What would a Wildrose win in Alberta mean for Canada? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What would a Wildrose win in Alberta mean for Canada?

Clem

Just spent 3 weeks in Alberta on business and the Wildrose/PC merger is generating a lot of buzz and media coverage

Seems like the PC's are currently polling at 30% and the Wildrose at 38%. A merged 68% of the vote equates to a huge majority. Speculation is that Notley will also call an early election.

There is a lot of speculation - I would actually say more like excitement - that if they get the numbers then they will have a referendum to secede.

Most Albertan's I've been speaking to see Alberta as the most prosperous province in Canada, but the most heavily-taxed and they are being treated very unfairly by Ottawa . The other perception is that the Trudeau family (father and son) have so much disdain for Albertan's, and Justin hasn't really done anything to try and address this, I think snubbing the invite to the Stampede was the latest example.

Is it this end of Confederation in 2019? And before dismissing it outright, no one ever thought Brexit would garner enough votes right up until the counting started.

Well people never vote logically on these things but...

Good luck getting their oil to the west coast through BC to China etc. they have enough trouble with that as part of Canada. Good luck getting BC to join them. East forget that to.

US at the moment doesn't actually need their oil, and may not for a very long time (or ever again). Any pipeline south, they will get totally bent over (they have no other option and the US has no real need). And even with Trump in power TransCanada is saying it is very unlikely Keystone will ever be built.

From a global perspective, Venezuela will likely hit the total reset button in the next 15 years (maybe much sooner) opening (dramatically increasing) the flow of oil to the US. The refineries in Texas that they ship tar sands oil to were built for Venezuelan heavy sour crude, so they can also work with Alberta heavy sour crude. Way cheaper to buy from Venezuela than Alberta (even after bending Alberta over).

Welcome to the third world landlocked country of Alberta.

Last edited:
Alberta could do whatever it wanted when it was $100/barrel. I agree with blackmarkerducati, their golden days are behind them.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

The Saudis are building luxury resorts on Red Sea islands to increase tourism in order to divest themselves of reliance on fossil fuel revenue that has been decreasing year on year. If Alberta wants to secede let them...the greedy bastards.

both my kids live in AB, the talk of seceding with the wildrose/PC gong show is just to wrestle the control away from the NDP. Its a play out of Trumps book. Get all the rednecks and rural folk on side, blocks on foreign labor (which they desperately need) , leave Canada...... the PC got tossed out on thier arses after all the years of scamming came to light, the NDP was a knee jerk reaction. The wildrose wont do much.

Oh boy, another political thread..... Must resist!

Interesting. I said this the day after Trudeau got elected.

My brother lives in AB, and he says its a mess.

I think Wildrose were a shoe in regardless of the merger. The NDP are running at 20% in current polling and its dropping.

Its not just Oil. Beef, Softwood Lumber, Dairy, etc. are all staples of the AB economy. When the Don "re-negotiates" NAFTA i believe these will get hammered. Justin will simply apply more Vaseline to ease the pain and bend over further for him;)

Regardless if they leave or not, and I think its a definite possibility, the uncertainty is almost worse than the outcome. As was evident during the peak of the Quebec movement. Foreign investment in Canada almost dried up and many companies headquartered in Quebec headed for the US. The Alberta thing also reignited talk of separation in Quebec.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Get all the rednecks

I always find this funny and insulting at the same time. Most people have no clue as to what a Redneck is. My family tree is full of rednecks.

Rednecks were Scots and Scots-Irish (Mainly Presbyterian and some Catholic's) that had to flee to Canada and the US in the 18 and 19th centuries because they wouldn't "covenant" to the British Crown or the Church of England. They wanted to continue to live and worship in their own way, the penalty for which was generally persecution by the British Crown and death.

The term Redneck comes from the Red scarf that they wore around their necks and was a degority term coined by the British Militia. Blackmouth was another term used by the English that has since died out, as they were forced to forage for wild roots and berries when the English starved them, hence the black stains around their mouths.

So, if you want to see a bunch of "Rednecks", drive up to the graveyard in Fergus, walk to the back of the old section and you will see a row of graves marked McDonnell starting in 1764. They are all rednecks and my ancestors that were forced to flee from the Scottish Lowland and Ireland

I always find this funny and insulting at the same time. Most people have no clue as to what a Redneck is. My family tree is full of rednecks.

