Off leash dogs running around | GTAMotorcycle.com

Off leash dogs running around

LiNK666

Hi all,

Need some advice. Just moved to East brampton last year. I don't know why but a lot of owners here don't put their dogs on a leash. My dog doesn't like it when other dogs run up to her. She gets aggressive then. Especially dogs smaller than her. I'm tired of it. I don't care of it alienates my relationship with neighbours, I just want people to keep their dogs on a leash.

I make sure my dog stays on leash no matter what.

Today I had some lady blast off on me because her dog (off leash) ran upto my dog and they got into a fight. After I warned them my dog doesn't like smaller dogs. My dog is hyper but not aggressive and never bites unless she feels threatened. She said I need to keep my dog muzzled.

It's not just one person but several over here.

Please advise what I can do.

People let small dogs run around in public off leash? Sounds like a great way for them to get run over

And I dunno, I side with you on this one. In fact pretty much every other dog owner I have run into while walking the dog has a) had their dog on a leash and b) shown healthy respect for other dogs

Except in leash free areas, dogs should be on a leash in public areas. If this is happening on the street and only to other dogs, it's their fault not yours. If it starts happening with children/people, the onus falls on you to muzzle/restrain your dog.

Things you can do:
Call a bylaw officer to come and give warnings to dog owners in your park/area. Pretty soon people will start keeping their dogs on a leash to avoid tickets. By law officers may be able to put the park.area on their regular inspection rotation.

Call you local Councillor and ask if a leash free area can be set up in the park closest to you.

Good lick!

Almost as bad, one time a woman's little yappy dog on a long leash (10-12feet) ran up to get in my dog's face. My dog does react, but I will always keep her under a short leash in those situations and will direct her away from the other dog. This women did nothing, just walked along with a vapid look on her face and because of the long leash, her dog would've been close enough to get in a scrap if I didn't assertively direct my dog even further away. Every other dog owner in my neighbourhood's pretty good and will respect space and act to avoid close confrontations.

Sister's dog got attacked when he was young, now he doesn't like other dogs, and can't run in the off leash park that's set up in the neighborhood.
He's a King Doberman, so any little dogs that run up to him look snack sized.

Had my dad's dog up in the off leash park. New guy thinks its funny that his dog bites, attacks and tries to mount ours. He's going to find out the hard way when I kick the living snot out of his dog, if my sister doesn't call the bylaw on him first.

I would politely ask them to keep their dogs under control first. Then politely tell them you're going to kick the living snot out of their dog if it comes after you or your dog.

or just get animal control involved.

We tell people our dogs are aggressive and that they should put their dogs on a leash to avoid accidents. Usually works well. Tell the woman that asked for the muzzle that there's no issue if other dogs are leashed as they should be.

How dumb are people? Our dog spends a decent amount of time on walks off leash (he easily covers double the distance we do this way) in areas that are technically leash required but the majority of dogs are off leash. If I see another dog on leash, he gets called back and hooked up. If you feel that your dog needs to be leashed, mine shouldn't get in its face. Hell, for off leash dogs he hasn't met before he gets called back and hooked up until we have a quick chat with the other owner.

I used to have trouble when riding the waterfront trails in the gta with people that would have a dog roaming around on what amounts to a small highway or they would be on one side with the dog on the other and the retractable leash crossing the trail. They didn't understand why people expressed displeasure at their idiocy.

Some people are just to dumb too own animals and are driving rules to change from "off leash" to "on leash" to "on a non-retractable 6' or less leash". Some of the bylaws even specify that a person of adequate size and authority has to be holding the leash as lots of people leave the leash hooked on while the dog runs free or have a 5 year old with a 100 lb dog.

Next time a useless dog owner wants to cause you problems, just let them know that you would be happy to exchange contact information and have a chat with animal control/bylaw. Their self-righteousness will not knocked down a peg or two when they get a $250 ticket.

The wankers in society are leading to having a camera recording at all times so you can ensure that the self-entitled pricks of the world get legal/financial push back on their bs.

I like the idea of calling city councillor. I cooled down a bit. I don't really want beef with my neighbours. I'll be calling SPCA and city councillor over the week. Hopefully I can get some direction from them.

If not, I'm going to get it on camera. Starting posting on youtube. I think it's time to mount a gopro on my dog lol

why not just speak with Animal Services and have them help you out, it's there job and they are more than happy to assist you...

http://www.brampton.ca/en/City-Hall/Bylaws/Pages/Animal-By-laws.aspx

Leashing and "Running At Large"
In Brampton, you must keep all dogs on a leash whenever they are on any property other than your own – unless you are in designated "leash free" areas.

You are responsible for making sure that your dogs do not "run at large". A dog "running at large" means that it is unleashed, off its owner's property and not under its owner's control.

Brampton has designated three "leash free" areas. The City encourages you to use these three areas whenever you want to exercise your dog off its leash.

Animal Services staff may pick up any dog running at large and keep it at the animal shelter. If you allow your dogs to stray at large or off leash in undesignated areas, you could be fined as much as $5,000 for each offense.

