Police charge man after motorcyclist killed in July on Bayview | GTAMotorcycle.com

Police charge man after motorcyclist killed in July on Bayview

kiwi

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...r-motorcyclist-killed-in-july-on-bayview.html

An Aurora man has been charged after a collision on the Bayview Ave. extension in July left one motorcyclist dead and another hurt.At around 8:05 p.m. on July 8, the driver of a northbound 2016 Honda Accord was attempting to make a U-turn on Bayview, approaching the Beltline Trail area, when the 39-year-old driver struck two northbound motorcycles, police said.
A 35-year-old woman riding a 2010 Honda CBR600 was rushed to the hospital where she was pronounced dead. A 36-year-old man riding a 2014 BMW motorcycle suffered non life-threatening injuries.
Kugatheesh Rasaratnam has been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death. He is scheduled to appear in court in October.
Investigators are asking anyone with information on the collision to contact police at 416-808-1900 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477).

http://www.cp24.com/news/driver-cha...5-killed-near-evergreen-brick-works-1.3541827

Dangerous driving for once? Lets hope this sticks.

Wasn't she only 26? Saw her photo at the Russian church a few days following the accident.
Really unfortunate.
You can give this guy a life sentence, she is gone, nothing will bring her back.

Here's hoping charging these drivers with dangerous driving actually starts to happen more often, and they throw the book at this guy!

Wasn't she only 26? Saw her photo at the Russian church a few days following the accident.
Really unfortunate.
You can give this guy a life sentence, she is gone, nothing will bring her back.
But making an example out of him will teach others to be careful when they do a U turn

Really unfortunate.

Technically, you can't get any more than 14 years

[h=6]Dangerous operation causing death[/h][FONT=&quot](4) Every one who commits an offence under subsection (1) and thereby causes the death of any other person is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.[/FONT]

Here's hoping charging these drivers with dangerous driving actually starts to happen more often, and they throw the book at this guy!

Don't count on it, a car driver who killed a motorcycle rider by crossing the street just in front of him was sentenced to "improper left turn" in North Carolina years ago.

Don't count on it, a car driver who killed a motorcycle rider by crossing the street just in front of him was sentenced to "improper left turn" in North Carolina years ago.

Yeah, the operative part of that statement was "here's hoping". I won't hold my breath though.

Couple problems with your comparison..

1. The charge in this case is dangerous driving, not improper left turn.

2. This North Carolina that you speak of, it's a far away land in a place called America.

Couple problems with your comparison..

1. The charge in this case is dangerous driving, not improper left turn.

2. This North Carolina that you speak of, it's a far away land in a place called America.

There was a case a few years ago posted on this forum where a lady had blown a stop sign and killed a motorcyclist. Initially charged dangerous driving causing death, but was reduced and convicted for improper stop at a stop sign.

well hopefully this one sticks

I don't know what it could be pled down too. A very light sentence, perhaps. Don't think you can jump to HTA (Provincial) charge like Careless from a CC (Federal) charge of Dangerous Oper. With that said, we don't know the circumstances and coming evidence/testimony of the driver, witnesses, riders. The burden will be to prove the elements of the offence as outlined:

Dangerous operation of motor vehicles, vessels and aircraft

• 249 (1) Every one commits an offence who operates
    • (a) a motor vehicle in a manner that is dangerous to the public, having regard to all the circumstances, including the nature, condition and use of the place at which the motor vehicle is being operated and the amount of traffic that at the time is or might reasonably be expected to be at that place;

He belongs in jail for a few years, but it won't happen. Every time this happens the judge falls all over himself to make excuses. When I drive my car and I decide to do a U-turn, I always make sure I'm in a safe location and the way is clear. These people just behave so impulsively and recklessly. I'm getting tired of the whole shooting match - texting, calling, distracted, u-turns killing people, left turns killing people, and on and on. The real problem is that these people aren't being sent to jail when they cause a serious accident.

As far as dangerous driving goes, it is my understanding that he attempted a u-turn in a high speed 4 lane road in (or very close to) a corner. There seem to be enough levels of idiocy there to get dd to stick if the prosecutor has stones.

Yorkregion.com posted his name.

Kugatheesh Rasaratnam, 39, of Aurora, has been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death.

Does no matter what the driver gets nothing will change . The system of aquiring your license has to change . Teach people how to drive not just pass the test . Teach defensive driving and proper road manners . Close loop holes where people from Toronto go north to get their licenses. Driving on two lane roads . On test courses that are posted on all kinds of forums . The dangerous driving charge will probably be lowered to a guilty plea of a lower charge .

Dangerous driving is a criminal charge that has long term consequences, criminal record etc. Putting your future in the hands of a partly trained paralegal isn't IMO a good idea. He might get off on the dangerous driving charge but he won't like the five figure legal tab.

No sympathy from me.

I don't know what it could be pled down too. A very light sentence, perhaps. Don't think you can jump to HTA (Provincial) charge like Careless from a CC (Federal) charge of Dangerous Oper. With that said, we don't know the circumstances and coming evidence/testimony of the driver, witnesses, riders. The burden will be to prove the elements of the offence as outlined:

Dangerous operation of motor vehicles, vessels and aircraft

• 249 (1) Every one commits an offence who operates
    • (a) a motor vehicle in a manner that is dangerous to the public, having regard to all the circumstances, including the nature, condition and use of the place at which the motor vehicle is being operated and the amount of traffic that at the time is or might reasonably be expected to be at that place;

interesting analysis, yeah 2 different court/justice systems
criminal code/court vs. provincial offenses/court

reads like the dude was released on his own recognizance
will not likely show up for his court date
should have been held to post bail seeing as he killed someone

interesting analysis, yeah 2 different court/justice systems
criminal code/court vs. provincial offenses/court

reads like the dude was released on his own recognizance
will not likely show up for his court date
should have been held to post bail seeing as he killed someone

I'm probably being politically incorrect but the driver's name might indicate someone with foreign roots, an escape country. I doubt the escape country has Canadian benefits and opportunities. Enjoy your choices. Canadian jails are better than some third world houses.

Its a real shame that someone has to die before the cops consider laying serious charges. I had someone do the same thing to me. I thought she was slowing to stop in the outside lane of a 4-lane arterial but she pulled a U-turn right in front of me. Fortunately I manage stop just before hitting her. She took off, and I went after her. She wouldn't pull over. We both ended up calling 911 and the cops ended up doing nothing.

Back
Top Bottom