Noob getting bored, happened to anyone ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Noob getting bored, happened to anyone ?

zheka130

Guys

I've started riding at the end of last year, thus not long by any measure, nor do I ride frequently.
Yesterday, on a nice morning ride, with little traffic, heading west to Oakville, a thought came across my mind - this is not very interesting.
Straight roads, traffic lights, not much excitement.

Had a thought, to get into off-roading instead, maybe get a dual purpose bike.

Anyone had the same sentiment ?

Find better twisties, go on long adventures, take scenic country roads, avoid the 400s.

Or move from ontario

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

While an off road course at Motopark would improve your road skills you can't just buy a dual sport and go motoring off the pavement.
S Ontario sucks for that tho you can ask in the other forum for dirt bikes.

Better is to take a couple of days in Pennsylvania - it's only 4 hours from you and comparative heaven.

That said - there are still some decent places to ride locally and all the way up to Georgian Bay on a day trip ....look at the top of the Touring forum for roads to ride to the north of you. Shane has done an excellent job.
Even along the escarpment, Twiss and others there is fun to be had, 4th line etc - get off the main routes and explore....

Good ideas above. There are lots of options to keep things interesting (or not, if you aren't feeling the riding bug anymore, no harm in finding a new hobby).

Here is a quick list of ideas, not all will be right for all riders.
a)change roads (eg pennsylvania trip)
b)go offroad (either dualsport or pure dirtbike)
c)change bike (obviously the further the new bike is from your current bike the more it changes your experience)
d)go to the track (probably one of the better options in ontario if you want something you can do most summer weeks)
e)change your types of rides (eg try longer rides, try group rides)
f)try to ride with purpose (eg to a destination/roads that people say are entertaining)
g)ride without purpose (eg wander northwest through the countryside for a day)
h)try dirt track or supermoto courses
i)teach new riders (your not ready for this one yet)
j)try gymkhana (slowish speed in parking lots with cones, great for bike control, you will drop the bike while doing it)
k)learn about changes you can make to you bike that changes how it works (eg suspension tuning, valve clearance adjustments etc).

What constitutes a "normal" ride for you?

If you're never going more than 40-75KM from home, that's part of your problem.

As others have said, get OUT of the city. And yes, have a destination in mind. If you're looking for ideas there go buy the book "150 Interesting and Unusual things to see in Ontario", and away you go.

If your interested in trail riding, trail tours has a great introduction to off-road training course. Also the guys over on the off-road section are very friendly but it would help if you had some experience off-road. I was invited on a few rides with a group I met there but had to give up the day trips once my daughter was born..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Sometimes i just like to ride around aimlessly with no destination, its best to do this when you have free time, and you can roam/explore endlessly

The further away from GTA, the better

Take a course. If you know you're going to feel bored, don't take the bike.
It's dangerous to ride when your head isn't in the game.

One problem is that to get to interesting roads, you need to spend lots of time and ride on highways.

My motorcycle is not really a highway vehicle, as it isn't very comfortable. Neither is my helmet, as I found out

I think joining a group of riders would definitely make things more interesting

Depends how you look at it, yea the physical act of riding around etobicoke won't be very interesting. What I grew to love was long rides (not 400 series), exploring, seeing new towns and stuff. It puts you there in a way that a car doesn't, it makes it more memorable (at least for me)

Go get lost somewhere up north and only think of heading home a few hours before dark. Those are the best days I've had on the bike, no map or GPS

j)try gymkhana (slowish speed in parking lots with cones, great for bike control, you will drop the bike while doing it)

No guarantee that you'll drop your bike, however it is likely you will eventually.

It's really fun once you get the hang of it.

My motorcycle is not really a highway vehicle, as it isn't very comfortable. Neither is my helmet, as I found out

I think joining a group of riders would definitely make things more interesting

New riders and large group riding rarely go together, just for the record. Get more experience first.

They also won't make your bike or helmet any more comfortable either.

It sounds to me like perhaps you have chosen an incorrect first bike for either the type of riding you're looking to do, or your body - fixing that first will make things more enjoyable.

Depends how you look at it, yea the physical act of riding around etobicoke won't be very interesting. What I grew to love was long rides (not 400 series), exploring, seeing new towns and stuff. It puts you there in a way that a car doesn't, it makes it more memorable (at least for me)

Go get lost somewhere up north and only think of heading home a few hours before dark. Those are the best days I've had on the bike, no map or GPS

x100

Go with whatever appeals to you. You mention a dual sport so start with the trail tours suggestion and see how you like trail riding. You might love it or find that it is too much work and then it's on to the next thing. What others find enjoyable isn't always going to work for you.

Ontario dual sport club would be a good start for more info on off road riding in Ontario www.odsc.on.ca

Like you I'm not a fan of riding to the fun areas. One idea is to trailer your bike to where you want to ride if you end up keeping your current bike.

What is your bike??...if you are going to ride and pay insurance you might as well get something out of it....

There are track riders here that tool around on a Honda CBR125

and DON'T go group riding......if you want find an experienced rider to mentor you.

These are good routes for a new rider

http://www.wingnutty.ca

My former riding partner did them up for new riders....

Back
Top Bottom