Mosport | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mosport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Passing on the outside of 8 (in the corner, after the turn in) is one thing.

Going to the outside approaching 8 is risky. It's natural to move from track right to track left coming up to the Canadian Tire bridge to set up for 8. Just be mindful of that when overtaking.

Passing on the outside of 8 (in the corner, after the turn in) is one thing.

Going to the outside approaching 8 is risky. It's natural to move from track right to track left coming up to the Canadian Tire bridge to set up for 8. Just be mindful of that when overtaking.

When I was battleing Mitch there last year he kept going to the outside at the bridge. I kept moving over more and more but apparently the white line is enough room to fit an R1 on. Kids got balls but he also knew what I was doing and I also knew what he was doing. Personally I won't line up a pass on the outside of 8 on the entrance, I try and play it safe at 295km/h, lots of room to go inside and run wide to 9 during a track day or practice.

Your absolutely right and I will admit I was lining it up on the outside before the turn. That's one thing. Wheather or not I had enough speed is another.

When I was battleing Mitch there last year he kept going to the outside at the bridge. I kept moving over more and more but apparently the white line is enough room to fit an R1 on. Kids got balls but he also knew what I was doing and I also knew what he was doing. Personally I won't line up a pass on the outside of 8 on the entrance, I try and play it safe at 295km/h, lots of room to go inside and run wide to 9 during a track day or practice.

I was close to the grass, maybe ill try the white line next time lol.

I was close to the grass, maybe ill try the white line next time lol.

Well, all I know (via a mutual person we know personally) is that this isn't the first time you've collected somebody else by attempting to make questionable pass.
Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour. It's a track day. Not a race.
Just like when I referee hockey - we all need to go to work tomorrow. Ridiculousness doesn't need to happen, regardless of emotion.

Well, all I know (via a mutual person we know personally) is that this isn't the first time you've collected somebody else by attempting to make questionable pass.
Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour. It's a track day. Not a race.
Just like when I referee hockey - we all need to go to work tomorrow. Ridiculousness doesn't need to happen, regardless of emotion.

Just hang on a minute there sunshine. If you are going to throw someone under the bus and play the character assassination game then PM .. yes PM works best !! You are spreading rumours without talking to the guy involved first! My advice .. STFU before gathering all the facts. Were you there ?? Did you witness it ?? NO ?? then do research rather then spread rumours.

When on the track its the responsibility of a slower rider (I said slower .. and not slow) to maintain their line. I'm sure a person of your vast knowledge and skill set has been told the importance of maintaining their line. That's a standard piece of most track days and riders meetings. Did the guy who got "collected" maintain his line ?? I don't know ... and I don't know because I was not there!! Were you there ??

In almost every track incident there is some responsibility to share around. My suspicion is that is what happened here. But again I don't know so I cant lay blame .. maybe you should be more careful before you start body slamming people on public forums.

In almost every track incident there is some responsibility to share around. My suspicion is that is what happened here. But again I don't know so I cant lay blame .. maybe you should be more careful before you start body slamming people on public forums.

Calling an extremely competent rider you took out a pylon on a public forum was the start. Passing is the responsibility of the passer. Period.
I'm beyond glad to see that nobody was permanently injured and will be OK in the future. I've made my comments, and now I'm out. Best wishes to everyone all around.

Calling an extremely competent rider you took out a pylon on a public forum was the start. Passing is the responsibility of the passer. Period.
I'm beyond glad to see that nobody was permanently injured and will be OK in the future. I've made my comments, and now I'm out. Best wishes to everyone all around.

Capable or not someone can get spooked and slow up more than necessary (no idea of this was the case, just making a point). Also, unless you're running sub 24's you're going to be a pylon to someone.

Actually they accepted each other's explanation of the event until you chimed in.

And then defense mechanisms kicked in.

Why you surprised? Especially given your claim / comments on a public forum.

I really didn't want this to happen and I feel like I shouldn't have to defend myself. It was an incontinent between myself and another rider. And if you weren't there then you don't need to say anything.

I'm not calling anyone a pylon, I said at that moment that's what it was. If it was Jordan Szoke I would say the same thing. You have to remember this, when your coming up behind someone at high speed you don't necessarily know who they are and then change your riding style based on that. I saw a white bike and that's it, no clue who it was and I believe I don't know this person or their credentials. I haven't seen this rider at any CSBK or RACE event and it doesn't matter.

This was a special track day by Pro 6. No beginner group. We were in a CSBK racer only group. In my opinion this group was more for CSBK practice rather than a track day. I was out there to put in laps and practice for the weekend. Its usually rare for me to get time in like this. I normally would have Friday to get two sessions in to learn a new track then qualify.

About the pace, I'm not calling anyone slow. I during those sessions I was doing 1:27-1:28 lap times and I was still getting passed like I was standing still by Bohdi and Samuel T. I didnt go up to them in the pit and ask them to slow down because it was a track day. We were all doing the same thing.

I know of a lot of similar incidents that have happened at this part of the track and I believe it happened twice on Sunday.

This was also not a questionable pass around the outside. It happened in the braking zone right after the bridge, we were both still straight up and down. I know this because I have it on video. I'm not going to post it because I don't want any problems.

I'm glad we were both able to walk away from this, it could of been much worse. My leg was caught in between his tail and back wheel when he went down and its possible I could of lost my leg or had very serious damage. From the twisting motion I broke my tibia and have burns on my calf from the rear tire.

That's all I have to say.

I believe it is time to draw this thread to a close.

Having been in this situation ... While it is the responsibility of the person passing to do so safely, it is also the responsibility of everyone - EVERYone - to ride in a manner that is reasonably predictable to others coming up from behind.

On a "normal" track - Mosport main straight isn't normal - the best thing to do when exiting any corner is to aim STRAIGHT for the turn-in point of the next corner. If that corner is in the same direction this will usually mean going STRAIGHT down either the left or right edge of that straightaway. If you anticipate overtaking another rider then do so in a manner that someone behind can expect - don't swing all the way to the other side of the track, a somewhat close but predictable pass can be better because it still leaves room for someone behind going even faster to pass YOU. If the next corner is the other direction (a right following a left, etc) then go STRAIGHT diagonally across that straightaway to your turn in point.

Mosport isn't normal because the back straightaway isn't straight. But, same idea. What you DON'T want to do, is surprise someone coming up from behind. Up until a little before the bridge, everyone is accelerating (or trying to) and is in view of riders coming up from behind. A little before the bridge ... wherever you are left-to-right on the track, is where you should be entering corner 8. Moving from mid-track to the left edge after that bridge can mean a very high risk to someone who was coming up behind and planning to overtake on the room they saw you leave them. So, commit to where you want to be on the track (left-to-right) well before you get to that bridge and STAY there until you turn in for the corner (at which point - ideally - everyone is going more or less the same speed for the corner).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom