Rotella t6 on sale at canadian tire now | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rotella t6 on sale at canadian tire now

how much?

Costco sells the T4 Rotella (dino) for cheap too. Can't remember exactly what the price is but it's the usual Costco kind of discount over buying it elsewhere. Note, this is if you don't want or care about synthetic oil.

Terrible news everybody

CT has increased the regular price of the 5L jug of Rotella T6 from $47.99 to $50.39 :(

It's on sale now for $42.79 at CT or $39.99 at TSC

Bought some a few months ago for my BMW (car), a whole pail actually. Good oil

You know it wrecks catalytic converters, right?

It's a great oil with additives and metals that motorcycle/small engines love, but those same things wreak havok on cats.

Buy a pail for $127 when it’s on sale and apply for the $25 rebate when Shell is running their program.

Terrible news everybody

CT has increased the regular price of the 5L jug of Rotella T6 from $47.99 to $50.39 :(

It's on sale now for $42.79 at CT or $39.99 at TSC

CTC will price match. Saved me from trying to find a TSC.

You know it wrecks catalytic converters, right?

It's a great oil with additives and metals that motorcycle/small engines love, but those same things wreak havok on cats.

Just wondering if you have any other info on this as I have been running in 2008 sierra since 39,000km and now at 366,000km and same cat, been running in my wife's 07 escape since 20,000km now at 400,000km and same cat. Do you just mean if your engine burns oil then its bad for your cat...that sounds correct. Kinda like any other oil will destroy a cat if your engine ain't up to snuff.

Last edited:
Just wondering if you have any other info on this as I have been running in 2008 sierra since 39,000km and now at 366,000km and same cat, been running in my wife's 07 escape since 20,000km now at 400,000km and same cat. Do you just mean if your engine burns oil then its bad for your cat...that sounds correct. Kinda like any other oil will destroy a cat if your engine ain't up to snuff.

Rotella T6 contains an additive called ZDDP - Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate. It's an anti-wear additive and one of the reasons small engines love it.

Some good reading here:

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/classic-and-vintage/articles/reduced-zddp-and-wear-protection/

If you Google ZDDP there's lots of info out there on why/how it's harmful to cats.

Yes, it requires the engine to be consuming some oil to cause significant problems, but even without such it's reported to cause slower reaction times on various emissions components...IE, things get "lazy".

YMMV.

Rotella T6 contains an additive called ZDDP - Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate. It's an anti-wear additive and one of the reasons small engines love it.

Some good reading here:

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/classic-and-vintage/articles/reduced-zddp-and-wear-protection/

If you Google ZDDP there's lots of info out there on why/how it's harmful to cats.

Yes, it requires the engine to be consuming some oil to cause significant problems, but even without such it's reported to cause slower reaction times on various emissions components...IE, things get "lazy".

YMMV.

I am under the impression that Rotella was re-formulated a couple of years ago and it lost some zinc content. All motor oils contain "some" ZDDP, and a host of other "last chance" lubricants.
You may notice that Rotella is no longer marketed as "diesel" oil, it is now "fleet" oil. New Rotella passes the same EPA standards as everyone else.
Rotella was never THAT high in zinc content, it WAS/IS high in lead and boron.
Rotella is not GOOD oil, Rotella is CHEAP oil.

If you want ZDDP (you do in a motorcycle) buy motorcycle oil.
Motorcycle oil also has more anti foam agent than Rotella or any other car oil(again, you want that in a motorcycle).

Last edited:
^^ what are some brands/types of fully synthetic oil that follow what you are talking about?
Sometimes I use the Motul, sometimes the Gulf and sometimes the Rotella.

I am under the impression that Rotella was re-formulated a couple of years ago and it lost some zinc content. All motor oils contain "some" ZDDP, and a host of other "last chance" lubricants.
You may notice that Rotella is no longer marketed as "diesel" oil, it is now "fleet" oil. New Rotella passes the same EPA standards as everyone else.
Rotella was never THAT high in zinc content, it WAS/IS high in lead and boron.
Rotella is not GOOD oil, Rotella is CHEAP oil.

If you want ZDDP (you do in a motorcycle) buy motorcycle oil.
Motorcycle oil also has more anti foam agent than Rotella or any other car oil(again, you want that in a motorcycle).

Remind me to come back to this, I did a lot of homework on this a couple weeks ago

CK-4 and CJ-4 have the exact same limits for phosphorous content, there is no emissions reason for the newer formulations of Shell Rotella to have less ZDDP. CK-4/CJ-4 actually have stricter limits on oil foaming than API SN does, and most motorcycle oils are based on older API standards (partly due to the lower phosphorous limits in newer standards, I would think) which have further relaxed limits on foaming.

Again - API-SJ (oldest spec I have handy) has a limit on phosphorus content of 0.10% vs CK-4 having a limit of 0.12%. Motul 7100 currently has an API-SN label, which means it is limited to even less phosphorus, 0.8%.

Am I suggesting that this makes Motul 7100 worse than Rotella? Absolutely not, just saying that the diesel oil specs that it adheres to are beneficial to bikes instead of detrimental.

Last edited:
Re: Rotella T6 rebate

For what its worth, I'm running the T4 15-40 and all is well. I do prefer a heavier weight for my older bike though, like a 20-50. does T4 come in that? T6 maybe? This bike has only ever had dino

Back
Top Bottom