Smallest/Fuel efficient car that can tow a motorcycle trailer | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Smallest/Fuel efficient car that can tow a motorcycle trailer

I love my Subaru. Never tow with it, but I ran my 2001 forester to 450,000 and my 2011 is at 300,000. Solid and safe cars. But never get them in auto. Winter is just not as fun

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

How about posting cars that you're actually interested in and letting us sort through them from there?

That might be easier vs people randomly suggesting cars/makes/models you potentially don't even like.

Last edited:
I towed an open motorcycle trailer that weight range with 2 bikes on it, with a diesel Jetta manual, for years.

my dad lent me his jetta turbo diesel for a week, unbelievable fuel mileage, I didn't measure fuel mileage but ball park I wouldn't doubt it was 5L/100kms when short shifting.
and the little sucker would go good if you brought the revs up when needed. I never looked at my truck the same since. +1^

Last edited:
Toyota Yaris. I've witnessed one pull a trailer with multiple karts and racing equipment numerous times.

My mazda 3 wagon does a good job of pulling a trailer, but I prefer towing with the Odessey.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Volt's can 'capably' tow a 4x8 trailer, loaded, cross country, through hills, while averaging 22-24mpg without any charging enroute:
https://www.reddit.com/r/volt/commen...ss_the_us_ama/

A vfr ought to fit in a 4x8 comfortably, right?

I had uhaul install the hitch, it's a 1 1/4 inch, rated for 2000 lbs. You can make the purchase on their website and then they install it all without hidden charges. They actually swapped the ball riser for a more expensive one and I didn't have to pay the difference... they also did the lighting wiring.
The trailer itself was ~850 lbs when empty, but I packed it pretty full of stuff. It's hard to be sure, but my guess is the trailer weighed 1200-1400 lbs when loaded.

Also found out a 6'4 man can sleep in the back:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....ping-made-easy

How about posting cars that you're actually interested in and letting us sort through them from there?

That might be easier vs people randomly suggesting cars/makes/models you potentially don't even like.

How about some diesel cars?

Volt's can 'capably' tow a 4x8 trailer, loaded, cross country, through hills, while averaging 22-24mpg without any charging enroute:
https://www.reddit.com/r/volt/commen...ss_the_us_ama/

A vfr ought to fit in a 4x8 comfortably, right?

I had uhaul install the hitch, it's a 1 1/4 inch, rated for 2000 lbs. You can make the purchase on their website and then they install it all without hidden charges. They actually swapped the ball riser for a more expensive one and I didn't have to pay the difference... they also did the lighting wiring.
The trailer itself was ~850 lbs when empty, but I packed it pretty full of stuff. It's hard to be sure, but my guess is the trailer weighed 1200-1400 lbs when loaded.

Also found out a 6'4 man can sleep in the back:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....ping-made-easy

Seriously, considering a volt now...

How about some diesel cars?

Seriously, considering a volt now...

I was badly curious as soon as I read this thread, and after reading that towing and camping thread, my mind is going haywire thinking of how I'd use it in combination with my SUV. Just wished my wife would have bought this instead of a comparatively useless mazda sedan.

I tow a 5x8 enclosed V-nose all aluminium trailer with a 2016 VW GTI

my harborfreight.com trailer probably weighs 1/2 of that u-haul trailer. Pulled 2 VFRs on it with my subaru and because I was only doing backroads (80km/h) my mileage actually got better, went from 10L/100km to 8L/100km

probably closer to a 1/4, those Uhaul trailers are tanks

Towed 1 bike with a Yaris from Whitby to Calabogie and back. It was manual and had stiffer lowering springs. Went through 3 sets of rotors under warranty :)

Older diesel Jetta/Golf, Civic, Fit, Yaris/Echo. Basically anything bigger than a Smart car.

my harborfreight.com trailer probably weighs 1/2 of that u-haul trailer. Pulled 2 VFRs on it with my subaru and because I was only doing backroads (80km/h) my mileage actually got better, went from 10L/100km to 8L/100km
What year/model subaru?
I assume a newer, non turbo with CVT?

Back
Top Bottom