Post your Return/Exchange Policy Nightmare Stories! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Post your Return/Exchange Policy Nightmare Stories!

Or maybe when I tried it on originally I wasnt wearing my riding pants so when I got home and zipped the jacket to my pants, the strain on my neck from the front of the jacket was more than I accounted for... sometimes its as simple as that and not full of devious evil lol

Well then maybe you should have bought the pants you planned to wear with them, into the store to try on....Just an idea, unless you like riding back and forth to and from the store

I am not a fan of getting returned items, especially clothing. The stores that take returns so easily get annoying because everything in stock ends up being previously opened or previously worn.

A jacket isn't the worst thing to get previously worn, but personally I would not want to pay full price for an returned clothing item...

The return policy should have been clear before the purchase thou, posted somewhere in the store or even on the receipt itself.....I wouldn't like a made up fee either if that was truly the case

Last edited:
Well then maybe you should have bought the pants you planned to wear with them, into the store to try on....Just an idea, unless you like riding back and forth to and from the store

I am not a fan of getting returned items, especially clothing. The stores that take returns so easily get annoying because everything in stock ends up being previously opened or previously worn.

A jacket isn't the worst thing to get previously worn, but personally I would not want to pay full price for an returned clothing item...

The return policy should have been clear before the purchase thou, posted somewhere in the store or even on the receipt itself.....I wouldn't like a made up fee either if that was truly the case

edit

They supply something that was underutilized in this case, the ability to try it on for size, before you buy it.

That's why it would seem highly suspicious to the shop owner.

Guy goes in tries something on, it fits. Gets it home, and tries it on 3 days later, it doesn't fit, so brings it back?

Say someone took it home and swapped the better armour out for their old used armour.
Say they messed up the zipper, pulled a thread, tore the liner, screwed up something hidden from view, etc. etc.

Should the store owner now take on that risk.
Buyer may have spent hours, and hours trying it on in the store, without penalty. They had that opportunity.

That's where my mixed feelings come from on this.

So everything you've ever purchased you've been 100% happy with and never needed to return?

People do leave and go back to the quiet of their home and second guess the fit, I know I have, more than once. ANY good retail/online MC store suggests trying it on at home before riding.

I had a great experience at GP Bikes, picked up a helmet and jacket from a lady who spent over 2 hours with us ensuring I was happy, even then she said "go home, wear it some more, if you aren't happy bring it back, things change once you get home and sit down" . (I'm 1.5 hours away from GP, so they aren't a frequent trip unfortunately)

Additionally, for shops that don't want to ensure we are completely satisfied with our $600 jacket, I can order ANYTHING from FortNine and return it within 30 days and all it costs is $7 return shipping, no restocking fee. Using that model, they've just lost money in order to keep a customer happy. While I didn't end up getting my jacket from them in the end, the ability to send multiple items back without a hassle and quick refund earned my business going forward. They have fair prices and quick shipping, if they stock what I'm looking for, I'll get it from them as they treat me as a true customer, not a piggy bank.

Local shops need to realize this isn't the monopoly game of the old days where there are 3 bike shops in town, all charge $700 for a set of tires while acting like they you owe them for giving you the time of day. The older, more loyal crowd will eventually stop riding, and the generation that aren't afraid to shop online will take over if they aren't given a reason to frequent B&M stores. I'm sure at that time we will see the same shops shops crying "we don't know how this happened, business just isn't what it use to be".

Already happened. Cycle World, McBrides, etc. The big players are gone. Only the mid to small ones left. Or the crap ones that took over a name and location.

Cycle World and McBride's seemed ensnared in other problems, though. Honda did not help things with their Powerhouse garbage, but it wasn't the only factor. I'm pretty sure CWW still saw a lot of traffic up to the day it closed (and then even more traffic for the contents auction)

The key downside to online shopping is that it can take sales volume away from dealers and shops that count on accessory sales to stay in business. For a GTA of about 6.5M people we have an incredibly small number of bike dealers and independent shops. This is perhaps not too much of a concern for the purchase of a jacket or a helmet, but if you need bike maintenance or repairs on you are unable to do yourself you have pretty limited options now and it's likely to get worse.

