Disc lock alarms | GTAMotorcycle.com

Disc lock alarms

Retro

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting here and I need some advice. I've been trying to decide if a disc lock alarm is for me or not. I live in an apartment building, my bike is outside and just thought this might give me some piece of mind. Now we all know if thieves are gonna take the bike they will just take it. I still think this is a good deterrent so some help deciding whether I should get a disc lock with an alarm or without an alarm would help a lot. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

They work good. Best on the back tire because it is harder to remove the back tire. The brighter the lock the better so that it is a visual deterrent. Xena makes several with a shock siren and tilt sensor in it. I have used it for years. The unit I have is the X14. The more deterrents you have the better.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I was researching about the same a week ago
I found this video very interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV81I9sy6Do
He recommends this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...GI5CI&linkId=e79369722b5472454383d3deb009fcff
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...D404G&linkId=ee9166280b8ae3f19123e9d1e11459bb

(I didn't buy anything yet tho)
There's a Xena disc lock with alarm, but every youtube video I've seen they all say the same: It goes off all the time for no reason.

The xena unit is more sensitive if you put it at the top of the disc (12 o'clock) and less sensitive if you hang it from he bottom of the disc (6 o'clock). I think this has to do with their tilt sensor set up

Just so you know the alarm siren can be neutralized with a piece of chewing gum. Bike thefts have been of the lift and run type in underground parking, not roll and run. These locks may deter a casual thief though, I have one but barely used it, only in hotel parking lots when travelling.

If you get a lock make sure you have a fool proof way to remind yourself it's on. A sleeve over the ignition key works well so you have to physically remove the sleeve before starting the bike (which should remind you to remove the disc lock). I have heard of far more people banging their disc locks off the caliper (and then sometimes dumping the bike) than I have heard of thefts prevented by the lock.

Thanks for all the responses guys!! I think I'm gonna go with the kryptonite keeper and see how it works out. Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

There is nothing that will give you piece of mind.

A bike with a disc lock can be picked up and shoved into a mini-van.
Your best bet is a very heavy case hardened chain with a ground anchor (look into what Almax has to offer).
Even then, an portable angle grinder can cut through it within a few minutes.

If you live in an apartment or a condo, all you can really do is have a bike that thieves generally have little desire to steal.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting here and I need some advice. I've been trying to decide if a disc lock alarm is for me or not. I live in an apartment building, my bike is outside and just thought this might give me some piece of mind. Now we all know if thieves are gonna take the bike they will just take it. I still think this is a good deterrent so some help deciding whether I should get a disc lock with an alarm or without an alarm would help a lot. Thanks

This is only good if your bike is just outside your window about 10-ft away, otherwise forget it. Nobody will care about the alarm sounding at night except you. Can't hear it, its useless.

If I were you I will solicit houses around you with garages and tell them you are going to give them $50/month to leave your bike in their garages. Thats what I did for a while with a home owner about 300-ft away from my highrise building.

I have a xena that HAD an alarm. I welded up racks for the KLR and added an additional piece with a hole so I could lock it on the bike for storage. Shortly after I found that the alarm portion had broken or fallen off. Now it's just a disc lock no more alarm.

I was thinking of developing an alarm hooked up to a 50,000volt automobile ignition coil wired to the bike. As soon as it goes off ZZZZZAP! Thief would get a nasty surprise.

I have the top of the line XENA lock. It's not loud enough. Those cheap Chinese alarm padlocks are much louder, but less sensitive and they stop working in the rain. But yeah, in the absence of anything else get some alarm locks and put a couple of them on the bike and one on a very visible chain. That won't guarantee it won't be stolen, but it will discourage the lazy thieves.

Back
Top Bottom