stiff gloves | GTAMotorcycle.com

stiff gloves

JP0160

I've got these nice leather gauntlet gloves that I've been wearing the past 10k. They're starting to get a little stiff after I leave them overnight. My last pair of leather gloves did this and I ruined them when I washed them (my fault, too rigorous and too strong a detergent). Whats the proper way to get these soft and clean again?

Leather conditioner. I've used both a baseball glove conditioner and a leather shoe conditioner with good success.

Just apply to the outside, rub it in with your hands, let it soak for a bit then wipe of the excess.

I LOVE my AplineStar gloves and sidi gloves. they take about a month to break in - but feel so nice after.

The reason why tanneries smelled so bad is that they used animal urine to soften leather to break down the stiff collagen fibers. Now urine has a high concentration of ammonia and am told that subbing that with some water (no idea on concentration) may work.

And if you decide to use urine, just make sure you wash thoroughly before we shake hands.:D

Go to a tack (horse supply) shop like Greenhawk and ask for mink oil - it comes in small containers as a paste. The stuff is magic on leather and is commonly used for saddles to soften and protect them against moisture.

Use it VERY sparingly and make sure to work it in really good so your hands are not slippery on the controls.

Works great on pleather/vinyl as well.

The reason why tanneries smelled so bad is that they used animal urine to soften leather to break down the stiff collagen fibers. Now urine has a high concentration of ammonia and am told that subbing that with some water (no idea on concentration) may work.

And if you decide to use urine, just make sure you wash thoroughly before we shake hands.:D
Fun fact: (may be untrue, but I like it)
The term "so poor we didn't have a pot to piss in" came from this.
People would urinate into a pot and it was purchased by people to soften leather.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

AFAIK yer right.
"PISS POOR" - They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in the same pot to collect as much urine as possible. Why? Because once a day, someone from the family took the pot to the tannery and sold the urine. If a family had to do this to survive financially, they were called "Piss poor."

"DIDN'T HAVE A POT TO PISS IN" - Worse than the above were some people who were too poor to buy even the pot to collect their urine. And so they were the poorest and lowest of the low.

Find a leather safe lube for wanking, then just wear your gloves. Remember to switch hands.

I use Fiebing's Aussie Leather Conditioner. Seems to work fine. Use it on all my other gear, too. GF doesn't like it because it is waxy and can make your leather a bit sticky if you put too much on or don't get the excess wax off. Doesn't bother me.

Find a leather safe lube for wanking, then just wear your gloves. Remember to switch hands.
Lol

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Chamber pots were used before indoor plumbing became available. Pots were stored under the bed.
Who'd want to run to the outhouse in the middle of the night with no lights?
Not sure who would have bought them though, collectors maybe?

I'd try the Tack shop idea over that. Bickle used to use Fiebing's I believe, but watch you don't get something that has a tint in it.

Chamber pots were used before indoor plumbing became available. Pots were stored under the bed.
Who'd want to run to the outhouse in the middle of the night with no lights?
Not sure who would have bought them though, collectors maybe?

I'd try the Tack shop idea over that. Bickle used to use Fiebing's I believe, but watch you don't get something that has a tint in it.

Tandy Leather for Fiebings in Mississauga.Best stuff out there.

Go to a tack (horse supply) shop like Greenhawk and ask for mink oil - it comes in small containers as a paste. The stuff is magic on leather and is commonly used for saddles to soften and protect them against moisture.

Use it VERY sparingly and make sure to work it in really good so your hands are not slippery on the controls.

Works great on pleather/vinyl as well.
Have you tried "leather new" ? Also available at tack shops. Curious which is better.

Neatsfoot oil. Available at Tandy Leather (Tomken and Matheson, Miss.). You won't find a better product for softening and conditioning leather.

Tandy Leather for Fiebings in Mississauga.Best stuff out there.

I agree 100%. The Fiebings Aussie leather conditioner works wonders....but I can't stand the smell :S You can use this on white leather also as it doesn't have any tint.

As John Bickle says...."if you can't put it on your skin,don't put it on your leathers".

Back
Top Bottom