In spite of the 75 or 80 cent dollar I will still purchase OEM oil filters for $10US vs. $26 CAN. All OEM parts are about half price net vs. CAN sourced ones. Tires are virtually the same net price now and Fortnine or Pete's have great deals. Other accessories, you have to check line by line. Fortnine has a great returns policy. BTW, online retailers across the board say, in general, that returns are a huge hassle and very expensive to manage.

Being that I work in this industry and am the person who runs the clothing department of a shop, just keep in mind that online is not always the cheapest. There are Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP) policies that everyone in Canada has to follow. Most of the time you can only advertise 10% off MSRP, and that's all an online site can do. When you visit a brick and mortar store, they might actually have those same items for 20% or more off. Where I work we have all bike jackets 35% off right now, and they are current product that you won't find for those prices online anywhere. Just a thought.

Also, if it is a specially ordered in clothing item that isn't normally stocked, the shop will get charged a 10-20% restocking fee by the distributor to send it back, so that could also be why you get charged a fee. Typically we just eat it and try to sell it to someone else at a discount later on.

Also, it's not the shop I work at that was mentioned. So I'm not here to defend it or anything, just adding some perspective to the conversation.

MAP also runs for oils and accessories as well, so don't just assume online is cheapest.

Last edited:
I know who this is (West end) but agree with the owner given you wore the jacket.

There is a massive industry for disposal of returned products and retailer just dispose rather than trying to resell questionable items that people return. It is astounding what people return at Costco and other retailers, and as consumers we end up paying as someone has to pay for this miss use.

His restocking fee is to discourage this as he most likely will put that jacket on a sales rack.

You now have to be very careful when you purchase anything as everyone goes through boxes to make certain that all the stuff is in and then proceeds to take the sealed one beside it.

Id rather see if someone guesses before I do

or you get one that you thought was sealed, open it and see one of the inside packages opened and a bit less than the other sealed one, look really really close and see 2 layers of tape on the outside box. Costco, but hopefully the returner did it and not Costco staff.

So you want an exchange story? I go to as Burlington dealer at lunchtime to walk the lot. I get talking to a saleslady and we cut a deal on a Jeep JK. The reception tells the saleslady "you cant sell that jeep, its not ours" . She poopoos her and we write up the deal and I give her $1000 deposit on my MC. It was wednesday at lunch, written in the deal is , I am picking this vehicle up on Friday noon for a weekend trip. On friday am she calls me and says, well, we have been trying for a day and a half to get title on the jeep. The delivery truck dropped it here, its supposed to be for a different dealer, we sold it but its not actually ours. I say, so as per the sales contract, I dont get it in one hr (noon) as we agreed , for my prearranged jeep trip? nope. So screw that, give me my $1000 back and I move on. nope. The sales manager says you cant get out of the deal. You sold me a car you dont own , and somehow this is my fault? yup. So we go three rounds, I say sit still I'll be there in 20 mins, by coincidence I was meeting my lawyer for lunch, he was coming on my jeep/fishing trip. 1hr later I was driving out in a different jeep, much better equipped, exchanged for the same price.

I will never visit that dealer again, I would never let them touch even warranty work and I could never give them any reference. They may be the greasiest bags I ever dealt with, and I've met some real peaches in the auto industry.

Does this mean you have a store? Which would be awesome, by the way. Or did I misunderstand the wording?

Being that I work in this industry and am the person who runs the clothing department of a shop, just keep in mind that online is not always the cheapest.

This was frequently the case when Parker Bros. was still around. Not 100% of the time, but enough. I remember scoring a GIVI topcase there for *less* than the best online price I could find. Still not sure how they did it, but it continues to see daily duty on my scooter.

Nope, I wore my leather to work, the shop happens to be down the street so I left my leather at work and rode literally 2 blocks away in a T-shirt with the new jacket in my backpack. I didnt want to communte home without any jacket because thats about 45 mins away

do you work in whitby?

Back
Top Bottom