How Many is too Many KMs | GTAMotorcycle.com

How Many is too Many KMs

Mileage doesn't matter ....maintenance does. It depends on how well it was cared for. Hard to tell as the dealership probably doesn't have any records, then again I don't keep them either. Have to rely on the condition and test ride. 40k on an 09 isn't much. Dealer might not allow a test ride, but I'd never buy a bike without one. Tested a few bikes that look good, but were unrideable for a block.

For me it depends on the bike. You see R1200GS's still fetching big $$$ with over 100 000km on them. Honda Goldwings as well. I am always leary of bikes that are popular with younger kids. They have been beaten like rented mules for the most part.
Hyabusa with 39 000 km is probably not even broken in. It's a very strong motor. Almost impossible to abuse them.
Will be hard on back tires and chain and sprockets.

Last edited:
An 09 with 39k sounds like an owner that likes to ride. Do they care for it as much as they ride it?

Have a look and see.

You can get a decent feel for it from taking to the owner and checking out the bike.

If they invite you to their home, you can see where TD kept, how organized they are, if they have it serviced at the dealer or shop, receipts etc.

But I wouldn't let the odometer scare me.

Sometimes a lack of kilos is a bit of a red flag and having it parked for a while. Sitting for a while can make for some bits needing replacement if it's not stored properly.

As it's been said, it really comes down to how well it's taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's possible that a more mature rider owned this bike - you wouldn't typically find younger riders riding these and owners of BUSA's typically will maintain them (unless some looks out of the ordinary where it might have been lowered and stretched).

Like mentioned above, ask them if they a full history (and possibly UVIP) and possibly let you take it out for a test ride (20-30min mark if you can pull it off) this way you can do regular street riding plus jump on the highway if you can to open it up at a higher speed/rpm.

Thanks for all the comments guys! I'm still riding my "training wheels" and have no idea what buying used bikes is like or what to look for. So all the help is amazing!

40K on a 09 Busa is nothing. Friend of mine has about 120K on them, rides the damn thing all over Australia. One thing you might want to check is Suzuki's scheduled maintenance. I know the valve clearance is a big out at 24K, so not sure if you would need to do them again in 5-10K time.

There are still plenty of BMW K75s and K100s on the road with well over 100,000 km.
I have heard tell of ones with 300,000 but I've never actually seen one.
I agree with the other posters, it really does rely on how well (or poorly) they were maintained,.

What the others have said...maintenance is key and to a degree the reputation of the ride for reliability.

Vstroms are pretty bulletproof and I had zero hesitation buying my 2010 with 93k on it as it was well maintained....except for a new chain and a known stator issue ( now fixed ) the machine has been excellent for the $40k I've put on it. One lad retired his Vstrom 1000 with 400k MILES on it....had never cracked the motor...

I'd get help from a knowledgeable rider if you are new and buying a bike that can be expensive to fix..but 40k on that kind of motor is just starting to smooth out. :D

Quite a jump from "training wheels"
I assume you have checked your insurance cost?

What the others have said...maintenance is key and to a degree the reputation of the ride for reliability.

Vstroms are pretty bulletproof and I had zero hesitation buying my 2010 with 93k on it as it was well maintained....except for a new chain and a known stator issue ( now fixed ) the machine has been excellent for the $40k I've put on it. One lad retired his Vstrom 1000 with 400k MILES on it....had never cracked the motor...

I'd get help from a knowledgeable rider if you are new and buying a bike that can be expensive to fix..but 40k on that kind of motor is just starting to smooth out. :D

Quite a jump from "training wheels"
I assume you have checked your insurance cost?

Oh yea, I'll be getting someone to come with me. Aswell as had my insurance checked. I'm 22 yo rider with M2, but would have my full license by the time I'm riding that big beast

Oh yea, I'll be getting someone to come with me. Aswell as had my insurance checked. I'm 22 yo rider with M2, but would have my full license by the time I'm riding that big beast

Eeek. You may want to double check your insurance by calling other companies if you got a reasonable quote. Many many people have gotten quotes, bought a fast bike and then had the insurance company say they made a mistake and double or triple the original quote.

Eeek. You may want to double check your insurance by calling other companies if you got a reasonable quote. Many many people have gotten quotes, bought a fast bike and then had the insurance company say they made a mistake and double or triple the original quote.

Really? Should I be waiting longer? I heard it gets a lot easier when you turn 25??

YES. Jumping to a Busa as a 2nd bike is a big jump. I'll bet ins. will be high for your experience and age.

Really? Should I be waiting longer? I heard it gets a lot easier when you turn 25??

Based on your age and no M, I would be surprised if insurance was less than $3500 (and it might be much more). Brokers can be your friend as they should know what premium to expect.

Add me to the list of people that think 39K is no problem as long as it saw some love.

EDIT:
Wait a minute, you've had a bike for less than 1 month? smh. Insurance estimate revised to $8000

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom