For all the euro/harley bike riders | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

For all the euro/harley bike riders

Interesting, why did you buy the monster?
Apart from the history and prestige?

Its hard to believe it would have a better engine than the fz 09

In terms of performance what drew you to it?
And in your estimation how would it compare to the fz 09?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

For starters, the way it looked was the biggest factor. I just think the Monster is a beautiful bike. The FZ09 is pretty as well, and was my second choice. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Performance wise, if I recall correctly, the Yamaha would beat the Ducati in 0-60 time, and quarter mile. But that's never the real story now is it. If I was in it for pure performance alone, I would have purchased the Monster 1200R. When I test rode it though, I felt like I was sitting on a missile. For Me, coming from a background on dirt bikes, the 1200 was WAY overkill. The monster 821 in some respects, feels less refined than the FZ09. There is a ton of tech going on in both bikes, but the Duc sounds meaner, less manners if you will. First time I stood next to it while idling, I compared it to the sound of an old muscle car, with a big old 454 or something. Just loud, rude and aggressive sounding. I like that. The Yamaha has much more manners in that respect. In terms of braking, well, you can't beat a good set of brembos.

I felt more comfortable on the Ducati as well. It just fit me out of the box really well.

I really don't know how to tell people, you'll get it if you ride one, or you won't. There is some nostalgia there for sure, but bikes, for me anyway, come down to look and feel. If you like how it looks, and you feel good on it, than all the other **** means nothing. Performance is nothing unless you're on a track really, and every production bike built for the road these days, will perform adequately out of the box. So numbers are a wash.

For starters, the way it looked was the biggest factor. I just think the Monster is a beautiful bike. The FZ09 is pretty as well, and was my second choice. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Performance wise, if I recall correctly, the Yamaha would beat the Ducati in 0-60 time, and quarter mile. But that's never the real story now is it. If I was in it for pure performance alone, I would have purchased the Monster 1200R. When I test rode it though, I felt like I was sitting on a missile. For Me, coming from a background on dirt bikes, the 1200 was WAY overkill. The monster 821 in some respects, feels less refined than the FZ09. There is a ton of tech going on in both bikes, but the Duc sounds meaner, less manners if you will. First time I stood next to it while idling, I compared it to the sound of an old muscle car, with a big old 454 or something. Just loud, rude and aggressive sounding. I like that. The Yamaha has much more manners in that respect. In terms of braking, well, you can't beat a good set of brembos.

I felt more comfortable on the Ducati as well. It just fit me out of the box really well.

I really don't know how to tell people, you'll get it if you ride one, or you won't. There is some nostalgia there for sure, but bikes, for me anyway, come down to look and feel. If you like how it looks, and you feel good on it, than all the other **** means nothing. Performance is nothing unless you're on a track really, and every production bike built for the road these days, will perform adequately out of the box. So numbers are a wash.

gotcha, so you felt about the ducati the way i felt about the harley lowrider S

Gotta test ride one now...

Its funny though, i never thought in my life i'd hear the words fz 09 and manners in the same sentence, haha, that engine is crazy

Last edited:
Its funny though, i never thought in my life i'd hear the words fz 09 and manners in the same sentence, haha, that engine is crazy

Ride a monster in sport mode, and you'll see what I mean! It has no manners at all. And the 1200R.....you better be hanging on.....tight!!

Not really sure why some people feel the need to play the "my bike is better than your bike" or "you're a sucker for buying bike xyz" game. Who cares what others ride, let your purchasing decisions do the talking. I ride a Ducati and had a Duc before that too. I've also had bikes from the Japanese manufacturers. You want to ride a Honda? Awesome. You like Harleys? Good on you. I'm not riding your bike and I don't care what you're on. My friends who ride HD and who ride Euro makes are happy with their decisions. If they weren't, they'd buy something else next time.

Not really sure why some people feel the need to play the "my bike is better than your bike" or "you're a sucker for buying bike xyz" game. Who cares what others ride, let your purchasing decisions do the talking. I ride a Ducati and had a Duc before that too. I've also had bikes from the Japanese manufacturers. You want to ride a Honda? Awesome. You like Harleys? Good on you. I'm not riding your bike and I don't care what you're on. My friends who ride HD and who ride Euro makes are happy with their decisions. If they weren't, they'd buy something else next time.

It's an insecurity thing.

Back
Top Bottom