Decatting your exhaust | GTAMotorcycle.com

Decatting your exhaust

Ghostrider619

Anyone knows where I can decat my exhaust headers and how much I am looking at ? I hate the box looking cat , even aftermarket exhaust sounds like it's a stock can just a lil louder. It's still whiny & not raspy sound that I like. Was looking at some headers but they are so expensive.

It doesn't help you with the look and I am not advocating this but I have heard of people putting ball bearings in the cat and shaking the crap out of it to bust up the matrix. Dump out the dust, reinstall the can and you look legal but are lighter, louder and more polluting.

EDIT: Check how others have faired with your bike when removing the cat. Without some form of revised fuel map (or autotune), your bike may actually perform worse than before. On second thought, this may require an aftermarket computer as the O2 sensors will both be sending back numbers the stock computer hates.

Last edited:
Anyone knows where I can decat my exhaust headers and how much I am looking at ? I hate the box looking cat , even aftermarket exhaust sounds like it's a stock can just a lil louder. It's still whiny & not raspy sound that I like. Was looking at some headers but they are so expensive.

Welcome the world of motorcycling - you gotta pay to play in this field, no such thing as cheap. Save up your pennies and go aftermarket either full exhaust or just slip-on. As mentioned above, if it's not done right you might actually be hurting the performance of the bike vs. making it better just for the sake of "sounding better" or worse. If you do have a catalytic converter, you might be best to go to an exhaust shop, have them weld out the cat and put in a straight pipe in it's place.

Welcome the world of motorcycling - you gotta pay to play in this field, no such thing as cheap. Save up your pennies and go aftermarket either full exhaust or just slip-on. As mentioned above, if it's not done right you might actually be hurting the performance of the bike vs. making it better just for the sake of "sounding better" or worse. If you do have a catalytic converter, you might be best to go to an exhaust shop, have them weld out the cat and put in a straight pipe in it's place.

Any idea how much it would cost ? For a Z1000, I will need a Y shaped pipe since it has dual exhaust.

Any idea how much it would cost ? For a Z1000, I will need a Y shaped pipe since it has dual exhaust.

Car exhausts are much easier to work with, you will need to find one that will work on bikes and if your exhaust is exposed maybe easier and cheaper.

How long until they start testing bikes the way they test cars?

Bikes make more pollution, don't they?

All they'd have to do to start, is to check for a functioning CAT.

^ That's why I've retained all of the emission control hardware. I doubt if the original catalyst on my ZX10R works any more (93,000 km and the engine burns a bit of oil) but it's there.

On a race bike it's a different matter, but even IF the non-catalyst exhaust gains a couple of horsepower, it won't help you get to the next Timmies any faster.

Another side effect; if your exhaust is high on the back of the bike (the under-tail ones are the worst) and you remove the catalyst, your clothes will stink after a ride.

Back
Top Bottom