Rednecks were Scots and Scots-Irish (Mainly Presbyterian and some Catholic's) that had to flee to Canada and the US in the 18 and 19th centuries because they wouldn't "covenant" to the British Crown or the Church of England. They wanted to continue to live and worship in their own way, the penalty for which was generally persecution by the British Crown and death.

The term Redneck comes from the Red scarf that they wore around their necks and was a degority term coined by the British Militia. Blackmouth was another term used by the English that has since died out, as they were forced to forage for wild roots and berries when the English starved them, hence the black stains around their mouths.

So, if you want to see a bunch of "Rednecks", drive up to the graveyard in Fergus, walk to the back of the old section and you will see a row of graves marked McDonnell starting in 1764. They are all rednecks and my ancestors that were forced to flee from the Scottish Lowland and Ireland
What are you talking about?

red·neck/ˈredˌnek/
noun

a working-class white person, especially a politically reactionary one from a rural area.

What are you talking about?

red·neck/ˈredˌnek/
noun

a working-class white person, especially a politically reactionary one from a rural area.

This is what I'm talking about. I find it surprising that most people have never really chosen to research the history of their own country ;)

http://www.scotshistoryonline.co.uk/rednecks/rednecks.html

This was marginalised group. I think its a shame that the term is still allowed to be used.

Last edited:

This is interesting. I am also a McDonnell.

I've been spending some time tracing my Family roots. I've managed to go right back to Ayr in Scotland in the 1600's to a guy called Donald McDonnell from the Clan MacDonnell of Glengarry. in 1649 he was accused by the Crown of treason and forced to flee to Ulster where they settled in an area called Kells, Close to the North East coast.

The Clan seems to have split at this point as there is documented evidence of the remaining family taking part in the Jacobite Rebellions

In 1747 they were force to flee again when, being Presbyterians they refused to covenant to the Church of England. They came to Upper Canada by way of Nova Scotia and settled in what today is Elora. At that time Upper Canada (Ontario) was pretty much the wild west. They were moved on from Nova Scotia and Quebec as they were pretty much run by the English and French respectively who didn't want a bunch of "rednecks". Particularly the English and
Sassenach's in Nova Scotia

We are possibly related somewhere along the line as I have burial records from my family tree from Elora, Fergus, Elmira and West Montrose. PM me, happy to share all of this with you if there is any interest.

My grandfather told me the origin of the term Redneck. I think its a shame that a group so victimised in life continue to be victimised in death. We are all not Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel

So yes, I confess, I'm a Redneck descendant and I'm proud of it :)

Edit: Its also amazing how far we spread out.

James McDonnell, the founder of McDonnell Douglas is a direct decent of Alexander who was the first to settle in Elora and I've been in touch with may decendants in Ontario, Alberta, Montana, Washington, BC and even 2 in New Zealand, 1 in Japan and 1 in Dubai and 1 in
Madagascar

Last edited:
Origins are one thing, but common usage today is another. Many words have changed their meaning over time. For example "gay".

I appreciate the history lesson, my family were Allans, left Scotland during the displacements. We settled into an area just north of Milton in the "scotch block" at Speyside, couple hundred years ago before the town of Milton was even formed. Once the Allans married Campbells everybody pretended to not be a Scot.
The Campbells mostly left Scotland for different political reasons, but you probably heard that one.

In AB where my kids live and work, a 'redneck' is a guy that works out in the sun, actual labor like a farmer, hence the redneck. But wherever floats your boat.

Alberta is in decline, so the usual populist bs starts to look viable.

I'm Scot/Irish, and I can't say this any more vehemently, **** the English, and **** the Royal Family....

Alberta is dead permanently!
No come-back in oil prices because of were energy focus is now (not on fossil fuel that's for sure)!
Mr. Photo-Op is going to be negotiating NAFTA with Mr. Crazy and his henchmen so that will kill any lumber or beef trade. along with dairy & poultry. ( Mr. Crazy is the one trying to stuff a softwood tree down the throat of Mr. Photo Op, by the way).

I really don't see an upside but; I could be wrong!

This.

Sunburned neck; despite the etymology.
Had to Google that. Not gonna lie.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Almost forgot:
Political thread; marked for deletion.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

This is what I'm talking about. I find it surprising that most people have never really chosen to research the history of their own country ;)

http://www.scotshistoryonline.co.uk/rednecks/rednecks.html

This was marginalised group. I think its a shame that the term is still allowed to be used.

There is no hard evidence that the term in common use today (here) originated from your Scottish ancestors. It may have, more likely than not though, it is because farmers do have red necks.

Back
Top Bottom