WAZE and other maps | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

WAZE and other maps

Waze - Very useful in the GTA or other places where the network is available. Not really a Nav tool IMNSHO

I prefer to always have offline maps, and I found googles beta 'offline' rollout disappointing to say the least, so on my droid I switched to OSMAnd and couldn't be happier, until I switched to the iPhone (long story involving a concrete floor and an loaner from a nephew) and found that OSMAnd doesn't route on an iPhone but provides great detail while sitting in a tent planning out the next section.

I have to say that I prefer a dedicated gps for that function, even a crappy old one like the Garmin 60cx I run.

I can't stand dedicated GPS's anymore because most lack traffic data. Even using Google Maps one can leave it zoomed out enough to see major traffic disruptions ahead by the change in road colours.

We do have an older Magellan GPS that says it has traffic functions but it usually only works in big cities, and it's proven to be very slow to update so we got caught in traffic in the past before it even told us it was there. Once you stray outside the big city signal areas for the traffic data, they are basically running blind.

I can't stand dedicated GPS's anymore because most lack traffic data. Even using Google Maps one can leave it zoomed out enough to see major traffic disruptions ahead by the change in road colours.

We do have an older Magellan GPS that says it has traffic functions but it usually only works in big cities, and it's proven to be very slow to update so we got caught in traffic in the past before it even told us it was there. Once you stray outside the big city signal areas for the traffic data, they are basically running blind.

The OP wanted to know if Waze in particular could follow a custom route such as a ore planned gpx file or similar. It devolved in traffic discussions. :D

For the record my old school GPS doesn't do traffic, but it will follow a track, and if you:

Plot a route in google maps using the 'my maps' feature and export to KML

Use Gpsvisualizer to then convert to a track and save in gpx format

You can load the gpx file to a device of your choice.

What app will load the gpx and waypoints from the file and let you route accordingly on an iPhone that he plans to use as his source?

My assumption is that it must have offline maps for touring but I could be wrong.

Modern Nav devices should have traffic, my BMW Nav V connects to my phone and gives me traffic and weather and options to avoid. A recent trip out to Colorado and Utah the Nav with traffic saved me over 3 hours routing around traffic in some large cities I was passing through.

Googlemaps is not an offline nav program. AFAIK there is no import to GoogleMaps tho you might be able to email the short form map.

The google offline maps only got introduced this year. Once i email the link to myself and launch it on my phone, it asks me if I want to download the route for use offline. I still keep OsmAnd installed as a back up and have had to use it from time to time.

I have also found that Google maps have the most accurate ETA times if that's important for you.

I used google maps offline for navigating around the Catskills this past weekend in the car. Worked fine but I wasn't doing anything technical.

I use Google maps on my Samsung. I plan routes, save them, email them to my computer, use them offline etc. I do it all on my phone. I hate using the wife's laptop, I'm always swiping the screen and she's always laughing at me.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I create my route on google maps and then enter the way points on Copilot GPS. I have used it in Pennsylvania, Ontario and Portugal and Spain
I have been playing with different apps available out there for motorcycle specific route planning. I have tried using maps that comes with my mac and iPhone but have issues with waypoint and customizing. Google maps is the best so far I found for customizing but I can not get the route to transfer over to my iPhone to use on the bike so I print it and go old school. I have watched different reviews and read articles on different apps out there and they all seem to be garbage.

So my question is what do you guys use out on the road and what you have had the best success with? Waze seems to be another favourite out there I haven't tried it but have heard that your location services is on all the time whether the app is open or closed. Is this true?

OsmAnd on android will route and record/import gpx files, but it won't route on an iPhone.

Maps.me will do offline routing on an iPhone, but I'm uncertain as to record/import gpx files. Doubtful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use maps.me and have no problem importing a gpx that i exported from my comp on google

Back
Top Bottom