Animal by-laws
By-law 250-2005 pertaining to dogs including pit-bulls.
By-law 261-93 pertaining to animals other than dogs

and if your in Brampton you can call 311 and ask to speak with Animal Services

Dogs off leash are breaking the law.

Reminds me of a little runt dog once come charging to my German shepherd, twice it's size. I was probably 16 at the time & these dogs were bred to protect their owners. It stood there just barking at us then it decided to charge, Big ol' George snapped at him & the thing just whimpered & ran away. I got a good chuckle out of that.

Let me tell you about George, he was the biggest shepherd we had own, not only was he big, but built. From the previous owner, he spent his time running around alot while he was growing up. He never used to pay attention to smaller dogs but he was always ready to exert dominance on larger dogs. I remember people used to be intimidated by him but he was very friendly when he was out of his territorial zone

Thought thread would be about dogs chasing bikes

Happened to me just a few weeks ago. Was riding my bicycle on a popular trail for pedestrians and cyclists.

Out of nowhere came a small yappy dog. I was about to kick it, but stopped short of getting within range.

The owner freaked out that their dog ran towards me, but I don't understand she did not think this was going to happen. Oh well. Lucky dog in this case i guess.

Dogs off leash are breaking the law.

Reminds me of a little runt dog once come charging to my German shepherd, twice it's size. I was probably 16 at the time & these dogs were bred to protect their owners. It stood there just barking at us then it decided to charge, Big ol' George snapped at him & the thing just whimpered & ran away. I got a good chuckle out of that.

Let me tell you about George, he was the biggest shepherd we had own, not only was he big, but built. From the previous owner, he spent his time running around alot while he was growing up. He never used to pay attention to smaller dogs but he was always ready to exert dominance on larger dogs. I remember people used to be intimidated by him but he was very friendly when he was out of his territorial zone

same thing happened with a shepherd/husky/collie cross we had 16 years back when we lived in an apartment complex. We were walking around one evening with him on leash, he would walk with us off leash in off leash areas but this area required a leash. Someone on the ground floor opened their door and let their yapping mop out and it made a line straight for us leaping at us at the last moment. Lexx caught it in midair and tossed it away. I don't know if the dog was injured but it went straight back to it's apartment. Never heard boo from the owners.

One of the trails I ride on. The Trans Canada trail. Starting at Mississauga road. Ending up in Palgrave. Practically all the owners have their dogs off leash. However, I give them plenty of warning I am coming. they hold their dog. Never had a problem.
I remember many years ago I was walking my friends dog. This fellow came up to me and said, "Does your dog bite? " I said no. To which he bent down to pat the dog. Which promptly bit him. He told me you said your dog did not bit. I replied, it`s not my dog.
Couldn`t resist that.

Not to try to transfer blame, they are at fault, but many dogs will be more defensive when on a leash than when loose. If your dog will stick around, try letting him be off-leash and the dogs may play. I live in the country so it's not a big deal; my dog plays with the huskies down the road regularly, but when they get leashed to run with the owner it's a totally different dynamic.

One of the trails I ride on. The Trans Canada trail. Starting at Mississauga road. Ending up in Palgrave. Practically all the owners have their dogs off leash. However, I give them plenty of warning I am coming. they hold their dog. Never had a problem.
I remember many years ago I was walking my friends dog. This fellow came up to me and said, "Does your dog bite? " I said no. To which he bent down to pat the dog. Which promptly bit him. He told me you said your dog did not bit. I replied, it`s not my dog.
Couldn`t resist that.
Seen it
[video=youtube_share;C59-wJhBpq8]http://youtu.be/C59-wJhBpq8[/video]

Couldn`t resist that.
That's mean :)

Most smart dogs do not bite without warning. My family has had about 4 generation of dogs. But then again, not all breeds are equal.

Op. You don't have to defend yourself or dog. No muzzle.

If your dog chomps on another that approaches off leash, it's on them.

It's a hassle to deal with and sort things out and of course the issue of your dog possibly becoming aggressive to others in the future.

I've trained my dogs to sit and stay and I stand in front of them before another dog approaches.

Often the owner is too far away to have a conversation before our dogs meet.

So I will meet the dog first. And I will hold its collar and gain control of the animal before I allow it to meet my dog(s).

I always get the owner saying their dog is friendly and blah blah blah. But even my young boxer that is super friendly has been aggressive towards a strange dog at times.

The owners might not like me touching their dog by the collar etc but, they are not leashed. I'm establishing how the dogs will meet and who is the alpha.

I see if daily people tugging on leashes and collars and it actually puts the dog in an alert mode. Having tension on the leash and trying to keep it away from an unleashed dog and they can get aggressive.

So try to recognize what is about to happen. Have them sit and stay. And you take charge of greeting the approaching animal first.

If the owner gets bent because of what you did, too bad.

Even in off leash parks, I can call my pups from a group if trouble creeps up.

Can't prevent every occurrence but, just do your best. Ignore those ignorant owners that think everyone else should muzzle their dogs so they can run around without a leash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom