"For my wall"... | GTAMotorcycle.com

"For my wall"...

Xhumeka

Is it just me or does this sound very fishy?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...or-motor-cycle-expired-looking-for/1286293700

I'm looking for license plate s for bikes for my garage walls ..will pay cash for any expired plate ..not antique just expired...20$...

It might be more believable if he was accepting any plate INCLUDING antique, but the fact that he doesn't want antique makes me think he wants to use this on a dirty bike to avoid attention.

Or do you think he's actually building a wall of non-antique plates... at $20/plate that would add up fast trying to cover your garage walls!

Completely a scam imo. Who collects something but doesn't want antiques? Definitely looking to ride dirty, or provide dirty plates to all his/her friends to go stunting on the hwy.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I didn't think plates expired. The sticker does, but even after that expires, the plate still legally belongs to you and is still registered to you. When I cancelled my license plates, I had to return them to the MTO.

I never understood that - when I cancelled the sticker on the my plate they wanted the plate back as well but why take the plate if I paid for it? I didnt get a refund for the plate just the sticker (minus the days used).

Definitely a scam IMO, and even if it's not I wouldn't be giving away my plate. I recently had a dozen tickets I had to fight because someone was roaming around the city with a counterfeit plate that had the digits of a plate that used to be registered to me. No need to make it easier and give someone the real thing.

It's always been that way. That's how government made money before income taxes.

hmmm, i think we only pay 6 or 7 percent unless its bought from a dealer - then its full 13% hst. unless it has changed recently?

The argument was it was unfair for dealers as they couldn't compete against private sellers who had a 6% tax advantage. In reality, they were just bleeding badly and needed more money to waste.

I kept all of my plates....had some car ones from the 70s when the plates did expire yearly and new ones were issued....but lost them at some point.

Eh, you could pin them with the ol' double-cross. Sell the goof your plates, then report them stolen. You get the cash, they get the coppers.

Car plates are different, I dont think the MTO cares about getting those back if you cancel your sticker where as they care about getting your bike plate back. I still have my old plates from my old car in my garage, I guess I could always switch back and have Service Ontario re-issue me new stickers without the need of buying a new plate.

I have a bike plate in my garage with an expired sticker and MTO has never requested it back. I don't think MTO gives a crap about old plates. If they did, they would have a deposit on them to encourage people to return them.

The modern plates are assigned to you "forever". They only take the plates back if you want a refund on the remaining sticker value. Car or bike. or need replacements for defective/damaged ones.

Sell them and then report as stolen. Will minimize any shenanigans.

Doesn't that carry the risk of filing a false report for you?

Only if you forget to wear a pair of Groucho glasses during the transaction. No honour among thieves, remember? Besides, plenty of GTAMers engage in conspiracy to commit fraud at the MTO without qualms. Suddenly remembering the ethics of St. Thomas Aquinas when the risks are higher seems at odds with the spirit of adventure and daring motorcyclists claim to possess.

Yes, I'm still not serious.

The modern plates are assigned to you "forever". They only take the plates back if you want a refund on the remaining sticker value. Car or bike. or need replacements for defective/damaged ones.

This.

You don't have to return plates.

But selling them to some stranger on Kijiji is just asking for the police showing up at your door in a month or three when the inevitable squid/hooligan shenanigans happen with your plate hanging on the back of some strangers bike.

I have a bike plate in my garage with an expired sticker and MTO has never requested it back. I don't think MTO gives a crap about old plates. If they did, they would have a deposit on them to encourage people to return them.

I had a couple of old plates, just walked into the Service Ontario office and handed them in. Now they're off my record and not my problem.

Back
Top Bottom