Luggage to Exhaust clearance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Luggage to Exhaust clearance

slowbird

My new side luggage rack ever so slightly clears my highmount pipe.

For the inevitable moments when it touches and rubs, I think I should put something on the rack to soften the contact.

Any better suggestions than duct tape/Electrical tape?

I'm not worried about heat. Can doesn't get hot enough. I'm more worried about vibration and rubbing.

Is there room to move the exhaust inwards by bending the exhaust bracket a bit in a vise?

Or shim the rack mounting hardware with a couple washers.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Is there room to move the exhaust inwards by bending the exhaust bracket a bit in a vise?

Sorry. Should have mentioned. I tried already. Moved it a bit but can't seem to get it to go in any further.

Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. - you can buy foam tubes in various diameters and lengths - they are split down one side, so you can fit them over the pipe. Use a few zip ties to hold in place. You could also get rad hose from any auto supply place - split it yourself and use zip ties. The rad hose is more compact, probably more durable and will handle moderate heat.

lol. See Picture #2. Click to enlarge.
Ah, I see. Pretty good stack of washers so far. Is the bolt too short to add any more?
Longer bolt, more washers. Tape over the washer stack with electrical tape.

Black hockey tape maybe? I probably wouldn't worry about it too much.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

You can probably also persuade the luggage rack to move out a bit with a big lever like a 2x4.

Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. - you can buy foam tubes in various diameters and lengths - they are split down one side, so you can fit them over the pipe. Use a few zip ties to hold in place. You could also get rad hose from any auto supply place - split it yourself and use zip ties. The rad hose is more compact, probably more durable and will handle moderate heat.

Yes! This is what I was looking for. I used something similar and I think the foam pipe insulation is just what the doctor ordered. I totally forgot about that stuff.

I'll try and get the rack and exhaust moved as much as it will go and then foam up that one part of the rack.

Much obliged!

Ah, I see. Pretty good stack of washers so far. Is the bolt too short to add any more?

I actually used a much longer bolt. Yeah quite a few washers. More on the side with the exhaust then the otherside.

be aware that anything contacting the exhaust that moves, will create a wear spot. Doesn't matter how soft, eventually it will get dirt etc. caught between it and the exhaust. Can you rigid mount something to keep the gap? Or some sort of figure 8 setup. Like a hose clamp around the exhaust(with a buffer material on the inside to protect the exhaust) hard attached to another clamp on the bracket.

Last edited:
be aware that anything contacting the exhaust that moves, will create a wear spot. Doesn't matter how soft, eventually it will get dirt etc. caught between it and the exhaust.

Yeah I'm thinking the same, I appreciate the comment to further encourage me to find a better solution.

My number one priority will be to try and adjust everything so nothing touches, and then add something to the frame of the Givi rack just incase something jolts/moves make contact.

The "hanger-mount" or whatever it is called is quite rigid, and I can't see it bending easily without snapping. Usually they're soft aluminum but this piece looks/feels billet.
(it is to the left/rear of the passenger peg. No Side racks installed yet in this pic)

click to enlarge

I added a large collared washer to the bolt for the muffler clamp. It helped squeeze the muffler and shift it more inwards. Maybe if I added some material to the inside of the clamp (something that can stand the heat and isn't too abrasive) it may push the can further inwards.

The only way I see this working out for you is to get a new slip on, the OVAL one.......:D

It just might give you the clearance you are looking for.....

005-940407m-b-two-brothers-black-series-vale-m2-flange-on-exhaust.jpg

The only way I see this working out for you is to get a new slip on, the OVAL one.......:D

It just might give you the clearance you are looking for.....

LOL! :lmao:Yeah, no thanks. :cool:

You could also try moving that can mount to the inside of the hanger if you still have enough rear tire /swing arm clearance.

Another option is to just space the whole right side fame out 1cm or what ever you need, and then get a longer cross bar made or that one extended .

IF you want to show up in Guelph and bring beer , I'm sure we can take care of it .

I built my givi mounts from scratch out of 1/2 stainless tubing.

Herb

Nice, you look like my twin!

If you cant get it spaced off enough to not worry , google muffler slider .. there are many versions, basically a heat resistant hose that wraps around yr can.

https://moto-hose.myshopify.com/products/supermoto-road-race-products

Oh neat. Never seen that before. Thanks!

You could also try moving that can mount to the inside of the hanger if you still have enough rear tire /swing arm clearance.

Damn! I don't know why I didn't think of that. Much thanks. I'll give that a shot.

Another option is to just space the whole right side fame out 1cm or what ever you need, and then get a longer cross bar made or that one extended .

IF you want to show up in Guelph and bring beer , I'm sure we can take care of it .

I built my givi mounts from scratch out of 1/2 stainless tubing.

Herb

Nice. Thanks! I might take you up on that

What's wrong with oval????

There isn't anything specifically wrong with an "oval" can in general. But there is no real reason for me to spend the $$ on an oval can.

My current round Twobros Can is already quite small in diameter. I'd be surprised if the Oval was a significant difference.

I discussed the measurements on a VFR forum with someone that has the same bike and luggage racks as me. Their Oval can was about 1-2cm in diameter wider than mine.

Back
Top Bottom