183 in a 70. Another big ticket in Markham. | GTAMotorcycle.com

183 in a 70. Another big ticket in Markham.

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
Time and place people. Time and place.

from yorkregion.com
A motorcyclist was charged after driving more than 2-1/2 times the speed limit in Markham.

On Aug. 8, at around 1:30 p.m., a York Regional Police officer near Ninth Line and Elgin Mills Road spotted a motorcycle travelling at an “extremely high speed”.

The speed was confirmed on the officer’s radar as 183 km/h on a stretch of Ninth Line with a 70 km/h speed limit.

The rider was charged and the motorcycle was impounded for seven days.

Ali Bilal, 33, of Markham, is charged with stunt driving and speeding.

York Regional Police say excessive speed has consistently been the greatest contributing factor in many fatal collisions that have occurred on York Region roads.

So this cop pinpointed such a fast-moving small target to clock him at 183 km/h? He should be a sniper in the army, I find it hard to believe.

Now the other guy, if he doesn't plan on just keep going when called out by a cop, then he should ride without breaking laws.

So this cop pinpointed such a fast-moving small target to clock him at 183 km/h? He should be a sniper in the army, I find it hard to believe.

Now the other guy, if he doesn't plan on just keep going when called out by a cop, then he should ride without breaking laws.

He could have used radar. The cone is huge at distance (easily covers the entire road). If the bike was the only vehicle (quite possible given the roads around there), getting a valid shot is no problem at all.

Back in university, I knew someone who, if caught in this scenario, would flip over his license plate and attempt to outrun the officers, on his bike. I think he said he got away with it a few times, as cops stopped the pursuit once he got in more densely populated areas. His "luck" ran out and he eventually got caught, had his bike impounded and lost his license (both for some time). The way he put it, it didn't sound like a big deal, but I think he came from a very wealthy family & he had quite a number of high-end bikes at a few of his parents properties.

Just for my own curiosity, what would be the penalties for a biker, if he attempted to outrun the officers and then got caught? What if he gets into an accident? What if the officer's cruiser got into an accident?

If my memory serves me correctly, the way my friend got out of one of the pursuits was that he braked, the officer's cruiser followed to closely and rear-ended him (ended up on the cruiser's windshield). I'm vague on the details (this happened +10 years ago), but for whatever reason, that was enough for the prosecution to drop the charges ...

Back in university, I knew someone who, if caught in this scenario, would flip over his license plate and attempt to outrun the officers, on his bike. I think he said he got away with it a few times, as cops stopped the pursuit once he got in more densely populated areas. His "luck" ran out and he eventually got caught, had his bike impounded and lost his license (both for some time). The way he put it, it didn't sound like a big deal, but I think he came from a very wealthy family & he had quite a number of high-end bikes at a few of his parents properties.

Just for my own curiosity, what would be the penalties for a biker, if he attempted to outrun the officers and then got caught? What if he gets into an accident? What if the officer's cruiser got into an accident?

If my memory serves me correctly, the way my friend got out of one of the pursuits was that he braked, the officer's cruiser followed to closely and rear-ended him (ended up on the cruiser's windshield). I'm vague on the details (this happened +10 years ago), but for whatever reason, that was enough for the prosecution to drop the charges ...

Difference between 10+ years ago an now is that everybody has a camera rolling. Probably accused the officer of using excessive force by running over him.

Anyway, if you get caught running, it would fall under the criminal code:

Flight

<dl style="margin-top: 0.2em; margin-bottom: 0.5em; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13.3px;"><dd style="margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px;">(1) Every one commits an offence who, operating a motor vehicle while being pursued by a peace officer operating a motor vehicle, fails, without reasonable excuse and in order to evade the peace officer, to stop the vehicle as soon as is reasonable in the circumstances.</dd></dl>
Punishment

<dl style="margin-top: 0.2em; margin-bottom: 0.5em; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13.3px;"><dd style="margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px;">(2) Every one who commits an offence under subsection (1)<dl style="margin-top: 0.2em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;"><dd style="margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px;">(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or</dd><dd style="margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px;">(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
</dd></dl></dd></dl>Flight causing bodily harm or death
<dl style="margin-top: 0.2em; margin-bottom: 0.5em; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13.3px;"><dd style="margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px;">(3) Every one commits an offence who causes bodily harm to or the death of another person by operating a motor vehicle in a manner described in paragraph 249(1)(a), if the person operating the motor vehicle was being pursued by a peace officer operating a motor vehicle and failed, without reasonable excuse and in order to evade the police officer, to stop the vehicle as soon as is reasonable in the circumstances.</dd></dl>
2000, c. 2, s. 1.

