"For my wall"... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

"For my wall"...

Car plates are different, I dont think the MTO cares about getting those back if you cancel your sticker where as they care about getting your bike plate back. I still have my old plates from my old car in my garage, I guess I could always switch back and have Service Ontario re-issue me new stickers without the need of buying a new plate.

They would care if those plates suddenly found their way onto a different unlicensed vehicle, as they're still attached to you. They would make you care too, if police and MTO caught up with who was using them.

Yes, the posted kijiji request is a scam and I pity anyone who falls for it.

I never understood that - when I cancelled the sticker on the my plate they wanted the plate back as well but why take the plate if I paid for it? I didnt get a refund for the plate just the sticker (minus the days used).

When I toured BC/Alaska/Yukon 20yrs ago in a car, I returned 1 plate to the Ministry (Thats all they required) and kept the other as a souvenir. I still have that plate back in NZ. Might grab it next time I'm downunder.. Will look great on the wall :)

You don't actually buy the plate....you "rent" it. Read your documents....it's there somewhere. It's assigned to you until you return it. The sticker is attached to the plate, so you have to return the plate for a refund. Not sure if they would accept it if you peeled the sticker off though.

My understanding has always been that you buy the plate - are you still renting a plate if it customized?

My understanding has always been that you buy the plate - are you still renting a plate if it customized?

that was my understanding too. Specifically in Ontario you can't resell your custom plates like in other countries where certain ones are worth huge $$$

It's a weird use of ownership of the plate. You own it, but don't at the same time.

PLATE OWNER: ....licence plates are issued for life to the recipient and cannot be transferred.
PLATE TRANSFER: Licence plate in Ontario are not transferable except in certain cases as follows:
Between spouses, parents and children, grand parents and grand children and between siblings: any type of plate.

but if you want a refund on the sticker you have to surrender the plate with the sticker....the validated plate.

It's a weird use of ownership of the plate. You own it, but don't at the same time..

And if it fails (like the whole batch that peeled) you are legally required to buy another one at full price. When they have you buy the short and curlies, logic goes out the window.

It's the government....

Though there's a 5 year(from date of issue) manufacturer warranty on the plates. But how many actually "failed" in under that time? Don't think mine did. If anyone cares, a little blue marker should work.

Only $10 for my plates? That's awfully cheap for the liability of a stranger having my bike plates..... imagine cops coming to my house trying to bust me for "doing wheelies in the 401" and evasion of police.

If this dummy was smart he would offer $100 for them and he would get results.

Only $10 for my plates? That's awfully cheap for the liability of a stranger having my bike plates..... imagine cops coming to my house trying to bust me for "doing wheelies in the 401" and evasion of police.

If this dummy was smart he would offer $100 for them and he would get results.

You want to have that conversation with a cop for $100? They will bend you over even further when they find out you sold for more than the price of a new set. At that point it is quite obvious that they are being used for no good.

Back
Top Bottom