Other people's property... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Other people's property...

I don't even walk into neighbors open garage unless they are there and they intend me to go in....like intentionally pointing out something they want me to look at.

It is good manners and shows respect. Good for you.

Do onto others as it's said. Even bugs me when someone is looking into my garage when the door is open....lol

One time I can see my bike afar & some kid was tugging at something at my bike. Imagine what happens when you're not around

I almost decked a coworker who thought I was joking when I said "that is my bike" and decided to hop on. Before he could even get his leg over I stopped him and asked WTF he was thinking?!? He apparently thought I was joking that it was my bike and didn't even seem to understand that you don't do that with someones bike. When asked if he would mind me sitting on his hood, roof, etc. "I wouldn't mind" was the response.

It comes down to lack of respect. Some people lack respect for their own property or just plan lack self respect so it's hard to extend that to a stranger.
I prefer the analogy of "how would you mind if I **** your wife/girlfriend". It's harsh, but gets the point across.

On the subject of ignorance:

Some time back someone posted about a chick sitting on his bike without permission while her GF took a picture. Getting off clumsily she caught her high heel and put a rip in the seat, did the girly "Oops" and left.

Why do people think they don't have to pay for their damages?

The "I didn't think it was going to break." statement is based on ignorance not knowledge.

If she hit his bike with a car there would be licence plates, hit-run laws etc.

What do you do? Can you hold the person? Demand ID? Do the police care?

A high end seat can cost a weeks pay for some.

A scratched side cover depreciates the value of a bike. Paint and vinyl are stupid expensive. You can't colour match from Canadian Tire.

Any legal rights????

With a locked car there is possibly a break and enter charge. If unlocked, an unlawful entry hit.

There is no entry with a bike so what gives?

Last edited:

Some time back someone posted about a chick sitting on his bike without permission while her GF took a picture. Getting off clumsily she caught her high heel and put a rip in the seat, did the girly "Oops" and left.

The "I didn't think it was going to break." statement is based on ignorance not knowledge.

A scratched side cover depreciates the value of a bike. Paint and vinyl are stupid expensive. You can't colour match from Canadian Tire.

Any legal rights????

With a locked car there is possibly a break and enter charge. If unlocked, an unlawful entry hit.

Only thing I could think of would be a charge of vandalism. You would have to call the cops asap and possibly detain them which can get into a whole other world of hell and I doubt it would be high on the priority list of any police service.

Any legal rights????

I'm sure there are charges that exist that would apply to this...
You could probably legally hold them there while you wait for the police to arrive... citizen's arrest.

You could probably legally hold them there while you wait for the police to arrive... citizen's arrest.
Lolz, remember something like that happened in Chinatown & they got charged with kidnapping? We're in Canada

That will get the police there much faster. They don't like it when people do their job. Unless you had video of the person causing the damage, I can't see the idiot being charged though, just you for assault or forcible confinement.

Only thing I could think of would be a charge of vandalism. You would have to call the cops asap and possibly detain them which can get into a whole other world of hell and I doubt it would be high on the priority list of any police service.

I'm guessing that if someone accidentally damages your property it isn't vandalism which is a deliberate act.

Deliberate retribution would be a criminal charge.

True accidents are civil offenses, not criminal and covered by the offender's insurance or wallet. So how does one go about getting reimbursement for damages if the offender refuses to identify him/herself?

Last edited:
A friend was into hotrods and sat back as a mom and her brat walked through the lineup of rods parked on the grass. The barefoot kid was all over the cars standing on the exhaust pipes and looking inside. My buddy said nothing as the kid stepped on the pipes of a car that had just come in off the highway. He limped away bawling with his mom doing the "Someone should have" bit.
sad thing is she didn't learn any lesson from that, she thinks it's someone else's fault her kid got burnt.

Ok... first of all lets get some perspective. We are enthusiasts here. We care. We've seen all the worst that can happen when randoms do randoms things to our cherished property.

But to the average joe, touching, rubbing against, hopping on someones car or bikes is nothing.

I say that coming from the perspective of someone who wanted to start detailing cars. Most people don't give a rats @ss what their car's paint looks like. Or if there are scratches on it. etc.
That's why automated touch washes still exist...otherwise they'd go out of business.

Novelty things get people excited, which is why they're curious as humans to see how it works, hence the touching, hopping on to see how it feels etc. I'm not saying i condone it (actually quite the contrary) but i can understand where they're coming from.

My car looks like a POS(well it is...) but that doesn't give someone else the rights to touch it or damage it.

I caught a co-worker sitting on my bike at work a few years ago, i would have no problem with him doing it if he asked my permission first. But he didn't, it is all about respect of other people ****. I asked him how he would feel if i went back inside the dealership and cut a key to his car and went and sat down in the drivers seat, would he just shrug it off... highly unlikely.

If it's not yours, don't touch it.

If my son ever did any of these things he will not have any fun for a very long time.... it starts at home, most parents are ******** so their kids are ******** inconsiderate little pricks and on and on, it starts at home.

People should be aware of things that they might not realize...

When you let your kids scream in a restaurant, movie, public space
When your kid does something wrong and you are to lazy "tired" to deal with it by explaining or punishing
When your kid gets away with being disrespectful

These things plat the seed that will make them that child that will abuse others properties, the parent that allows their kids to do the same.

I see it everywhere I go.

People are too attached to their stuff, and then disrespectful of others.

Many will park their bikes in non parking spots for their own lazy assed convenience, forcing many others to walk around the piece of ****, and then getting all uppity if someone touches said ****. **** off!

It's not just bikes either.

One day I had a confrontation with a parent in a grocery store about their constantly screaming kid. The best part of it was after it was done another shopper approached me and said I had you back if it escalated

People should be aware of things that they might not realize...

When our kids were little and they pitched a fit in a public place (ESPECIALLY a restaurant) the first thing I did was get up and haul their butts outside to the parking lot. And we stood there until it was over. In the beginning sometimes the hissyfit would last 10-15 minutes, but they soon learned that it was kinda boring and there was nobody that reacted or cared about their fit, so they'd turn it off in a minute or less. Soon they learned it was better to just behave in public places instead (after a warning that they would soon be headed outside) and they stopped pitching fits in public places to begin with.

Anyhow, it's off topic, but timely - just Thursday I dealt with this in Cobourg - two teens with young children (not theirs, I hoped) eating lunch in Subway. The kids were shrieking (those ear piercing ones drive me INSANE) and yelling and generally just being miscreants, and the guardians/babysitters/whatever were just continuing on like nothing was happening - giggling, chatting, and surfing on their phones.

Beat your kids!

Back
Top Bottom