Bought a track bike - What is the best dry/wet tire for a noob? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bought a track bike - What is the best dry/wet tire for a noob?

People who are new to track riding probably will not be riding hard enough to keep slicks up to their proper operating temperature. They are better off to start with street/sport DOT tires, which work over a wider temperature range (i.e. they start working at a lower temperature - and don't need tire warmers).

As your pace picks up and you start riding harder, street oriented tires will get to the point where they overheat and start sliding ... that's when it's time to have a friendly chat with the tire guy at the track about what to do next.

That also sounds like noobs like me should not get the slicks. even if they are warmed with warmers, I probably won't push them enough to keep them warmed.
Depends on your pace. You can safely run a performance street tire at fast yellow/slow red group pace in my opinion. At a green group pace you are just wasting money with slicks.

Some people use the Pirelli Superbike Pro slick, which does not "require" warmers but I really don't see the point. If you are at the level where slicks are required just buy the damn warmers so you know the tire is at operating temp and avoid the 3 lap guessing game that could potentially end in a crash.

Maybe I am unnecessarily splitting hairs here.
You are. Any high perf street tire will do for your needs. You will experience greater differences in tire performance due to track conditions than tire type, especially in the wet.

Q3.

You are. Any high perf street tire will do for your needs. You will experience greater differences in tire performance due to track conditions than tire type, especially in the wet.

Q3.

I will be getting the Q3+'s for now and in the meantime looking for dedicated rains/wheels.

Seriously appreciate all the help gents. If any of you see me out there, don't hesitate to come over and share some knowledge with me!

Oh, and if someone knows if there are any interchangeable wheels from different GSXR600 model years(I have a 2005), please let me know! I want to broaden my search.

If you do slicks without tire warmers/generator and just take it easy on first lap, I am assuming there is still benefit from performance perspective by using the slick vs Non slicks correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is not good advice.

I will be getting the Q3+'s for now and in the meantime looking for dedicated rains/wheels.

Seriously appreciate all the help gents. If any of you see me out there, don't hesitate to come over and share some knowledge with me!

Good Luck and have fun.

Ran them(S20) on my SV650 at TMP once, in the wet, and the dry. Still here to talk about it :cool:
Yea you also win most of your races and won the championship on your first year racing.... not everyone is a dreamy as you are :)

of course people can run a street tire in the rain... I do it all the time on my way to work lol

Oh, and if someone knows if there are any interchangeable wheels from different GSXR600 model years(I have a 2005), please let me know! I want to broaden my search.
If the 2005 GSXR 1000 works, I have a brand new extra rear you can have as long as you buy me a Tim Hortons 3x3. just the rim though and it's white .... ewww.

Last edited:
01-05 600
00-05 750
01-04 1000 front wheel only

You will need 04-05 rotors.
Yea you also win most of your races and won the championship on your first year racing.... not everyone is a dreamy as you are :)

of course people can run a street tire in the rain... I do it all the time on my way to work lol
Easy there tiger! I have not won a lot more races than I have won!

If the 2005 GSXR 1000 works, I have a brand new extra rear you can have as long as you buy me a Tim Hortons 3x3. just the rim though and it's white .... ewww.
1000 is a 6 inch rim, the 600 is a 5.5, no bueno.

I was told my rim looked more like a 12 inch....
I knew there was a reason this was on my bike.
18676506_10213299573193563_1179059377_o_zpspiqeg7m6.jpg~original

Back
Top Bottom