Left turn at the lights | GTAMotorcycle.com

Left turn at the lights

How do you deal with a left (unprotected) turn at a green light when a group of cars facing you (waiting to make their left turn) is blocking the view?

The situation is relevant in a car but I find it somehow easier to creep forward in a car until I can see the way is clear. The consequences of making a mistake are less dramatic in a car. I also find that starting to move forward on a bike to allow a better view invites a car behind me to start moving... and I don't trust it to stop if I do.

Is it a matter of confidence and sound judgement or there are some tips you can share?

Thanks for all the help.

Peter

Just 10 minutes ago I had a cab go AROUND me on the right as I sat in the middle of the intersection waiting to turn left as there was oncoming traffic (turning left AND going straight through). The cab proceeded to just drive in front of the oncoming cars after he nosed infront of them causing them to panic stop.

It was unreal. I have never felt less in control of a situation. It is impossible to block the lane with a bike at this particular intersection (Fort York/Dan Leckie). Traffic laws don't seem to apply to anyone in that 'hood.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

I had this happening to me while driving a car. An impatient driver behind me pulling out and proceeding to turn left, going around me on the right. If I started to move at the same time... especially on a bike, things would turn bad.

That would be giving up :)
Lol, yeah but I wasn't trying to be flippant. Like you, I feel vulnerable in this situation, some intersections worse than others. All I can say is, don't point your wheel left, but straight ahead. Last thing you want is to be hit from behind into oncoming. But you probably already know that from the handbook. Think about how much time you are really saving making that difficult left vs. doing three rights. I makes lefts too, but will avoid when possible.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Some intersections I move to the left track, which you shouldn't do on your M2X test.

Some intersections I move to the left track, which you shouldn't do on your M2X test.
I always do this when getting ready to turn unless I have a clear view. Didn't know it's a failed point on M2 exit. (Strange... I suppose they just want you to wait until the view is clear?) Thank you!

Go to the left side of your lane so that you have the best chance at seeing what is coming.

If you still can't see what's coming and be comfortable with the situation ... stay put. Doesn't matter if someone behind you doesn't like it.

Being honked at is better than getting creamed by something you didn't see.

Go to the left side of your lane so that you have the best chance at seeing what is coming.

If you still can't see what's coming and be comfortable with the situation ... stay put. Doesn't matter if someone behind you doesn't like it.

This

Lol, yeah but I wasn't trying to be flippant. Like you, I feel vulnerable in this situation, some intersections worse than others. All I can say is, don't point your wheel left, but straight ahead. Last thing you want is to be hit from behind into oncoming. But you probably already know that from the handbook. Think about how much time you are really saving making that difficult left vs. doing three rights. I makes lefts too, but will avoid when possible.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

And this
Just 10 minutes ago I had a cab go AROUND me on the right as I sat in the middle of the intersection waiting to turn left as there was oncoming traffic (turning left AND going straight through). The cab proceeded to just drive in front of the oncoming cars after he nosed infront of them causing them to panic stop.

It was unreal. I have never felt less in control of a situation. It is impossible to block the lane with a bike at this particular intersection (Fort York/Dan Leckie). Traffic laws don't seem to apply to anyone in that 'hood.

Kind of glad those are going extinct, the way of uber, i have found them to be better drivers, and more well rounded human beings in general

Cabbies cant drive for ****, and dont give a ****(its not their car)

Was in a stick situation with one of those cabbies, almost 10 years ago

What Brian said. At an intersection, in the left turn lane, being able to see and be seen by oncoming traffic is generally more important than maintaining a blocking position. And that's the important thing to remember; BEING SEEN.

I live here. That intersection has always been problematic - it was even worse before they put traffic lights in, although the issue you mention is a direct consequence of the traffic lights.

On a bike, you have the advantage of being able to stand on your toes (or even stand on your pegs while inching up, trials-style) to look above the oncoming left-turners, but that advantage is negated if the left-turners happen to be tall SUVs or trucks. In that case, I tend to inch forward and tap my horn while gradually clearing my own view of the oncoming straight-through traffic. Then I just sort of gun it.

Crappy intersection indeed. Oh and cab drivers are the worst.

Last edited:
In a car I pull out to mid and hug the yellow line so I can see. But on a Bike I stay at the white line near the yellow until its clear. I never feel rushed and take my time. I give my self more room here then in a car. If you go out into the middle the car behind you will as well. Now you are pinned from both sides. If you cant see dont go. **** anyone that honks at you, its your life and no left is worth rushing.

I don't bother to enter the intersection unless I know I'll be able to complete the turn.

I don't want to get stuck in the middle of the turning area when the light turns red and arseholes start running the red going the opposite direction.

Guess I am different. I sit in the right tyre track, just a little bit over. I have an escape if somebody is coming up on my six. I have somewhere to go with traffic in my direction. I feel sitting in the left track I have nowhere to go. The only place I can go is forward. Yes I understand I can turn to the right but there is rarely enough room, or time. I have the protection of the vehicle in front of me. If they are hit by an oncoming vehicle I have an escape to the right. I`m really not interested in what I see travelling towards me. Once the vehicle(Or vehicles) in front of me is clear then perhaps I can see oncoming traffic. Now I feel safer as I now have a few outs. I always assume there are going to be red light runners. Everybody is in a hurry. So if I am stuck hopefully the traffic that has the right to proceed can see me. Yes, I know not guaranteed. Guess the only way to prove it is to see if I am still posting. Therefore, if I am wrong at least I can say,"oopppsss my bad, lost that one"

I don't bother to enter the intersection unless I know I'll be able to complete the turn.

I don't want to get stuck in the middle of the turning area when the light turns red and arseholes start running the red going the opposite direction.

Nothing wrong with entering the intersection, just as long as no one else is already lined up so your not running the red like the rest of the GTA drivers who line up 3-4 in the intersection for a left hand turn.

OP, like others said; left tire track for visibility, and wait if you are unsure. I've waited until the light goes red to make sure oncoming traffic stops and have no issues doing so.

Guess I am different. I sit in the right tyre track, just a little bit over. I have an escape if somebody is coming up on my six. I have somewhere to go with traffic in my direction. I feel sitting in the left track I have nowhere to go. The only place I can go is forward. Yes I understand I can turn to the right but there is rarely enough room, or time. I have the protection of the vehicle in front of me. If they are hit by an oncoming vehicle I have an escape to the right. I`m really not interested in what I see travelling towards me. Once the vehicle(Or vehicles) in front of me is clear then perhaps I can see oncoming traffic. Now I feel safer as I now have a few outs. I always assume there are going to be red light runners. Everybody is in a hurry. So if I am stuck hopefully the traffic that has the right to proceed can see me. Yes, I know not guaranteed. Guess the only way to prove it is to see if I am still posting. Therefore, if I am wrong at least I can say,"oopppsss my bad, lost that one"

How are you able to see around the oncoming left turning traffic when in the right tire track? Makes sense if you are waiting for your turn to make the left but when you are that vehicle making the left, you have next to no visibility of oncoming traffic in the right tire track.

How are you able to see around the oncoming left turning traffic when in the right tire track? Makes sense if you are waiting for your turn to make the left but when you are that vehicle making the left, you have next to no visibility of oncoming traffic in the right tire track.

At this moment in time I am not really interested in traffic coming towards me. I am interested in what is behind me. My safety zone is covered by the stationary vehicle in front of me. They are my forward protection. What is on my six is of more concern. I would be a direct hit from behind. My emergency escape route is to go forward matching with the same direction as traffic. As opposed going forward into oncoming traffic. If I do not have a vehicle in front of me and I am waiting, I still want a safe out. Not forcing me to have only one choice, I prefer the option of turning both left and right, without too much of a dramatic move.

At this moment in time I am not really interested in traffic coming towards me. I am interested in what is behind me. My safety zone is covered by the stationary vehicle in front of me. They are my forward protection. What is on my six is of more concern. I would be a direct hit from behind. My emergency escape route is to go forward matching with the same direction as traffic. As opposed going forward into oncoming traffic. If I do not have a vehicle in front of me and I am waiting, I still want a safe out. Not forcing me to have only one choice, I prefer the option of turning both left and right, without too much of a dramatic move.

I get your point and agree if you are waiting behind a vehicle for your turn at a left, but after that it all goes out the window.

Thank you for everyone 's take on this. Good to know I am not the only one feeling it is a very volnurable position for a bike. Gives more confidence to wait until I am certain the way is clear and ignore the impatient honks behind!

Back
Top Bottom