Post your Return/Exchange Policy Nightmare Stories! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Post your Return/Exchange Policy Nightmare Stories!

Paulee

Dealt with an exchange at a store today that shall remain nameless (for now) that turned out to be exactly what the title says.

Long story short, I went in to size up on a jacket I purchased 3 days ago(still brand new). I was told by the employee at the front desk the owner had to give him approval in order to exchange it. I was assured he would be back in a few minutes. I was also told I could leave the jacket there If I had somewhere to go and they would call me later when the owner had looked at it. I let the employee know I didnt want to ride without my jacket for obvious safety reasons. 25 minutes pass and I ask if he can call the owner for an eta, owner gives eta of another 15 mins. Employee again tells me I can leave the jacket there if I couldnt wait, this time with attitude. The owner finally arrives and gives the jacket a 1 over. He tells me he can exchange it but I'd have to pay a %15 restocking fee. After asking him how much that fee would total he goes "Well just give me $50, Il do $50". I reluctantly agree so he passes the new jacket to the employee and tells him to charge me a $50 restocking fee with tax on top to which the employee responded "Good". I walk out with the new jacket and make a mental note along with this thread to never go back.

/End Rant

Anyone else have any exchange or return policy nightmare stories?
Post them up if you do!

Last edited:
Thankfully none that immediately come to mind. I can say if I did have an experience like yours I would not be going back as they obviously don't care for your business. I also wouldn't be shy about telling others of how they conduct business.

Dealt with an exchange at a store today that shall remain nameless (for now) that turned out to be exactly what the title says.

Long story short, I went in to size up on a jacket I purchased 3 days ago(still brand new). I was told by the employee at the front desk the owner had to give him approval in order to exchange it. I was assured he would be back in a few minutes. I was also told I could leave the jacket there If I had somewhere to go and they would call me later when the owner had looked at it. I let the employee know I didnt want to ride without my jacket for obvious safety reasons. 25 minutes pass and I ask if he can call the owner for an eta, owner gives eta of another 15 mins. Employee again tells me I can leave the jacket there if I couldnt wait, this time with attitude. The owner finally arrives and gives the jacket a 1 over. He tells me he can exchange it but I'd have to pay a %15 restocking fee. After asking him how much that fee would total he goes "Well just give me $50, Il do $50". I reluctantly agree so he passes the new jacket to the employee and tells him to charge me a $50 restocking fee with tax on top to which the employee responded "Good". I walk out with the new jacket and make a mental note along with this thread to never go back.

/End Rant

Post them up if you do!

Does the shop have anything in the way of a return / exchange policy clearly outlined and posted?

Does the shop have anything in the way of a return / exchange policy clearly outlined and posted?

Being as hard as it is for local Brick and Mortar stores to stay in business these days, a little flexiblity with a return policy (whatever it may be) is nothing if It means earning a life-long loyal customer.

Last edited:
That was going to be my point.

If there was no policy clearly defined then screw them, and even if there was, if it was in fact only 3 days after purchase and the jacket was still in mint condition then there should be 0 hassle.

Brick and mortar shops can not afford to alienate customers anymore.

I also can't ****ing stand these stores that charge a "re-stocking" fee.

...I'm not paying a 10 or 15% penalty because someone had to go put it back on a shelf in the whse, or hang it back on a hanger.

That was going to be my point.

If there was no policy clearly defined then screw them, and even if there was, if it was in fact only 3 days after purchase and the jacket was still in mint condition then there should be 0 hassle.

Brick and mortar shops can not afford to alienate customers anymore.

I also can't ****ing stand these stores that charge a "re-stocking" fee.

...I'm not paying a 10 or 15% penalty because someone had to go put it back on a shelf in the whse, or hang it back on a hanger.

And they charged me tax on the 15% restocking fee which made the whole ordeal almost comical

/End Rant

Post them up if you do!

So you wore this "new" coat to the shop to return it? Personally I don't know any shops that would let someone return a coat they saw you ride in with.

Im just gonna guess GP bikes because I hate them from previous experience, more so with the service center than the apparel but still.

Future Shop was really bad when they first opened as was Canada computers.
Then again, I knew people who would return stuff to Costco every six months to upgrade it.

Not sure I want a jacket that smells like your pits, even at $50 off.

Last edited:
So you wore this "new" coat to the shop to return it? Personally I don't know any shops that would let someone return a coat they saw you ride in with.

Nope, I wore my leather to work, the shop happens to be down the street so I left my leather at work and rode literally 2 blocks away in a T-shirt with the new jacket in my backpack. I didnt want to communte home without any jacket because thats about 45 mins away

Future Shop was really bad when they first opened as was Canada computers.
Then again, I knew people who would return stuff to Costco every six months to upgrade it.

Not sure I want a jacket that smells like your pits, even at $50 off.

Even if that was the case which its not, do you think department stores wash the clothes after theyve been tried on for the 100th time... they spray a little perfume on it and keep it moving.

There must be something more to this. Maybe this shop is in financial trouble and they are scraping for every last dime.

Or maybe they need to learn a hard lesson in customer service/loyalty.

As a service to this motorcycle community, it would be helpful to know who did this to you. I personally do not need to unknowingly give $ to this shop.

I don't know.....you bought the jacket in the store I assume, so you tried it on and sized before you bought it. Three days later you decide its not the right size? Why? Did you ride with it for one or two days? To figure out you needed a different size you must have worn it while doing something different then when you tried it on in the store. Riding with it on I also assume. The makes it 'used', not 'new'.

/End Rant

Post them up if you do!

Buddy why did I waste my time reading your story if you are not going to say what weasel shop is this? So you are going to allow other people to go there and get the same treatment?

Back
Top Bottom