What is the best all around motorcycle in your opinion? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What is the best all around motorcycle in your opinion?

There is no such thing. .

That was my thought, too. Trying to make something that's "good" at a bunch of things often leaves it with not being exemplary (or sometimes even acceptable) for any/most of them as part of the process of attempting to be many things it's not.

Another problem is that few people buy motorcycles strictly based upon objective criteria.

When confronted with similar questions (Off-road capability didn't come up, though) it's hard to argue against something like a Honda VFR800. And yet, I would never buy one, because they're sterile, antiseptic, neutered, bland. Instead, I bought something that rips and snorts, and is something of a handful, and is completely impractical and perhaps a wee bit temperamental.

If you're Chris Birch a KTM 1290 super adventure would work as he can throw the thing around like a big dirt bike off road.

Highway cruising? I expect an ST1300, a Goldwing or an F6B would all be pretty good at that.

The answer is obviously V-Strom 650.

Seeing as I ride one, I would normally say the same, but more and more I've been wanting something else. Maybe the newest version of the Strom or even lusting after a multistrada or something similar.

There's better than the v-strom imo.

Best all around bike depends on what degree of on-road vs off-road capability one wants. For all-around capability and more off-road preference I'd go with a Honda Africa twin. Lovely all-around bike and a huge following on ADV forums. And I'd pick an FJ-09 for the best all-around bike with more on-road preference. Many people ADV and tour with the FJ-09 (even track days), hard bags and lots of accessories and price is crazy good. Plus they are light, powerful and a bit of a hooligan machine. Both bikes are Japanese quality and reliability as well, which is great for high milers and touring.

These bikes really stand out and are at different ends of the all-around spectrum (on-road and off-road combinations).

Last edited:
For all-around off-road I'd go with a Honda Africa twin.

If you mean the OG (89-03) XRV 750, I'll agree. The CRF1000 is 70 lbs. heavier and a bit more road oriented.

Honda%20XRV750%2090%20%206.jpg

figured the Wee guys would be out in force in this thread
they are fiercely defensive of that bike that sounds and rides like a lawnmower

......And go!

Criteria to consider:
- Comfort
- Long distance touring
- Decent off road capability (optional)
- Fuel efficiency
- 2 up

Never ridden one but I think a Versys 300 would meet these needs well.

According to reviews it's comfortable, well capable of highway speed, suspension is acceptable for offroad use and is relatively lightweight compared to the big tourers, very fuel efficient, seat should be better for 2 up than a sport bike.

......And go!

Criteria to consider:
- Comfort
- Long distance touring
- Decent off road capability (optional)
- Fuel efficiency
- 2 up

A second vote for the BMW R1200GS, though personally I would step it up to the GSA. Larger tank and more wind protection.

Very comfortable with electronic suspension that can be adjusted for your needs as you ride. Long range with a large tank. Dirt roads, no problem, they are made for them. Fuel efficient unless you are travelling about 75mph then it goes right down. Plenty of room for 2 and tons of storage place. No slouch, lots of fun in the curves, dirt or slabbing it down the highway. I personally think it is the best all around package for touring with integrated Nav that you can control without your hands leaving the bars, great LED lights, amazing brakes, great suspension, just a wonderfully thought out bike. You pay the price of course, not a cheap bike, but worth it with all the smiles it delivers when you can basically do it all.

IMG_0287 by B P, on Flickr

Another problem is that few people buy motorcycles strictly based upon objective criteria.

When confronted with similar questions (Off-road capability didn't come up, though) it's hard to argue against something like a Honda VFR800. And yet, I would never buy one, because they're sterile, antiseptic, neutered, bland. Instead, I bought something that rips and snorts, and is something of a handful, and is completely impractical and perhaps a wee bit temperamental.

Hey, you take that back! jk
I picked a bike with the realization that riding in GTA is exactly what you described the vfr as, sterile, neutered, bland until you get 1.5 hours out.
I decided that for the boring rides that make up at least half my riding, (enroute to more relatively more fun roads, while still boring, we live in the wrong area of North America for riding bliss), I'll get a bike that is comfortable, while not entirely too ugly, and one that sounds the TITS. Being cheap to acquire and insure is just a bonus. Rode 8 hours straight for my first "I'll be back soon babe" ride, and that was a new experience.

I owned what was supposed to be the best gen Vfr 98-01, but there was always something missing .Next bikes I owned were a zx9 and a fz1, all of them were great bikes . However my current bike FZ09 is the only bike that moves that makes me laugh and gives me wood every time I twist the throttle, the thought has never my mind once to replace or upgrade it.

I owned what was supposed to be the best gen Vfr 98-01, but there was always something missing .Next bikes I owned were a zx9 and a fz1, all of them were great bikes . However my current bike FZ09 is the only bike that moves that makes me laugh and gives me wood every time I twist the throttle, the thought has never my mind once to replace or upgrade it.

I second this thought and agree with the FZ09 and I have a race prep GSXR1000 ....... and ewww

Back
Top Bottom