Custom Li-ion cell battery pack built to specs? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Custom Li-ion cell battery pack built to specs?

mxs

Site Supporter
Looking for a battery pack builder who could build a pack to specs (not only V/Ah, but pack dimensions as well), based on 18650 quality cells. It's a one-off project (e-bike), so I don't want to start buying tools like battery spot welder etc. I would never use again ....

Let me know if you know someone in GTA.

Thanks

Try acme battery in the hammer (aka Great Northern Battery). They have built some custom nicad and nimh packs for me before. I am assuming they can get li-ion built as well.

Just called them ... they don't deal with Li-Ion ... just old fashioned stuff.

Do you already have the batteries? There's a few reputable builders in China that ship then. Might be your best option. I was looking to convert a very heavy MTB to an ebike so I can probally dig through my notes to find those builders. I ended up just getting a light MTB.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Do you already have the batteries? There's a few reputable builders in China that ship then. Might be your best option. I was looking to convert a very heavy MTB to an ebike so I can probally dig through my notes to find those builders. I ended up just getting a light MTB.

With all due respect to China, I am not going to touch packs made there ... just impossible to vet what cells they are using. Not worth the hassle and risk in my opinion.

Wouldn't it be a LOT of 18650s? How many do you plan?

The count is not really a deterrent ... think of Tesla cars who still use the same cells to build their huge packs. I just need 48V/10Ah ... thinking of 10S/4P pack being the best variation for my application ... so, to answer your question, it will require 40 18650 cells of 2500mAh cell capacity or somewhere around that (they vary). For someone who does that all the time, it's an easy pack. BTW, I don't need brand new cells (can cost 10$/cell for quality one), just one with good health. Guys with access to cordless tool batteries etc. are great for that.

Panasonic NCR 18650. Some of the best. I would be surprised if bosh made them somewhere else. How can you be so sure local builders batteries are more trustworthy than established China builders?

You can never be sure 100%, but .... there's so many knock-offs in China, plus what do I do with a pack which I find out later has a knock-off of a real Pana, Samsung or Sony cell? Locally, I can go see the guy and his work before or after I buy a pack from them .... Plus shipping batteries by air from overseas becomes more and more complicated/expensive, especially when they pack a decent power.

Back
Top Bottom