Teikei 22 jetting | GTAMotorcycle.com

Teikei 22 jetting

Mike-the-Bike

Does anyone know of a source for Teikei jets.

i just restored a 81 GPZ 550 with Teikei 22 carbs and a NOS Wolf 4:1 and pods and it's running a bit weak.

i really don't want to pay $200 for a Dynojet kit If I can avoid it

TIA

You wont be able to get them from Kawasaki.

They only used these carbs on the KZ400-4, KZ500, KZ550 and the first year of the GPZ550 and they only supply 2 main jet sizes. 94 for the GPZ and 92 for everything else. That's basically all you can order

+1 on the Dynojet. Its a lot of money for questionable quality. I've had a number of well known tuners tell me that they don't flow consistently between jets with the same number.

Jets R Us are the only company I know that make TK22 jets. http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_street/kawasaki_550_KZ550_1980-1983.htm. They are about $10-12 CDN + shipping. They also have pilots. I have personally never used them.

The other option is to get a standard set of TK main jets and drill them yourself. its quite easy. You can get a mini drill bit kit from someone like Snapon. A #60 drill bit will drill it out to 101, #59 is 104, #58 is 106 and #57 is 109, etc. You wont be able to do it with a normal drill from Home Depot or Lowes as the chuck had to tighten down to 0 diameter. Snapon has a nice little drill that can do this. I liked to clamp the drill in a soft jawed vice and push the jet onto it by hand. You are not drilling it, just shaving a tiny amount of material off the sides so the original orifice acts a a really nice pilot hole. You can also re-drill your pilots. Sizes are quite easy to calculate as its just expressed in hundredths of a mm i.e. a number 78 drill bit is around .37mm and thus will give you a 37 jet.

I used to drill my own when I raced a GPZ but i found out quite by accident that Keihin "Small Head Round" main jets have exactly the same threads as the TK's, the overall length is identical and the head of the jets are the same depth into the bowl. Importantly the numbering convention is exactly the same and is expressed in hundreds of mm, therefore a 100 Keihin is really equivalent to a 100 TK jet. The jet orifice on the Keihin is slightly longer so it may and/or may not run very slightly weaker, but its going to be less than a jet size. If you can get to Markham go Winners Circle on Steelcase. They normally have them in stock. Ask for Jim and make sure you ask for "Small Head Round"

I raced for years using these TK's and found them to be a lot easier to set up and performed better than their TK 26 and 27 successors. The successors are CV and once you removed the Airbox they are a PITA to tune.

My only compliant is that they have small float bowls and the vacuum pet cock had a hard time keeping up at somewhere like Mosport, but this is easily sorted by either installing a Yamaha TZ high flow tap that is a bolt on to the Kawasaki tank, or fitting a vacuum operated fuel pump from something like a first gen SV650.

The best solution is really a set of Keihen CR 26's. The problem is the spacing as that 500/550/600 Kawasaki head from the 80's was quite unique. I had a friend in Pickering that used to re-space CR carbs on the rails, but he's retired and doesn't have access to the machines any more, although I'm sure if you look around there must be someone in the US that does it as it seems all the 550 Kawasaki's in AHRMA run them.

With your set up I would probably start with the 100 from Jets R Us or the 102 from Keihin. That will get you close and you can go up or down from there.

Last edited:
"My only compliant is that they have small float bowls and the vacuum pet cock had a hard time keeping up at somewhere like Mosport, but this is easily sorted by either installing a Yamaha TZ high flow tap that is a bolt on to the Kawasaki tank, or fitting a vacuum operated fuel pump from something like a first gen SV650.'

If the screws that hold the fuel tap on are 22mm centre-to-centre use the fuel tap off the Yamaha 660 Raptor ATV. Winner's Circle has them too I believe.

Thanks All...

Was able to get the jets at winners circle. Started off with the 105's and ended up with 102's. The needle ended up second clip from the bottom.

We have tiny drills in work so the pilot was drilled to .37mm.

Pulls smoothly from just having the throttle cracked open to WOT. Will scan and post the dyno printout

Last edited:
Glad it worked out for you.

Wolf were a really good pipe, made in Guelph, Ontario. Hand bent headers that have really soft bends and the collector and mid pipe were huge. They were a really good high RPM pipe, exactly what you want for that bike. You lucked out finding one.

I always loved the twin shock GPz line. If I could find a 750 in good condition I would buy it and put a 810 kit on it. My friend has an almost new Bassini that would look amazing on it

Just wanted to give a quick update.

I had Sunday and Monday off so I did the Lake Ontario trip. Trenton to Cornwall, Syracuse, Finger Lakes, Fort Erie. Stayed over in Niagara Falls Sunday night.

Bike ran like a dream. I popped the plugs out last night and they were a lovely light Tan colour. Keihin jets, who knew. The total cost to re-jet was $30 :)

Thanks for the help. It saved me so much aggravation and I really, really appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom