What is the best all around motorcycle in your opinion? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What is the best all around motorcycle in your opinion?

black_CG2

......And go!

Criteria to consider:
- Comfort
- Long distance touring
- Decent off road capability (optional)
- Fuel efficiency
- 2 up

BMW S1000XR

2nd choice: Ducati Multistrada or KTM Adventure 1190

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Whichever bike I'm riding at the moment.

You've got a conflict in your specification. Big adventure bikes are pretty good for everything but off road where they are a handful. Small adventure bikes are much better off road, but normally sacrifice some comfort (both seating wise and effortless high speed touring).

Alternatively, give up on the offroad and you open up many more choices like FJR's and big cruisers.

I don't think there is a best, almost every bike is a compromise. The best bike for you depends on your specific use case and what gives you pleasure (eg. it's hard to say a KLR is bad at anything, but some people aren't happy driving a tractor for fun).

Many will tour well. To me, the challenge is finding the right ride for 2up.

Take a classic/modern FJ for example. You can load it up, have a top and side cases, decent range, power, protection, etc.

Would a passenger be as comfortable? Ok seat, alright foot position, back rest with a top box might be ok.

For me, a BMW R1200 RT would do the trick coast to coast, back roads. But nothing more than gravel country roads if needed. And a passenger? Not sure if they would find it as enjoyable as I would?

Now the missus would prefer something like a Goldwing or Road Glide or something of the same effect.

Fine for trans Canada highways along with the RV and rest of the tourist heading across provinces as fast as possible. Definitely not fun on gravel much less anything else without tartop.

Multistrada or the like in the adventure category is appealing too.

I must admit to some personal vanity to steer clear of the adventure style bikes. My prefers is sport touring or cruisers.

Thus why my choice may not line up with others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
CBR F2 or 3 if you want to splurge.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk
My best friend had a brand new F2 in 92. I loved riding that bike, I had a zx7r at the time and we swapped constantly. He loved the extra power on the zx and the cbr just felt so "right" to me.
I often see a clean one on Kijiji and think hard about it, but insurance kills it.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

No such thing. You need different bikes for different purposes. That's why there's so many categories of motorcycle.

On paper something like a V-Strom 650 would seem the most well-rounded. Personally I don't find them 'aesthetically pleasing' so they're off my list.

Last edited:
On paper something like a V-Strom 650 would seem the most well-rounded. Personally I don't find them 'aesthetically pleasing' so they're off my list.

I don't find any adventure bikes 'aesthetically pleasing'. But those seem to be what the OPs criteria gravitates to.

I don't find any adventure bikes 'aesthetically pleasing'. But those seem to be what the OPs criteria gravitates to.

Aesthetically pleasing isn't even mentioned is his reasonably extensive list of desires.

My best friend had a brand new F2 in 92. I loved riding that bike, I had a zx7r at the time and we swapped constantly. He loved the extra power on the zx and the cbr just felt so "right" to me.
I often see a clean one on Kijiji and think hard about it, but insurance kills it.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

It's an older SS so good power and handling. The power band has enough grunt down low for city riding and it can scream up high. The ergonomics are perfect for me. I was about to get an vtrom at a point and I absolutely hated it when I sat on it. No doubt there are many newer bikes that are better than the F2/3, but nothing you can pick up under $1000 and go beat on it on dirt roads without worries.

You have a very amenable gf/wife if she enjoys long days on the back of an SS. :)

We used to. Honestly I don't know why. I don't see the point of being a passenger on a bike. I guess she enjoyed the ride like people enjoy roller coaster rides. We used to do day trips on a KTM SMC. Right now we are looking in to getting a miata instead of the bike. It makes way more sense for a 2 person fun vehicle.

Last edited:
Aesthetically pleasing isn't even mentioned is his reasonably extensive list of desires.

To be 'best' also includes the emotion that a bike gives you. Not just all the practical stuff or we'd all be driving Civics or Corollas.

Back
Top Bottom