Not so safe racing suits and gears | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Not so safe racing suits and gears

Go to a good shop that deals with this all the time (I suggest Riders Choice) and get them to fit it all to you. Leathers will need to be sized to what you are putting under them. If you pay for the quality but not the fancy graphics that's the way to go. Don't cheap out, buy the best you can afford. It has to be comfortable on the bike (not necessarily while walking LOL)

On track, the most important safety device is sitting on your shoulders. From your other post it sounds like you did a banzai dive bomb pass attempt that was doomed to fail. Passing safely is something that comes with experience.

you could be in a bubble. if you highside high enough your gonna get get hurt.

If you get a Scott Stevens level body check, it's not the equipment that failed to protect you, it's that you got rocked by Scott Stevens. No equipment is going to let you walk away from a big crash with no marks. It's there to make is less painful that if you weren't wearing it.

I have the Alpinestar Motegi, which is similar to the suit you have. I've crashed 12 times in it (all low sides). It's held up pretty well but has needed some repairs/patches along the way. Thankfully, I haven't gotten hurt. I've landed on knees and elbows and have been lucky.

Hopefully you heal up and get back out there safely!

This is very interesting. 37 years ago we crashed and went to the hospital. The suits were mint in most cases,, our bodies took the beating. Now I see guys wade it up at 120 KPH and complain they need to get the suit fixed so they can ride tomorrow. Pretty interesting. If you buy an off the rack suit you get off the rack protection. If the elbow pad,, what ever the quality,, is not on your elbow it isn't doing anything. So the best protection is a well fitting suit. The second best protection is good armour. Most suits supply crap for armour. So want to test your armour? Feed your best friend 6 beers and give him a 20 pound hammer. Then put the elbow pad over your hand and let your buddy take a swing. Think it will hurt, maybe break your hand? So if you won't do it them why would you where it on the track? So buy a cost friendly suit and spend the money on armour! You can take it to your next suit. You can never have enough armour! Or buy a really good fitting custom suit Like Pilot,, not some ebay $600 smoking deal custom suit. A real one. Two types of riders,, those that have been down and those that are going down,,,plan for the worst and don't trust anybody. If you won't let your buddy take a swing with the hammer look for something else. Any crash usually involves one big hit, minimum. That hit is your body weight plus your speed. Trust me,, when you are flying through the air at 213 KPH in corner 8 at CTMP,, it's not the time to consider your investment!. Would you buy the cheapest parachute?

Would you buy the cheapest parachute?

Squids dont need suits

KDaHKO5.gif

and learn how to crash, tuck and roll, don't put your arms out, don't try to stand up until your sure you've stopped moving. turtle like you mean it. it will help

and learn how to crash, tuck and roll, don't put your arms out, don't try to stand up until your sure you've stopped moving. turtle like you mean it. it will help

Snowboarding is great for teaching you this. Lots of crashes to practice on and your shoulders will let you know if you screwed it up.

Thanks Bickle Racing for the answer and everyone above with positive feedback. When I crazhed, it wasn't fast comparing to most corners in Mosport, maybe only at 70khp. I already relaxed my body and muscles as possible. Yep its the height and your body weight plus speed broke my bones. I wish I couldve had some armours on my knees could absorb some energy from the impact. And a pair of better design racing boots aswell.

its unfortunate that a lot of us upgrade our gear AFTER we crash, you still end up spending the $$ on the good stuff, plus what you spent on the budget stuff, plus any possible injuries from the crash.

Thanks Bickle Racing for the answer and everyone above with positive feedback. When I crazhed, it wasn't fast comparing to most corners in Mosport, maybe only at 70khp. I already relaxed my body and muscles as possible. Yep its the height and your body weight plus speed broke my bones. I wish I couldve had some armours on my knees could absorb some energy from the impact. And a pair of better design racing boots aswell.

My atem has knee, shin, hip, elbow and shoulder pads and probably some that I'm forgetting. Hope you heal up fast. In the old days some of us wore hockey equipment under and over our suits...

SMX-6 aren't racing boots. so there's that. They're considered a sport boot.

Info on the Atem Suit:
  • CE certified shoulder, elbow, hip, knee and tibia protectors
So I don't know where your suits armour disappeared to. If you land from high side on your knees, it won't matter what you have, it's going to hurt

I got an accident in the race track early July, it's highsided in the corner. My Alpinestar one-piece racing suits(atem) and brand new smx-6 vented boot did not help. I got kneecaps frature and did 1 left foot toe bone too. I stayed in hospital for 2 weeks because of that. This made me think why most of the racing suits don't have kneecaps and elbow protection unless you go for the top of the line which cost over 2k or 3k for, like some dainese ones. And most one-piece already cost more than a grand for it. We rely so much on it and trust it all in the case of unfortunate happens. I really want to blame on Alphinestar this time.

Do you have pics of the aftermath? I'm intrested to see what you mean by not having sufficient protection and how it looked like.

High-sides are very scary,

I have an Alpinestar suit, but I don't recall the model off the top of my head, but Ihave had both 1/2 c Dianese and Alipinestar, but sold the 2 pc to a track friend.

its unfortunate that a lot of us upgrade our gear AFTER we crash, you still end up spending the $$ on the good stuff, plus what you spent on the budget stuff, plus any possible injuries from the crash.

Agreed, I had a slow speed low side that gave me severe sciatic nerve pain due to a compressed S5 and L1 vertebrae before I realized that good gear pays for itself. That and that street riding is the most pointless affair imaginable.

Last edited:
I disagree, this looks like it would be pretty close to invincible

0kYYnpH.gif
The suit can be pretty close to invincible. The guy inside is still just a bag of mostly slimy water that doesn't handle sudden stops very well.

Back
Top Bottom