WAZE and other maps | GTAMotorcycle.com

WAZE and other maps

I have been playing with different apps available out there for motorcycle specific route planning. I have tried using maps that comes with my mac and iPhone but have issues with waypoint and customizing. Google maps is the best so far I found for customizing but I can not get the route to transfer over to my iPhone to use on the bike so I print it and go old school. I have watched different reviews and read articles on different apps out there and they all seem to be garbage.

So my question is what do you guys use out on the road and what you have had the best success with? Waze seems to be another favourite out there I haven't tried it but have heard that your location services is on all the time whether the app is open or closed. Is this true?

Waze is good for traffic. That's what I use it for. Otherwise gmaps is my go to.

I plot my route on Google maps on a computer. I email a link of the route to myself and pull it up on my phone. Google maps now allows you to download your route in case you travel to areas with no coverage. Only problem i found is that if I accidentally close the app half way thru the ride, it wants to direct me back to the first way point once I relaunch the app. When this happens, I just enter once destination at a time from my memory of the route. There are many options out there, OsmAnd is one of them which has offline maps. I use this as a back up for when I'm out of cell coverage area.

Cool google seems to be the fan favourite and my go to. I will try your tip of emailing the link to myself. Thanks

Not for no network use. There are many others
Co-Pilot is one, some free, some for pay ...no network needed.

•••

regional paper maps.
To use a map you need to know where you are...

For serious planning Furkot is the ticket and then it can send routes to any number of GPS formats - it also has thousands of existing motorcycle routes.

If you search on Furkot on this forum there are a number of threads.

I use TomTom for offline mainly because of Winding Roads...it finds the best twists for me. ;.....I love surprises. I think some of the other apps are now offering Curvy Roads as a similar feature.

Last edited:
OsmAnd on android will route and record/import gpx files, but it won't route on an iPhone.

Maps.me will do offline routing on an iPhone, but I'm uncertain as to record/import gpx files. Doubtful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyre for me. Uses the Google maps interface and so routes are really easy to manipulate. Saves directly to either Garmin or TomTom. And it's free. Never had a problem with it and also great for planning multi day trips. Always have paper maps as a backup.

Tyre seems to be really pushing MyRoute-app now, which looks like it might be all online.

Maybe they can monetize the routes?

I'm sure that Google, Garmin, TomTom, etc. do, if it's possible.

Tyre for me. Uses the Google maps interface and so routes are really easy to manipulate. Saves directly to either Garmin or TomTom. And it's free. Never had a problem with it and also great for planning multi day trips. Always have paper maps as a backup.

Is there an app for iPhone? I found mention of the My Route app but nothing else.

I use HereWeGo maps. I download all the maps of Ontario so I can use them offline. I've tried a few others, didn't like them. I usually have my phone in my pocket with sound isolating headphones in my ears, so I can hear the British lady's instructions perfectly! Sometimes I'll put my phone in the mount and zoom out a bit if I'm in unfamiliar territory so I can see my turn long in advance

Google Maps can operate offline, you just download the map areas.

As for customizing a route in Google Maps, simply add more stops - adding an enroute town on the way you'd rather go (vs the way it's routing initially) accomplishes the goal in the end.

I use Waze religiously for work when I need to get from A to B in the fastest way possible whilst avoiding traffic, but I don't like the interface (for multi-point routing as above) as much, so I tend to avoid it while riding...again, unless I'm looking to get from A to B as fast as physically possible. I do pay attention to the traffic reports in Google Maps however while riding, although it won't automatically route around like Waze does.

I have had zero luck getting Waze to navigate ... at all. The interface has cryptic symbols that are gibberish to this old codger. How do you enter an address and tell it to "go"? I've gotten frustrated with it before getting that far and ended up using the mapping software built into my blackberry ... which functions, but doesn't do traffic.

Hit the magnifying glass in the bottom left corner, enter address in search window, hit "Go now".

And then actually follow it. The biggest mistake some people make with Waze and not maximizing it's abilities to route one around traffic is simply not following it's directions.

I have had zero luck getting Waze to navigate ... at all. The interface has cryptic symbols that are gibberish to this old codger. How do you enter an address and tell it to "go"? I've gotten frustrated with it before getting that far and ended up using the mapping software built into my blackberry ... which functions, but doesn't do traffic.

I say do persevere. Waze is a game-changer when driving in the GTA.

Sounds like the Blackberry version might be different than the stock Android/iOS versions, but normally you just hit the magnifying glass at the bottom left then type in your address.

Waze address input is pretty simple with iPhone app.

I can just put in the name of a business and city and it will pull up a list, pick the one I want, boom!

I like the road alerts for speed traps, the routing for congestion is excellent, I've doubts some suggestions but followed them and ended up right where I needed to be.

Before waze, I'd stick out my route and end up taking more time.

Wonder if it doesn't work as well for other devices/apps?

I don't use it while riding.

Last edited:
Waze tried desperately to route me round non existent traffic today in the US. It's usually pretty good though.

Waze tried desperately to route me round non existent traffic today in the US. It's usually pretty good though.

Sometimes traffic that clears quickly takes a while to clear in the app, or alternately there are idiots out there who will input false reports of road closures and such that screw up the crowdsource data.

99.9% of the time though it's on point.

Back
Top Bottom