What are your ***-comfort secrets? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are your ***-comfort secrets?

Lots of quick breaks and Advil

Funny I was going to mention 2 x 650 mg Acetaminophen morning and evening for a relatively pain free ride.

I am bad for taking breaks...450 km range ....I tend to keep riding tho if it's photogenic area I will take the time.

Funny I was going to mention 2 x 650 mg Acetaminophen morning and evening for a relatively pain free ride.

I'm all good on the medication front - because of my neck issues (C1/C2 spinal fusion) I have quite a few anti inflammatories that help with keeping the edge off. And I can and sometimes do take Acetaminiphen on top of them as they complement each other well.

Anyhow, I picked up an AirHawk off klr_guy this evening - thanks, and nice meeting ya. It fit nicely :)

I think I'll find a bead seat somewhere as well this week and cut that down to fit...and then go for it with both along for the trip and see what one works better in the end.

I'm all good on the medication front - because of my neck issues (C1/C2 spinal fusion) I have quite a few anti inflammatories that help with keeping the edge off. And I can and sometimes do take Acetaminiphen on top of them as they complement each other well.

Anyhow, I picked up an AirHawk off klr_guy this evening - thanks, and nice meeting ya. It fit nicely :)

I think I'll find a bead seat somewhere as well this week and cut that down to fit...and then go for it with both along for the trip and see what one works better in the end.

I used both together once. Ride a little high on the seat but it was oddly very comfortable.

Yeah, anything that raises the seat height is also going to decrease the bend in the knees, which does feel more comfortable.
I appreciated that as well but that's riding sportier rearsets. For feet-forward pegs/boards I dunno if it'll make much difference.

I double them up as well at times...

Came home and low and behold I found a beadrider for sale as well on Kijiji, so I've snapped that up in addition to the AirHawk.

So some have tried the beadrider on top of the Airhawk - doubled up?

For feet-forward pegs/boards I dunno if it'll make much difference.

I know many riders swear by the feet-forward position for long distance comfort, but for me personally, riding like the letter C for hours on end is a quick and sure path to the chiropractor's table.

Having your shoulders, hips and ankles all lined up vertically is way more ergonomically neutral and gives you more options to change up your position and to distribute the body's weight between the seat and the footpegs.

:dontknow: But to each their own.

stand up wheelie is the only cure for long boring rides.

Well, I'm home. Just short of 4700KM in 4.5 days.

I must say that the ultimate saviour was the AirHawk, hands down. We covered 1200KM on the first day and it wasn't until around the 1100KM point that I even started to become conscious of any soreness at all, but it still wasn't really bad.

Second day was 800KM in total comfort.

Third day another 1100KM and the same thing - total comfort 99% of the day.

Fourth day was around 800KM, and again, perfect.

Ironically yesterday was our shortest day of the whole trip and I did start to get uncomfortable south of North Bay - not sure if I needed a bit more air in the AirHawk or something (it was only 8 degrees when we broke camp so it's possible the cold air had it deflated too much at the beginning of the day), or whether my *** was just starting to succumb to the miles (Or it could have simply been subconscious seeing as how we were in the final stretch) but I was shifting around and such quite a lot...bit still not terrible.

I never did end up using the bead rider, despite having brought it. Probably should have tried it, especially yesterday as we rode through a solid 2.5 hours of rain and I read that they were great for keeping your butt dry, but the hawk seemed to do good there and my rain gear is really solid. We rode through about 2 hours or torrential rain on day 2 as well headed into Thunder bay and even then I was 90% dry.

Anyhow, thanks again klr_guy for selling me the AirHawk, I'm now a convert, no question!

air hawk has actual seats now, at least for some BMW models. I am tempted to give this a try as I want to replace my stock seat. I have normally gone with Sargeant in the past and really like them, the price is not bad and might take a gamble in the spring

[h=3]Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 1.09.20 PM by B P, on Flickr[/h]
NEW FOR BMW—MORE BIKE MODELS TO COME
Every AIRHAWK seat pan is built on the patented IST (Independent Suspension Technology) from Danny Gray Custom Motorcycle Seats. This new, exclusive line gives riders the option of AIRHAWK’s scientifically proven and comfortable Air Cell Technology fully integrated with IST. These sleek, new designs provide the highest quality expected by discerning riders.
https://airhawk.net/product-category/seats/

Interesting. What I did like about the separate unit was the fact that I could move it around. I fractured my tailbone about 15 years ago and I occasionally still feel it to this day, so when it started to a bit sore after a few hundred KM (We rode tank-to-tank lots of times) I was able to scoot up a little and shift the Airhawk around under my butt to move the pressure points. Not sure you could do that with a fixed seat, no matter how comfortable it might be. Certainly more convenient though.

Holy crap, just checked out their website...they have pillows too?! Might buy one of those - because of my C1/C2 spinal fusion I have a heck of a time finding good pillows - I'm still using one now that's over a decade old because it's the only thing that continually gives me a decent nights sleep (I've tried about 20 over the last 10 years but they were all not as good as the old thing I have), but an Airhawk pillow sure is of interest now.

Last edited:
In my older age I'm realizing there's no better investment than in comfort. I'm on my third different camp pillow now trying to find the perfect one for my neck problems.

Interesting. What I did like about the separate unit was the fact that I could move it around. I fractured my tailbone about 15 years ago and I occasionally still feel it to this day, so when it started to a bit sore after a few hundred KM (We rode tank-to-tank lots of times) I was able to scoot up a little and shift the Airhawk around under my butt to move the pressure points. Not sure you could do that with a fixed seat, no matter how comfortable it might be. Certainly more convenient though.

Looks like you can adjust the air in these seats, so you could adjust the seat on the side. Looks like a button on the side of the seat. I know I would certainly not pay that kind of money for a seat if it was not adjustable.

Back
Top Bottom