Noob getting bored, happened to anyone ? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Noob getting bored, happened to anyone ?

it's the kind of riding you're doing: puttering around, commuting to visit friends, etc.
As others have already mentioned, riding around in traffic gets boring fast.
The problem with staying in Toronto is that the roads within Toronto are pretty lousy, interest wise. To find anything interesting, you have to ride outside of Toronto, and to be able to do that, you'll need to be on a 400 series highway, on a seat that's comfortable, wearing a helmet that's comfortable.

Having said that, when I first started riding, I got excited just sitting on the bike and didn't need much of an excuse to ride just about anywhere.

Do you like carving a corner (e.g. when snowboarding, or skiing)? Do you like mountain biking? Or do you like watching scenery go by?
Do you have your M2 yet? What distance are you comfortable riding right now? What roads have you been on? What area of Etobicoke are you in?

Having said that, when I first started riding, I got excited just sitting on the bike and didn't need much of an excuse to ride just about anywhere.

A good point. If riding is really something you're genuinely into, well... a trip to the grocery store to pickup a loaf of bread should be exciting, especially in your first season of riding.

I too remember when I first started riding that anything was fun - I'd look for an excuse to go anywhere, anytime, often for no particular reason.

If as a newbie you're already bored, well, try all these suggestions (honestly, get OUT of the city, plan a 300+KM full day and get north!), but the distinct possibility exists that perhaps the whole riding thing just isn't your bag.

The routes in the link posted by MacDoc are all excellent. I found most of those roads by trial and error , playing with Google maps, over my first couple of years of riding.

it's the kind of riding you're doing: puttering around, commuting to visit friends, etc.
As others have already mentioned, riding around in traffic gets boring fast.
The problem with staying in Toronto is that the roads within Toronto are pretty lousy, interest wise. To find anything interesting, you have to ride outside of Toronto, and to be able to do that, you'll need to be on a 400 series highway, on a seat that's comfortable, wearing a helmet that's comfortable.

Do you like carving a corner (e.g. when snowboarding, or skiing)? Do you like mountain biking? Or do you like watching scenery go by?
Do you have your M2 yet? What distance are you comfortable riding right now? What roads have you been on? What area of Etobicoke are you in?

I like taking corners, that is something you cannot get in a car. The most enjoyable thing for sure.
I like both mountain biking and watching scenery :)
I do have the M2
Regarding distance, tough to say. The bike isn't the most comfortable one, being an older sports bike. I also do not like sitting for extended periods, which adds to the problem.
I've been around Etobicoke, Mississauga, Oakville.
I live in south Etobicoke

There are some bikes that can stir the soul by sitting in the driveway.

There are some bikes that can be interesting just by taking a rip around the block.

It's just a matter of what works for you.

If you are bored and you feel it's like an appliance, I'd look at a change.

Saw a review of a KTM 390 Duke. Looks like a fun machine.

So can a Vespa.

Or a Burgman!

For me, it's the dated agricultural like HD that I ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you need a bike you're more comfortable sitting on.

Have you tried taking the back roads to the forks of the credit river?

There's also Twiss road and Cedar Springs Road from 15th sideroad

I like taking corners, that is something you cannot get in a car. The most enjoyable thing for sure.
The way I like to ride in the city is to take as many turns as possible. That means cutting between main arteries using residential streets in a slalom pattern, even if it mean going out of my way a bit before twisting my way back towards my destination. Lots of throttle, brake, turn.

You can plan ahead and try and fit in any slightly curvy road you can find along the way, or you can play it by ear as you go and see if you end up where you thought you were going, discovering new areas in the process. Impossible to get lost, even without GPS. There's always a main road nearby.

Last edited:
Maybe you need a bike you're more comfortable sitting on.

Have you tried taking the back roads to the forks of the credit river?

There's also Twiss road and Cedar Springs Road from 15th sideroad

Have not, will take a look at those. Thanks!

My bike was bought as a utility first. To offset some of the boring public transit (bus + go train) for about 8 months of the year (i have good gear!)
It was cheaper to get a brand new bike with little to no maintenance vs getting a used car and have to deal with all its unknown history of problems.

Also when i originally got it i only had a single parking spot. And i also cannot park for free downtown (work) with a car.

So between getting a 2nd vehicle and have it sit around most of the year
Why not get a 2nd vehicle that costs a fraction of the transit commute, entertains me, and makes me a more alert/efficient driver?

I'm saying all this because, even if i got bored (of my daily commute)... using it outside of its main utilitarian usage makes it "exciting"

Might be best to figure out what you want out of riding. If you like speed and tight turns maybe look at doing track days and getting some thrills that way? If your wanting a change in scenery and getting away from it all then might be best to look at a new bike that is better suited for getting away and travelling and allowing you to be comfortable on longer rides. Ultimately you need to do what is most enjoyable for you, and once you figure out what you really want out of biking then buy or do based on that.

Anyone had the same sentiment ?

I've ridden for a while - done a lot of riding, on a lot of different bikes, in lots of different places. But it never stops being fun, even going down the street to pick up groceries.

It's not a crime to not be into riding motorcycles. But you're probably not going to find people that feel the way you do on a motorcycle forum... :)

I wouldn't force it. Life is short. Find something else that excites you.

I've ridden for a while - done a lot of riding, on a lot of different bikes, in lots of different places
You don't say ;)

•••

I swear motorcycling is genetic ....my kid wanted nothing to do with cars.

I swear motorcycling is genetic ....my kid wanted nothing to do with cars.
Meh my dad rode but got in an accident and got scurred.

I got in an accident and kept riding. He didn't talk much about riding at all so it's not because of him. We'll see how my kiddos are with regards to it in a few years.

I was burning chicken strips since i was 8 years old on my bicycles

Thankfully I ride more cautiously than that

People get into riding for different reasons, imo if you dont like it, you probably havent been to the right places

While an off road course at Motopark would improve your road skills you can't just buy a dual sport and go motoring off the pavement.
S Ontario sucks for that tho you can ask in the other forum for dirt bikes.

Better is to take a couple of days in Pennsylvania - it's only 4 hours from you and comparative heaven.

That said - there are still some decent places to ride locally and all the way up to Georgian Bay on a day trip ....look at the top of the Touring forum for roads to ride to the north of you. Shane has done an excellent job.
Even along the escarpment, Twiss and others there is fun to be had, 4th line etc - get off the main routes and explore....

Yup what MD and Bigpoppa just said. Find better roads.
That said I miss my dirtbike....

You just may not be cutout to be a rider. Nothing wrong with that.

Like my neighbour up north who had a seadoo for 10 years and just loved it and used it whenever possible. I, on the other hand looked at the mindlessness of going back and forth along the shore and expected to be bored. So I took one out for a ride, and at the end of an hour I had my lifetime of satisfaction fulfilled. Totally cured now, I will never again have the desire to ride a seadoo.

And you could be that way with motorcycles. And if you really are bored, then you likely may not be as alert or defensive and so risk getting into an accident, and if that is the case, definitely get out while you are ahead.

If you're looking for ideas there go buy the book "150 Interesting and Unusual things to see in Ontario", and away you go.

Also by the same author "Backroads of Ontario". Some great twisties and scenic views in the book. And the focus is the route itself, and not necessarily specific destinations.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom