GPS Lap Timers | GTAMotorcycle.com

GPS Lap Timers

Zero

Just finished doing 3 days up at Bogie and looking to get a better idea of my lap times. Running mid to lower end of yellow group.
Would like to know what people would recommend for a reliable GPS lap timer. I don't need telemetry. Just looking for lap times and intermediate points.

Just starting to look around, and there doesn't seem to be much info out there. I would appreciate anyone's feedback and recommendations.

Thanks,

I used XGPS160 mounted on the bike paired with an android or iPhone (will need to keep the phone on you or on the bike (under the seat) and I used the app called TrackAddict

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaceChrono is free. Works great with a GPS booster and an old phone. It tells you all of your speeds so you can see you breaking and acceleration points. It's almost exactly the same times as my transponder at Shannonville.

Downside, you'll need to charge it if your using it for 3 days in a row. I find the accuracy drops off when the battery is getting low. You can wire a USB cable to the bike and keep it charged that way though.

Try not to use the built in phone gps, it won't be that accurate, phones only get 1hz. external Bluetooth gos receivers can get 10hz (10 samples per second)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always used AiM and have never been disappointed :) I currently use the AiM SoLo DL cause I'm a data freak and love that it plugs right into my ECU to get bike data (here an example of a video where I overlayed some data on GoPro video https://youtu.be/rmpAroXMPYg) but if you don't want/need the extra data, you could go with just the AiM SoLo. Either way, I think you'll love it :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies so far.....
For those that own the AIM Solo, where did you purchase it? Can you set intermediate points on the track? or is it just start/finish line?
Also how are you guys mounting these?" Currently own a 2012 R6 with GPR steering damper, so my front triple is pretty crowded.

Again thanks in advance for the feedback.

For those that own the AIM Solo, where did you purchase it? Can you set intermediate points on the track? or is it just start/finish line?
Also how are you guys mounting these?" Currently own a 2012 R6 with GPR steering damper, so my front triple is pretty crowded.

Try contacting pro 6?

You can do split lap times.

I made a mount for mine and bolted it to the top triple.
DDC88C8F-F337-44E4-8C6E-A5820FC9F7C4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

I got mine from Superbike Unlimited.

U can do as many splits as u want because it's all done through the software. Default is all corners r a new split but u can specify as many or as little as u want and at any points on the track that u want.

As for mounting, ur best and easiest option would be to mount a RAM mount to the back of the Aim SoLo magnetic mount and then use any of their mounting options, there all kinds of options (ie. Triple mounts, clip on mounts, etc.) If u want I can post a pic of what I'm talking about.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Thanks to those that recommended the AIM Solo lap timer. I purchased this unit and was able to use it at Calabogie this past weekend on Saturday.
It was very accurate and showed my lap times dropping throughout the day as it got warmer and I became more confident with the throttle. I now know my general lap times.
Software that comes with this unit is fairly intuitive and there are online tutorials as well.
The great thing about the software is that you can analyse each lap and compare laps to see where you were faster or can go faster.
What this has shown me is that I need to be more consistent. Some laps I'm faster in certain areas. If I put all my best sectors together I have the potential to shave 11 secs off my lap times which is pretty huge.

I realize part of this was due to traffic, but I can only imagine what might be possible if I had a couple of clear laps.

Oh well there is always next year!!

If I put all my best sectors together I have the potential to shave 11 secs off my lap times which is pretty huge.

Does the software tell you this or did you manually pick out the best times for each section?

I use Race Chrono pro. Plus you can overlay it on a video after

[video=youtube_share;b3CSfQn_L1I]https://youtu.be/b3CSfQn_L1I[/video]

Last edited:
I use Race Chrono pro. Plus you can overlay it on a video after

I have always used AiM and have never been disappointed :) I currently use the AiM SoLo DL cause I'm a data freak and love that it plugs right into my ECU to get bike data (here an example of a video where I overlayed some data on GoPro video https://youtu.be/rmpAroXMPYg) but if you don't want/need the extra data, you could go with just the AiM SoLo. Either way, I think you'll love it :thumbup:

I like the overlays (especially the throttle position one). The part of the video I watched, you never went over half throttle (I know, cold tires and getting your sea legs back, not judging just found it interesting).

Can you calibrate the g-meter on race chrono (eg the outer circle is the traction limit for the bike with those tires on that track and cannot be exceeded)? Then you could see how close you were to the limit at each point (I realize in this case, you probably wouldn't have a circle, but it would take a lot of data to figure out the actual limit of traction in multiple directions).

The g meter can be changed to lean angle or other options, even blue tooth your heart rate. You pick what you want on your overlay. Plus it will put all your best laps together and give you your optimal time from all your best sections. My throttle never went pass half because I modded it with pvc to get close to 1/4 throttle. All the data is recorded. What you see on my overlay is just what I picked. Lots of data to play with if thats your thing. You can show lateral as digital or as analog like I used. So many options and you can pick what you want

Last edited:
Does the software tell you this or did you manually pick out the best times for each section?

The software tells me this.
You can compare single laps or you can show all laps throughout the day including sector times.
The software in this case took my best sectors from each lap throughout the day and compiled a predictive lap time.

no lol. Just keep uping my game. Holding my own in yellow now

I like the overlays (especially the throttle position one). The part of the video I watched, you never went over half throttle (I know, cold tires and getting your sea legs back, not judging just found it interesting).

Hey man, no worries about your comments, you speak the truth! *LOL* Baby steps getting back in the swing and I've left all track days in one piece so far *knock on wood* :D I've stepped up my onboard video production game (and my on track riding game :p). Lmk what you think of these vids (MAKE SURE you move the 360 video around to see all angles):

[video=youtube_share;YyAJn1q7yss]https://youtu.be/YyAJn1q7yss[/video]

I've added brake gauge and lean angle...and at TMP I started adding a rear view camera. I'm playing around with layouts, ie. data/gauge size, placement, etc. Trying to make everything visible but no clutter up the video. Nice thing about the 360 video is that you can look all the way around or just shift the viewing angle some. If you have VR glasses, YOU HAVE TO WATCH THESE THROUGH THEM!!! It's siiic!

PS. Feel free to like the YouTube channel if you like the vids :) Next stop will be Bogie Sep 16 & 17. I'm hoping to put everything I've worked on with the vids together and publish some epic vids :D

AJ

EDIT: So I can only post one vid per post, so I'll post the other two below in separate posts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom