GPS Lap Timers | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

GPS Lap Timers

Wait a minute, how does it figure out brake? Do modern ECU's keep track of brake pressure is brake just guessed from accelerometer data?

Wait a minute, how does it figure out brake? Do modern ECU's keep track of brake pressure is brake just guessed from accelerometer data?

It's not guessed, it records actual brake pressure. The unit of measurement is "psi". On the R1 you can see brake pressure directly on the digital dash of the bike. The AiM SoLo DL plugs right into the ECU and records those readings. There's actually a separate reading for front and rear brakes which at the least is used for the ABS but I'm certain is used in conjunction with the 6 axis IMU, wheel spin, speed, etc. to accurately apply the TC, SC, etc.

AJ

It's not guessed, it records actual brake pressure. The unit of measurement is "psi". On the R1 you can see brake pressure directly on the digital dash of the bike. The AiM SoLo DL plugs right into the ECU and records those readings. There's actually a separate reading for front and rear brakes which at the least is used for the ABS but I'm certain is used in conjunction with the 6 axis IMU, wheel spin, speed, etc. to accurately apply the TC, SC, etc.

AJ

That's really cool. Thx.

At $800 I hope so lol. Mine is a $30 app.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

He's on a newish R1 with colour coordinated warmers. Who am I to judge how he spends his money? I was more interested that the bike actually knew brake pressures then I was that the hardware was able to dig them out.

The new r1s show weight distribution as well. I want to spend on my honing my skill and only need two wheels, a throttle and track time to do it. $800 is two lap days with fuel and food

The regular Solo is much cheaper and $800 for a laptimer/data logger isn't really that expensive. The $30 app is not a data logger. I also paid more than $800 for my SoloDL :(

Very Cool.

What about for us luddites that are riding old 2 stroke race bikes. Is a ECU necessary for it to work or does it have accelerometers, etc that can acquire some of the data?

Very Cool.

What about for us luddites that are riding old 2 stroke race bikes. Is a ECU necessary for it to work or does it have accelerometers, etc that can acquire some of the data?

The ability to plug in an ECU for additional data is just an option and not necessary to use the lap timer or to get good data. From what I can see from the data acquisition software, you at least get the following data and possibly more if you really dig through the software. If you know the right calculations, you can even generate additional data using the values returned by these data channels...

GPS Speed
GPS Nsat
GPS LatAcc
GPS LonAcc
GPS Slope
GPS Altitude
GPS PosAccuracy

Don't ask me to define these :p If you go to the AiM site, you can pretty much look at any documentation for all of their products. For whatever reason, I've found that AiM hasn't been as popular in the motorcycle industry (at least here in Canada) as XT lap timers and other brands but they appear to be really big with autos and GoKarts and quite big across the pond in Europe. So they seem to be really good with the data acquisition cause it's another world what data you can pull from car ECUs and such. IMHO, I feel the AiM is a much better quality made product, really easy to use, really accurate and has solid software/hardware support. Just my 2cents for anyone thinking of using this product and NO, have ZERO stake in this company/product. It's just my personal choice in lap timer :D

AJ

*LOL* You're telling me brotha! A lot's changed in this industry since I got out of the game 6yrs ago but what hasn't changed there's NO LIMIT to the amount of money that can be spent on this hobby/sport/addiction :shock: You show me a budget and pretty much anyone here can show you how to bust it :p

All joking aside, I know there are a few apps out there that can do cool stuff with GPS lap timing and data like the one you mention, Race Chrono and another I've heard good things about is Harry's Lap Timer app BUUUT like with any mobile based app, you are limited to the accuracy and hardware of the phone ur using. That's not to say that you can't get accurate data with mobile apps but there is a different in the GPS receivers used in mobile phones and dedicated GPS lap timers. Bottom line, I'm not here to split hairs about works best or what "does what I need". What I know is that it's awesome that there is a solution for everyone and any budget. I personally would rather have a dedicated unit that has the best accuracy, reliability with data and will likely do more than I could ever want/need it to do than settle for something that will probably leave me longing for more. Kinda like my bike...my abilities prob wouldn't even "max" out a much lesser bike but it sure is awesome to me that I have a bike that my skill level will likely never find the limit of but it's what I wanted AND fortunately I had the budget for it and my snazzy lap timer :cool::headbang:

AJ

I just bought a Garmin Glo for an upcoming event this weekend. Just an FYI, but it appears that this thing will only charge when it is on, and if it isn't near a window and can't find satellites it'll take much longer to charge than normal: https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/JtCVFH87yT46D6pu3LhkvA

12 hour battery life is more than enough for what I need (rental bike, so no hardwired power), but you might get caught out with a dead battery if you think the thing is charging overnight while it is off.

Very Cool.

luddites? ..simple, i get a friend to sit at the start finish with my old analog stop watch i've had since high school...lol
even without timing, most riders will know when they had a good lap... just by feel.

Can anyone else remember how to use a slide rule? A little on the old side even for me; for the "young ins" thats what we used before calculators....lmao old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom