Scooter rental - hit and run or am I being taken advantage of? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scooter rental - hit and run or am I being taken advantage of?

MSRP

Hi Folks,

Hoping to get your thoughts on next best actions regarding a situation with a scooter rental company.

When signing over rental contracts, there was no point where we walked around the scooter, pointing out any damages that were pre-existing. There was also no choice of scooter, I asked for a Vespa, and that was that.

After signing off the standard rental contract, we waited outside curbside while an employee pulled up a Vespa.
Quick refresher on center stand operation, steering lock, and I'm off. Again, no industry-standard of walk around, nor documenting existing conditions. Severe lack of attention on my part, I normally make a video on my phone. My fault for sure.

Upon return of the scooter, the first thing an employee stated there was is new damage.
Dammit, okay, frankly I didn't pay attention nor notice it during my 24 hours, but I certainly didn't lay it down.
Upon review, damages look consistent with it being tipped over while stationary, about a 4x4" square of rash vertically on the left side of the scooter, and some on the seam of the top box. Consistent with my parking of backing up the rear tire to curb, and on the center stand, with steering locked to the left side. Merchant states that "they would never rent out a Vespa with damage".

The only time I can think of where this could have happened was street-parked during dinner. I've already revisited the shops where I parked in front of, to see if their security cameras caught anything (might not be working, just for show), and to inquire with the staff working that day if anyone reported a hit and run on the vespa. Made friends with the restaurant, and he's going to follow up with the patio owner on my behalf. This is all pending.

Beyond that, once they submit the estimate for repairs, I'm going to pass it off to my credit card resolutions team and have them sort it out with the merchant. I talked with my credit card company, and they said this was the best course of action--not to dispute the charge against $1,500 damage deposit, but to ask the merchant to follow up with documentation.

I understand how this looks for the merchant, and of course he's doing what he needs to do to protect his livelihood. And in the same breath, I'm just dotting my I's and crossing my T's to make sure that I'm not being taken advantage of.

Ultimately the responsibility for damages is likely mine, but something bugs me as their employees immediately jumped to the conclusion and accused me of being dishonest. I eventually calmed them down talking honestly and sternly. They never asked me to sign off any "I caused this damage" document either, which is wild considering how Enterprise asked me to sign and intial off a million documents in a similar situation years ago.

No, Visa's rental insurance does not cover scooter rentals, exotic cars, cargo vans/trucks..
If damages exceed my deductible on my insurance, I may push it off through them.

Just venting I suppose, I dont' think there's much more I can do at this point.

Do you have to pay a deductible on a hit and run or vandalism?

Not sure.. my other cars/bikes are all old and have never had to deal with this before.
Would this be bike or car insurance?
Car insurance has $400 collision/upset, $200 comprehensive deductibles, $500/$500 on the bike insurance.

Do you have to pay a deductible on a hit and run or vandalism?

This likely isn't in Canada so the rules may be entirely different.

MSRP, thx for the reminder to take videos of rental vehicles. We have all been guilty of becoming complacent when we haven't be burned lately.

Does your existing auto policy have rental coverage add on? If so, that should cover it. I know Allstate does.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

My first question would be of proving that it was not there prior to your rental. If you didn't sign anything that stated it was mint without any damage, my response would be "prove it wasn't there to begin with". Tough luck for the business but that might teach them to do a walk around with proper documentation next time. Don't know any sort of legality on that approach so YMMV.

My
Scooter
Rental
Persecution

It all makes sense now.

Thanks for the chuckle.

This likely isn't in Canada so the rules may be entirely different.

MSRP, thx for the reminder to take videos of rental vehicles. We have all been guilty of becoming complacent when we haven't be burned lately.

Love the way Turo does it. A required step before handing over the keys, uploaded directly into your account which Turo has access to. Rental happened in Canada, Quebec to be specific.

Does your existing auto policy have rental coverage add on? If so, that should cover it. I know Allstate does.

