Rocks and riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rocks and riding

jc100

I like to go for rides and have a theme. Sometimes it's picking up good roasted coffee from Equator coffee in Almonte then riding back to Kingston via Calabogie, or sometimes it's like Private Pilot's 150 things to see in Ontario rides.

I recently thought about riding out and perhaps perhaps panning for gold somewhere just for a laugh. I'm not expecting to find anything, it would be just for the experience and it would make me explore a bit more. So I started looking at what you need to do and how to go about doing it which led me onto a very detailed blog about all things geological in Ontario https://rockwatching.wordpress.com/

Some of you might find this to be a good read if you like old mines, geology and hiking/exploring. It's surprising what's out there to see. In the blog there are entries about old mines underneath the forks of the credit etc. If you do go exploring please read up carefully, old mines are pretty unsafe. I'm more interested about just finding them and seeing a part of Canada's history than exploring inside them which you definitely shouldn't do.

This past May, picked up a piece of quartz off the side of the Trans Canada highway while taking a leak. I vividly remember a high school teacher who brought in his rock collection told us that all his pieces were from the side of the highway usually where they cut through the rock. He said finding amethyst along the road is not uncommon. Pretty cool/nerdy stuff that always pops into my head while relieving myself on the highway shoulder

Back
Top Bottom