Little adv bikes(versys 300) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Little adv bikes(versys 300)

He does good reviews. I looked into the Versys 300 and found it gets a thirsty 50mpg. I'm thinking they get all that horsepower from a huge cam, which makes it a dog for low end torque. It's not cheap either. So, fixing my CM250 I am.

Thanks for sharing, great review/video.
I definitely agree, nothing is more fun than a dual sport or sm. Backroads, trails or around town, they're an absolute riot.
That's what I like about my versys, it feels like a bigger heavier sm.
Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Didn't he say it had the same power to weight ratio?

Good reviews. Well done and seems to have an well thought out conclusions....of the few I watched.

Great review. Having spent a lot of time ADV touring with a CRF250L, I'd give a lot more points for having the 17L fuel capacity of the Kawi over the 7L of the Honda. 400kms of range is a godsend when you're out in the middle of nowhere. Too often, we'd be worried about where the next fuel stop was when the reserve light lit up 175 kms into the last tank of gas.

Yeah yeah, jerry can blah blah aftermarket Acerbis tank blah blah...

Or 400 kms tank range stock. Hard to argue.

I wonder how the versys 300 compares with the klr 650? They have similar power.
Personally I'd choose the klr any day. Better off road ability, better low end and mid range, better protection. No contest for me.

twin is not going to cut it.
BWM 300 single a better choice.

The KLR is piggy and really not an off road machine but has more strengths than the Versys. Range is important.

7.1" ground clearance on the Versys....that is a joke.
Still might be a nice upright city bike.

1-versys-x-300_0.jpg

Cycle World thinks so

http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-kawasaki-versys-x-300-might-be-best-entry-level-bike-season

Last edited:
Kawasaki is probably trying to wean people off the KLR. It hasn't been sold in Europe for years because the carbureted engine wouldn't even pass the last generation of emission standards, nevermind Euro 4 that just took effect, and now the lack of ABS is another reason it can't be sold in Europe. The Versys 300 is a modern design that meets worldwide standards.

People in North America keep buying the KLR, and the tooling's paid for ...

And everywhere else cheap and reliable is valued.

Now this is an interesting alternative

2002-Honda-NX650-Dominator2.jpg

A new patent filed by Honda may reveal the company is ready to bring back the discontinued NX650 Dominator from the grave. UK-based MoreBikes Magazine broke the news after uncovering a drawing filed with the US patent department by Honda.

The NX650 (or Dominator as it’s known outside of the US) debuted in 1988 and only lasted two years in the US. This was a time before Americans had an appreciation for adventure bikes and the NX650 never took off. However, the Dominator was a great success in world markets where it continued production until 2001.

The old NX650 was powered by an air-cooled 644cc single that produced 44 horsepower. An XR650L-based chassis and 21″/17″ wheel combination gave it good off-road agility, while a small windscreen, luggage rack and 4.3 gallon (16 liter) tank made long-distance travel an option.

While the patent drawing may be purposely disguised, it does show some similarities to the original NX650 Dominator in the styling and it also has the proportions of a middle-weight adventure bike.
http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/2017-honda-nx650-dominator/

Last edited:
Id also wager the versys 300 is better on the highway than either the KLR or the crf250L

With street tires the KLR650 is fine on the highway ...just noisy on K60s....these bikes are ridden all over the world and around the world..the brakes suck but they are bullet proof and have a huge tank and range.
I've done -4-500k rides including 200 of that on a route I'd not take the Versys ( not enough clearance )

The 300 Versys is an excellent entry bike for city and light highway and some light off pavement.
It's no KLR..period.

KLR650 - 21" front wheel, loads of grunt from the 650 single - it will tractor smoothly up anything, big tank, tons of farkles including 3rd party seats ( I use a Sargent ) parts available anywhere in the world and they keep going and going. Easy to fix in the field but they rarely break down.
370 lb dry 6 .1 gal tank and very good value

Completely different class of bike from a 300 twin with a small front wheel.

Downsides of the KLR, high seat ( 35" ) sucky brakes, horrid headlight

https://rideapart.com/articles/good-bad-ugly-building-klr650-adventure-bike

With the crazy number of adventure touring bikes on the market today, it is easy to overlook one of the originals because it often rides under the radar. The Kawasaki KLR650 has been around forever and it is still one of the best bang-for-the-buck adventure bikes you can buy.

I’ve always been a fan of riding off road and about 10 years ago I started to really enjoy dual-sport and ADV riding. There’s just something about riding a big-*** bike on the nastiest trails you can squeeze them through that intrigues me. I know that the Suzuki DR-Z series are arguably better suited to dual sport, and the KTM Adventure series of bikes are better for long-distance exploration trips on Jeep roads, but the big, ugly KLR 650 is capable of both. Which is why I own one.

yup

http://www.cycleworld.com/2016-kawasaki-klr650-adventure-touring-baja-road-trip-and-killer-tacos

Last edited:
Id also wager the versys 300 is better on the highway than either the KLR or the crf250L

This is what I think as well. Can it mount standard sized DOT knobbies?

If it would do loose gravel and wet clay roads it would be a winner!

This is what I think as well. Can it mount standard sized DOT knobbies?

If it would do loose gravel and wet clay roads it would be a winner!
Stock rear is 130 80 17, readily available in dot knobbies. Front is 100 90 19 not so much unless you want to run a rear knobby on the front. However, plenty of adv options for the front including tkc80.

Doesn't matter what the boots are ...the torque is not there.
Okay for gravel and forest roads... a KLR it ain't

Looks like a great option for a lot of riders (myself included). Hell I'd be a liar if I didn't think of trading in my CB500F for it and keeping it strictly dirt.

now all i need is time, and money, to strap on some gear and go on an actual adventure

Back
Top Bottom