Black Retroreflective White Tape On the back | GTAMotorcycle.com

Black Retroreflective White Tape On the back

Does anyone have an experience of being questioned or even ticketed for having retroreflective tape at the back of the bike that reflects white light? It can be amazing for visibility (more so than red or yellow/amber) but IMHO goes against the intent of the requirement to have red light only at the back of a vehicle.

I have it on the sides of my topbox, but none on the back.

Many vehicles (IIRC including some LE vehicles) have the red/white banded reflective tape on the rear. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for adding reflectors of any kind.

Aren't licence plates white reflective with blue lettering?
They are :) but this by itself is not a proof that anything white reflective should be allowed. Just like a blinking red rear turn signal does not mean you are allowed to operate a blinking red all the time.

I agree that there are many sensible arguments on why a white reflector should be allowed. I merely wanted to see if anyone ran into a situation that proved otherwise.

Much appreciate everyone's comments.

Have it on the back of my helmet. Never an issue. Riding jacket also has stripe! Big deal.... no

Not a light, therefore should meet the intent of the law.

All my jackets have some sort of white reflection

The number one reason drivers use for running into riders is "I didn't see him".
I rarely ride at night for just this reason, but I have yards of tape on the back of the motorcycle just in case.
Never a problem.

I have a 1 1/2" strip of that tape that wraps the side and back of my top box. Never had any problems with it.

The number one reason drivers use for running into riders is "I didn't see him".
I rarely ride at night for just this reason, but I have yards of tape on the back of the motorcycle just in case.
Never a problem.

I have a feeling you'd be more visible cuz all you see is lights on the vehicle...in the dark that's really noticeable as opposed to all the things one has to 'see' in the daylight surrounding you. (you blend)

just a random thought is all...

Back
Top Bottom