You catch a criminal charge for fleeing. As much as we all ***** about speeding tickets, a criminal charge is much worse. If you crash, they probably add dangerous driving (another criminal charge). If the cop crashes, that shouldn't change the charges the rider gets (assuming the rider didn't directly cause the crash). Normally contact with a police car won't get your charges dropped. Barrie police used to use contact quite frequently when pulling over bikes.

He could have used radar. The cone is huge at distance (easily covers the entire road). If the bike was the only vehicle (quite possible given the roads around there), getting a valid shot is no problem at all.

Hmmm interesting.......

It your willing to go that fast and risk your life then would it not based on that make sense not to stop? Speed is the danger, flashing lights do not add to the real problem.

It your willing to go that fast and risk your life then would it not based on that make sense not to stop? Speed is the danger, flashing lights do not add to the real problem.

Yes and no.

I mean think about how fast you can get to 180+ and back down to legal speeds on your gixxer. It's literally a matter of a few seconds. We don't know if this guy was just cruising down the road at 183 or he decided to open it up through a couple of gears from a light.

Also attempting to flee and getting charged criminally can ruin your life.

Like a cold beer once you crack it your committed. But yeah only takes a few and I not sure why one would stop if doing that in a dense 70km/h area. Just donot risk it at all

Hmmm interesting.......

Old technology but you might get the point.

[video=youtube;GB16prlxz8A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB16prlxz8A[/video]

Virtually all the information in the world is at your fingertips yet you constantly choose to use your own logic. Makes reading your posts amusing and a bit sad at the same time. Pick a search engine and use it.

Last edited:
Matte black bikes are faster ;) ;). So the police cars use radar and if sitting they use the laser? More research needed

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Again shows your total lack of knowledge. At anymore than as stated at 50' the radar beam would encompass both lanes of a single lane roadway, (which the 9th line would be in that area). At 100+' it would encompass all lanes on the 401. The officer certainly isn't a sniper he merely had to point the radar device in the correct direction.

Last edited:

IKR, if you are going to **** around like that, why stop halfway? Don't do the crime if you aren't willing to risk a high-speed chase. Mask your license plate before you pull out of the driveway. Leave your helmet at home

I don't know the area very well, but there must surely be lots of lonely country roads within a few miles of Markham where nobody would see or hear a motorcycle doing 90mph. It is silly to do it in a built-up area where there is plenty of other traffic

This guy was just begging to get charged

Yes and no.

I mean think about how fast you can get to 180+ and back down to legal speeds on your gixxer. It's literally a matter of a few seconds. We don't know if this guy was just cruising down the road at 183 or he decided to open it up through a couple of gears from a light.

Also attempting to flee and getting charged criminally can ruin your life.

I know what you're trying to say but you're vastly understating how fast you get up 183. Don't know the area but 70km/h suggests to me a straight clear section of road. Not saying it was a good idea, but it's easy enough to do that getting caught for that would still be a big leap to running from the police. Anyone know what the HTA 172 conviction rate is these days?

I know what you're trying to say but you're vastly understating how fast you get up 183. Don't know the area but 70km/h suggests to me a straight clear section of road. Not saying it was a good idea, but it's easy enough to do that getting caught for that would still be a big leap to running from the police. Anyone know what the HTA 172 conviction rate is these days?

That speed is easily possible with a 2 car pass.

Pretty much. 2nd gear and 6 seconds on a 600. (from a stand still)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Tell me about it. On a honda demo ride years ago, I was just switching into 3rd (at redline in 2) when we passed a cop. He didn't bother trying (thankfully).

Back
Top Bottom