I'm with allstate on all vehicles, and have full coverage on the car and extended to cover my america-trips. Fingers crossed.

My first question would be of proving that it was not there prior to your rental. If you didn't sign anything that stated it was mint without any damage, my response would be "prove it wasn't there to begin with". Tough luck for the business but that might teach them to do a walk around with proper documentation next time. Don't know any sort of legality on that approach so YMMV.

I'll wait until I get their estimate. I could buff the scratches off the metal panels myself, but if they charge for full body panel replacement, I'll know where I stand. Scratches on the topcase will likely be more involved/replacement..

Ugh, wouldn't this go under collision though as MSRP has no proof of a hit and run? Like most other 2 wheel hiccups, I'd rather pay the damage than take the insurance hit (assuming the repair price is <$2000).

Ugh, wouldn't this go under collision though as MSRP has no proof of a hit and run? Like most other 2 wheel hiccups, I'd rather pay the damage than take the insurance hit (assuming the repair price is <$2000).
It would be better if it was claimed under vandalism. No insurance hit that way. That's been my experience.

This is worth repeating....in the absence of a document stating that the scooter was in mint condition before how does OP know he's not being taken advantage of? How does OP know if there was a tip over but that there was pre-existing damage? These kinds of documents exist to protect both parties. I'd be reluctant to pay out in this situation unless I absolutely knew I was at fault and absolutely knew the condition of the bike in those areas when I rented it.

This is worth repeating....in the absence of a document stating that the scooter was in mint condition before how does OP know he's not being taken advantage of? How does OP know if there was a tip over but that there was pre-existing damage? These kinds of documents exist to protect both parties. I'd be reluctant to pay out in this situation unless I absolutely knew I was at fault and absolutely knew the condition of the bike in those areas when I rented it.

Agree, although a lot depends on how the credit card company feels about this. There is a pre-authorized $1500. If the cc company agrees that there is no proof of damage and therefore they are happy cancelling that charge you are good. If the cc company allows the rental company to take the money, good luck getting it back.

If a legit charge had been made on the card with that business, the pre-authorized hold will stay until the business removes it. The CC company won't remove it. Even canceling the card won't get it off your "record"....with the same CC company.

Ask them to prove to you that the scoot wasn't damaged before you took it. I've had the same with dealerships, and one dealer damaged my wheels. When I confronted them "Can you prove it wasn't like that before you came? We can go to court if you want and we will see how it goes." Never stepped foot in that service department again....bastards.

If they charge the card, just call the issuer and dispute the charge. Tell them you're being charged for something that you didn't do and you'd like an investigation of the charges. Might work, but since no one has proof it's a 'he said he said' type of thing.

Crappy situation.

Two things - yeah - photos, photos, photos. Whenever I rent ANYTHING I actually take video, walking around in circles getting it from every angle including the salesperson writing the contract during the inspection. I know you realize this mistake now, but I'm obsessive about it. I still have videos from MC rentals in the Caribbean years ago, for that matter.

And secondly - get an American Express and use it whenever possible. They are extremely customer-oriented vs merchant oriented and when it comes to these sorts of situations they will side with YOU first by default, and make the merchant prove their case, not the other way around. I've had an AmEx for about 25 years now and they have saved my bacon on a few occasions with fraudulent or incorrect charges, and it was always super easy...whereas I had a few nightmares with other cards, including a TD Visa. I carry no credit cards whatsoever anymore aside from the AmEx. Yeah, I know they're not accepted everywhere, but whenever it's an option for me, it's one I use.

....If they charge the card, just call the issuer and dispute the charge. Tell them you're being charged for something that you didn't do and you'd like an investigation of the charges. Might work, but since no one has proof it's a 'he said he said' type of thing.

See my post above yours. Worth trying anyways though. Maybe it was just my cc issuer. Once the hold was released, I canceled the card # and got a new one.

Back
Top Bottom