Crazy storm in Toronto | GTAMotorcycle.com

Crazy storm in Toronto

Optimal

Heads up there's a violent storm with hail and gusts in North York and parts of toronto. Avoid the 401 if u can. Felt like I was I'm the movie "twister"

lol, another day, another storm. Is everyone really that worried about riding in or through a storm? Rode through that yesterday and thankfully avoided hail but got the heavy rain and wind. I will duck out for hail for obvious reasons but wind and rain just means to take it easy and be extra vigilante.

There is a tornado warning out for tonight and tomorrow ....it's not something you want to fool with ....even close proximity.....I've been in near misses twice and you are not riding them ....you hunker down behind something, over pass, stopped truck whatever and hold on tight for a few terrifying minutes until the storm gust goes by ....

This about what it looks like - rain is horizontal and there is no visibility.
[video=youtube;OgAwb0Zq46g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgAwb0Zq46g[/video]

Even sheltered it's hard to hold the bike upright stopped.

Wife and I just got home from 3 days on the scoots, crisscrossed southwestern Ontario here and there checking out locations in the "150 Interesting and Unusual things to see in Ontario" book.

We hit torrential rain (literally, sheet, could barely see the road) west of Collingwood. Thankfully I saw it on the radar with enough notice to stop and gear up, but we were in the middle of nowhere and simply sitting it out wasn't really an option (and I didn't expect it to be quite as bad as it was) but we rode on. Ended up putting the hazard lights on at one point and just poking along at about 30-40KPH - we were on a back country road in a park-ish type area so there wasn't much traffic.

It looked like we were going to get caught yesterday as well but we had a slow schedule (and saw it coming again on the radar) so this time we found a little park gazebo thing and drove the bikes right under it and waited it out safe and dry.

But yes, some wild storms the last 3 days. We missed all your of today's as well, left Dover this morning and never saw a drop, but saw lots on radar west and north of us.

MyRadar app is REALLY good for near term threats...

GdRJD18jw_jX0cvabTdBqqKiphSA672Mp9XDdz6BtEtTAVBrt2fOt3_BdP-EEsh2ADI=h900

so much for a late night ride tonight ...... :(

https://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WSO

Last edited:
I use a combination of Wunderground (it has a nice radar view), Storm (also by Wunderground, but more radar/storm focused), and an old app that basically just shows the Environment Canada radar.

Something wicked this way comes....damn - wanted a ride ...can I get out for an hour.....this time WITH headlight

bLb6ZY1SUbUDSVNHpNq-BLD93z9WwAJxA9aWkv3-BCR8TT1ycTF_ma3VtkUgttF0bzno3U8m-wfpwpn99MDT_ebIsSdiuIg9LxTa1OA2gRhlRnmwIg-G_Jr2_bAvHpoa-A8Wt5nXcv8LsLjEInxKO19XhzKJCcYRj8e1qrlstLuBh6mWaHubq2qpLMUuuEZ2Lmp_gWOYcepwbdaM4n3HZ1Uhh61Il7m0gvTc55oBlqObiyxRfi8CkhCSPRiKlC-ycZrHmN982ZoxlXI0DNSSUzF_vKkfxI5Ke_DBgGb09lbFVZaNJhzj9YRsTDeAaqzHmIo9L0wo1mtVPQ6SndDmd3s7JnslXYJqC5VWQPji5o4H0hdJYIC0Dw30TjuC1djUC0MRdiJtp3QkgpGNBT_RMMFfK25Aem5aPNZmEeZOJmjVqZnMW11d9SX-ylLNPm8t6Bx3MR9t-guK7IayGCBSCm_7pOULxrvcKJZfdVPOzqKiIBsI6XbvKwreksEJeVUaSM9Ga3FG1ILqWYUgKVgialG9yrNq7qaUibyYhsco6qcHzkY_tQxTGma-Du8qeKMEsKrqk9mgpH4Pv6KsDqcoYWSw_GU_t7Yok0CdT1r4NuRy6hPphcJW52p0aA=w1036-h1152-no

Yeah, it's moving slow, but seems to be a quite organized line slipping up the stationary front parked just north of us. Might be an interesting weather night...or might just blow itself out as these sorts of things often do before they reach the GTA.

Anyone out right now would be well advised to head for home, or find somewhere to hunker down if you're out on the scoots and home is too far away. The radar is looking very, very nasty. Under a Tornado watch out this way an by the look of the cells on the west edge of the lake headed across the lake towards us I understand why.

Well should make for an interesting ride home, that's for sure

Sturm und drang in Sauga just now - very dark gusty and heavy rain

And lightning - think the storm broke the radar :D

Last edited:
Got hit by a massive storm in Woodstock as I was heading to London to drop off my loaner bike and pick mine up from service. I saw it was about to come down so stopped under a bridge to get my rain gloves on and the heavens just opened up sending a wall of water sideways, no safety under the bridge. Waited about 5 mins for it to die down a bit then pushed on behind slow moving cars, visibility was low. Started really coming down again at the service station outside London so hunkered down there for another 10 mins. Had not been in such heavy rain in a long time.

Lovely day yesterday but wind was something else, the traffic jam on the QEW was epic heading towards Niagara ....not sure if it was just the wind on the bridges or something else but ended going up and around through Hamilton on the parkway and stayed on Mud St all the way to St. Catharines ( which was okay ).

At least the wind was behind me once I turned toward St. Kitts...only did 250 km and felt like it was an 800 km day...a couple weeks of no long trips and get out of shape right quick. Looks good today.

I was stuck in that QEW traffic. Ugh, 2.5 hours from home to the hotel in Hamilton, and even Waze didn't have any measurably better options to get around any of it in a more efficient fashion.

Nuts.

Back
Top Bottom