: Oomis - One of Our Own.

    @Oomis glad you're coming to terms with the fallout of this tragic accident. I can tell this community holds you in very high regard and will support you in whatever way possible.

    Best wishes on your continued recovery.
    17' FZ09 Intensity White
    "Don't confuse my attitude with my personality. My personality is who i am, my attitude depends on who you are."

  8. #148
    Riceburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Stuck in Reality
    Posts
    6,138

    Re: Oomis - One of Our Own.

    Quote Originally Posted by oomis View Post
    .....It's just a matter of how quickly I can get strong. Swinging a leg over a tall ADV bike, which is the most comfortable kind of bike for me, is a tall order. I have to get my legs strong enough, and I don't know if that's going to be something I can do this season. So I'm potentially facing a Spyder or a sidecar. Plusses and minuses to both....
    Why push it? Start over and get on a smaller standard and work up to it again.

  9. #149

    Re: Oomis - One of Our Own.

    as a relative newcomer
    I've just been reading and keeping my yap shut

    but decided to comment as your story is...sad, and inspiring
    don't know how you find the mental courage, best of luck

  10. #150

    Re: Oomis - One of Our Own.

    Quote Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
    Why push it? Start over and get on a smaller standard and work up to it again.
    Not sure if you grasp this man's proportions. He's tall. Like 6'5" minimum. Anything smaller than most adventure bikes simply don't fit. I can understand his dilemma quite clearly (I'm not near that tall, but know his height quite well - he's the "Beige Mountain" for a reason).

    If he needs to spend a season or 2 on a Spyder, I say, without a doubt, "GO FOR IT!"
    The man inspires me every single day - plain and simple.
    Last edited by BigEvilDoer; Yesterday at 08:23 PM.


    __________________________________________________ ________
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    - Albert Einstein or Alexandre Dumas or Elbert Hubbard.. take your pick.

  11. #151

    Re: Oomis - One of Our Own.

    Quote Originally Posted by oomis View Post
    Happy (belated?) New Year!

    I'm back at outpatient physio, which is kicking my ***. I go back to the surgeons at Sunnybrook on Tuesday for an assessment. Ideally they'll tell me that the bone graft has gone well and I will have no further need for surgery. It's weighing heavily on me, to be honest. I mean, it's not like I have a choice - if I need another surgery, I need it, but going back into the hospital and rehab... man, I just don't want to get back on that treadmill. I'm feeling strong; hobbling around short distances with no cane or crutches, and managing stairs better than ever, so I am trusting that this is a good sign.

    On another note, I've decided that I will ride again. As you can imagine, this was a big decision. A year ago, I would have told you that I couldn't have imagined my life without riding. All this has put that into perspective and I have had a lot of time to consider what things would be like if I hung up my gloves, and I got to a place where I was really ok with the idea of not riding again. I don't think there's a sane person alive who could have gone through all this and just jumped back on a bike without processing things.

    For me, it came down to a couple of things. If (ever) I was going to quit riding, I wanted it to be on my terms, not because I was too risk-averse to ever get back on. I also thought long and hard about what Linda would have thought about things, and I know in my heart she would have supported the decision to ride again. She knew how much riding added to my life, how much happier riding made me and how much it enriched my life with friends and experiences. She'd be ok with it.

    It's just a matter of how quickly I can get strong. Swinging a leg over a tall ADV bike, which is the most comfortable kind of bike for me, is a tall order. I have to get my legs strong enough, and I don't know if that's going to be something I can do this season. So I'm potentially facing a Spyder or a sidecar. Plusses and minuses to both...

    Anyway, I'm just working hard over here. Physically, mentally and emotionally. I'm just working hard.

    O.
    Great to hear you say you want to ride again.

    Every Thursday you can take a Spyder for a demo ride at Snow City. My wife has one and I do enjoy riding it. It does not lean, but I believe that will be a great thing for you as it is so planted and safe to ride.

  12. #152
    Kedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Halton
    Posts
    516

    Re: Oomis - One of Our Own.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigEvilDoer View Post
    Not sure if you grasp this man's proportions. He's tall. Like 6'5" minimum. Anything smaller than most adventure bikes simply don't fit. I can understand his dilemma quite clearly (I'm not near that tall, but know his height quite well - he's the "Beige Mountain" for a reason).

    If he needs to spend a season or 2 on a Spyder, I say, without a doubt, "GO FOR IT!"
    The man inspires me every single day - plain and simple.
    Nicely stated. Inspiration for us all.
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    There is something wrong with me.

  13. #153

    Re: Oomis - One of Our Own.

    Quote Originally Posted by oomis View Post
    Happy (belated?) New Year!

    I'm back at outpatient physio, which is kicking my ***. I go back to the surgeons at Sunnybrook on Tuesday for an assessment. Ideally they'll tell me that the bone graft has gone well and I will have no further need for surgery. It's weighing heavily on me, to be honest. I mean, it's not like I have a choice - if I need another surgery, I need it, but going back into the hospital and rehab... man, I just don't want to get back on that treadmill. I'm feeling strong; hobbling around short distances with no cane or crutches, and managing stairs better than ever, so I am trusting that this is a good sign.

    On another note, I've decided that I will ride again. As you can imagine, this was a big decision. A year ago, I would have told you that I couldn't have imagined my life without riding. All this has put that into perspective and I have had a lot of time to consider what things would be like if I hung up my gloves, and I got to a place where I was really ok with the idea of not riding again. I don't think there's a sane person alive who could have gone through all this and just jumped back on a bike without processing things.

    For me, it came down to a couple of things. If (ever) I was going to quit riding, I wanted it to be on my terms, not because I was too risk-averse to ever get back on. I also thought long and hard about what Linda would have thought about things, and I know in my heart she would have supported the decision to ride again. She knew how much riding added to my life, how much happier riding made me and how much it enriched my life with friends and experiences. She'd be ok with it.

    It's just a matter of how quickly I can get strong. Swinging a leg over a tall ADV bike, which is the most comfortable kind of bike for me, is a tall order. I have to get my legs strong enough, and I don't know if that's going to be something I can do this season. So I'm potentially facing a Spyder or a sidecar. Plusses and minuses to both...

    Anyway, I'm just working hard over here. Physically, mentally and emotionally. I'm just working hard.

    O.
    Awesome!! Best update so far. So glad to hear you're progressing and going to get on the saddle again. Looking forward to meeting on the road someday soon.

    I was thinking a lowered GS could work better for you in the interim, but it would probably be pricey to upgrade the suspension to the standard height down the road. Would be pretty sweet if you could get on a GS again. Worst case as you'd mention, maybe pickup a used Spyder that you can turn around and sell a season or two later with little depreciation, and then go for that ADV bike.

    Here's to hoping for no more surgery!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •