Solo trip on a DR650 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Solo trip on a DR650

skeo

Hello, I am looking for some guidance. I am going to be in between jobs as of next week and decided to take some time to do a trip north. I don't have a route planned and was hoping to get some guidance.

I am thinking of the following:
Toronto --> Tobermory --> Ferry to Manitoulin and then to Sudbury via Espanola --> North bay --> Toronto

This is approximately 1100kms. Not necessarily stopping in those places, but as an overall route I have just looked at the route on Google Maps. I am looking to stay off the major highways and to mostly meander my way through these places looking to do 400-450km/day tops. I can bring camping gear and hope to mostly camp, but staying in a B&B or the like might be welcome by day 3. I can extend the length of my trip since I have a lot of time off :)

I have a few concerns: I am doing this trip solo and wanted to see as much gravel/dirt roads, but also not be screwed if I go down or something happens. I am riding a DR650 on rubber I would definitely call 50/50, so highway pounding isn't my idea of fun, but I realize it is necessary to cover the ground.

I'm generally looking for any input in terms of routes, concerns or general guidance.

You should be okay ... but why not do the Grand Algoma while you are up there

https://www.algomacountry.com/touring/motorcycle/grand-algoma-tour/

You can plot a meandering route up to Tobermory - camp there then take the ferry in the morning.

Then meander to Chapleau and you could even turn right and come across the top to Rouyn Noranda to North Bay and then the Huntsville back roads and work your way home.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ed4vU4imUqo

Lots of guys here can point out some decent dirt roads up that way.

I personally don't think you need to do slab at all.

This might be better with a another rider but a good ride is north through Elliot lake take the logging roads to Aubrey Falls then your choice Chapleau Wawa or Searchmount have a look on Goggle earth follow the signs for the OFSC snowmobile trails , if your camping bring a fishing rod

Thanks for the ideas so far. I am still on the fence about how far north I will go, especially around Chapleau --> Timmins since there is no cellular reception. Since I'm riding alone, I will try to carry basic stuff to get me out of a bind (a flat tube or some minor bike repair), but I have a concern for the case that something happens and I can't reach anyone.

Am I being naive/unprepared to beat around up there without a radio/GPS beacon or the like? I will have a phone and a GPS to navigate, but that's all I was thinking of taking. Any thoughts in this regard?

I would not do any serious offroading solo.
If you stay on major gravel roads, you will be okay.
But getting stuck in the mud on a trail with zero traffic will not be fun.

Make sure you always have enough gas because stations are sparse up north and many shut down early.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I am still on the fence about how far north I will go, especially around Chapleau --> Timmins since there is no cellular reception. Since I'm riding alone, I will try to carry basic stuff to get me out of a bind (a flat tube or some minor bike repair), but I have a concern for the case that something happens and I can't reach anyone.

Am I being naive/unprepared to beat around up there without a radio/GPS beacon or the like? I will have a phone and a GPS to navigate, but that's all I was thinking of taking. Any thoughts in this regard?

I would have a compass and a topo map if you plan on going to aubrey falls via north of iron bridge/elliot lake. This area is nothing short of incredible. It is littered with small to larger lakes, the camping is free, the fishing -wow lol, every creek or river has good populations of brook trout and they are easy to catch with a worm, hook, and small split shot weight. This would be the highlight of your trip if you like being in the wild - but you will see others... The main logging roads are still somewhat active and logging trucks often use the whole width of the road, so be prepared to ride off the road to the right...In my opinion 129 to chapleau is kind of a northern version of riding slab. I would spend a night at aubrey falls and then turn around and go back south or west to searchmont.
I lived in algoma district for a decade and a half. August is a great month to be in the bush, the flies are down and the lakes warm enough for swimming. I would try to have someone to ride with-for company. +1 for searchmont.

Last edited:
OP DR is pretty solid. Make sure your battery is good. There will be decent traffic so not great worry and for sure get a CAA Premiere ...best $99 you can spend.

I did that area on an RD400 50 years ago .....it's not THAT remote. :D

OP DR is pretty solid. Make sure your battery is good. There will be decent traffic so not great worry and for sure get a CAA Premiere ...best $99 you can spend.

I did that area on an RD400 50 years ago .....it's not THAT remote. :D

I would guess that what you did was the now named deer trail route. hwy 108,639, and 546. They are paved now, and a great ride. If you are going to travel the logging roads through the bush to aubrey falls - such as portelance or camp eight roads, plus the ~ 100 off shoots, I would be prepared. I had two friends get lost in this general area, both req'd hospitalization - one for exposure, primarily for bug bites (3 days lost), another who was treated for hypothermia (winter-sled down).

Last edited:
the mainline logging roads are actually quite good. the offshoots are mostly single lane cart tracks, and often lead to a lake. I would take a dr650 in a heart beat.

Don't think OP is quite that ambitious.

Not this trip :)

If I had a buddy or lived in the area things would be different. Logging roads/offshoots are where the fun is and I get that. But it just takes one weird rut/log to land you in pain in a forest alone without cell service.

I would guess that what you did was the now named deer trail route. hwy 108,639, and 546. They are paved now, and a great ride. If you are going to travel the logging roads through the bush to aubrey falls - such as portelance or camp eight roads, plus the ~ 100 off shoots, I would be prepared.

Thanks for the input, that makes sense. I'm mainly trying to avoid being those two guys :) I want to have fun, fut I also recognize my abilities and the fact I am alone

Last edited:
Not this trip :)

If I had a buddy or lived in the area things would be different. Logging roads/offshoots are where the fun is and I get that. But it just takes one weird rut/log to land you in pain in a forest alone without cell service.

Thanks for the input, that makes sense. I'm mainly trying to avoid being those two guys :) I want to have fun, fut I also recognize my abilities and the fact I am alone

lol. dang sensible people. yeah, I get a little excited when reflecting on this area. The deer trail route is a great ride and relatively short. It is worth going out of your way a little to ride.
https://www.algomacountry.com/touring/drive-rv-tours/deer-trail-drive/

Last edited:
If you are anywhere near Searchmont, then might as well do Ranger Lake Rd (80km of hard-packed, twisty gravel) to the 129, and then head south to Thessalon.

If you can find one, the old Delorme branded (not the newer Garmin ones) Inreach satellite two way communicators are on clearout and they have the same functions as the new ones and are still supported. You can send "texts" 2 way to any cellphone via the systems anywhere you might be in the world and you can pair them to your cellphone via Bluetooth and download free topo and road maps too. The plans aren't too pricey and you can also put the plan into hibernate mode for the winter for $5 a month I think. It is also an SOS beacon and you can post location updates or real time tracks to social media for family to see too. I got it mainly to send texts when out of cell phone areas which I'm finding quite a few of my rides are and also in the unlikely event that I have a get off in the woods or into a ditch somewhere out of cellphone range.

If you are anywhere near Searchmont, then might as well do Ranger Lake Rd (80km of hard-packed, twisty gravel) to the 129, and then head south to Thessalon.

Shane makes a good point. 5 of us were up that way on KLRs about 3 weeks ago. Searchmont / Ranger lake rd is good.

Also consider the Sultan Industrial rd. It connects 560 in the east with the 667 in the west. Although it's a private it road it's also open to public traffic - all good twisty gravel, although when I did it I was on my GoldWing at that time. Should be great on the DR.

We did some rough/vagrant camping (lots of places that far north) as well as some time spent camped at Pancake Bay Prov park.

Back
Top Bottom