Feedback on AM Sales | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Feedback on AM Sales

Thanks for the welcomes!

I may post a new thread to get thoughts on the 2012 harley-davidson Electra Glide Police with 27,000 mil

Still internally debating used vrs new since our season is limited, and I have missed half of it.
Itching to get out and ride, but trying to resist the quick buying urge.

I'm finding it tough to believe that a 5 year old police bike has only 27,000 miles on it.
Either the speedometer has been rolled back (can you still do that ?) or replaced at some point.
Write down the VIN and contact the distributor to see if you can get any more of a history.

Hey All

I should have my M2 by tomorrow! ...

I may post a new thread to get thoughts on the 2012 harley-davidson Electra Glide Police with 27,000 mil

I gather that you are a new rider?

Unless there's something about your motorcycling history that the rest of us don't know - I'd suggest something smaller and lighter first.

I'm finding it tough to believe that a 5 year old police bike has only 27,000 miles on it.
Either the speedometer has been rolled back (can you still do that ?) or replaced at some point.
Write down the VIN and contact the distributor to see if you can get any more of a history.
I don't know, when you look closely at things like the footboards, shifter rubbers, switchgear/controls etc. There is virtually no wear. Some bikes do spend alot of time sitting while the officers do traffic control or other off bike duties. Possible it's original.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

It's quite likely that the bike spent a lot of time in traffic at low speed. Stop and go doesn't put much mileage on it.

Do you have to be LE to buy the police model new? Could a private buyer have bought it from HD?

I have no experience with AM Sales, but I am always leary of dealerships that make their entire living on importing vehicles from out of country. It just seems like there is more opportunity to buy problems you don't know about and aren't used to looking for (eg. flood bike, it lived in arizona and temp has been to the moon, it was a washington state bike and salt mist has gotten everywhere etc).

It wouldn't be my choice for a first bike (mainly due to weight) but to each their own. Welcome OP.

I took a picture of the VIN to see if I get some info on it. May not have the whole VIN though since the cabling was in the way.

I gather that you are a new rider?

Unless there's something about your motorcycling history that the rest of us don't know - I'd suggest something smaller and lighter first.

Yes new rider. There does seem to be two very distinct trains of thought on what to get or how to do this.

For me a bike like this gives me more flexibility to grow as my skill does. I am not buying a bike to putter around my neighbourhood for a few weeks, then say now what. I eventually want to jump on the road go up north, east, west whatever and not have to deal with reselling and starting again.

The other consideration I have is fit, I am 6'2" and mid controls work but not great for me.

But I am weighing in all factors. Plus the dreaded insurance....:(

Last edited:
Yes new rider. There does seem to be two very distinct trains of thought on what to get or how to do this.

For me a bike like this gives me more flexibility to grow as my skill does. I am not buying a bike to putter around my neighbourhood for a few weeks, then say now what. I eventually want to jump on the road go up north, east, west whatever and not have to deal with reselling and starting again.

The other consideration I have is fit, I am 6'2" and mid controls work but not great for me.

But I am weighing in all factors. Plus the dreaded insurance....:(

@JoeBass come back and tell him about your Shadow (did I recall correctly?). Joe has some gravity to him so he didn't buy a tiny bike to start with (although he bought a lot smaller than you are looking).

Don't worry about your first bike being your forever bike (in fact I would discourage this approach for most riders as you don't even know yet what type of riding makes you happy). Switching bikes is easy and doesn't cost that much if done smartly. Some bikes are easy to buy and sell with little change in market value (eg. most 250/500/650 cc bikes). I'm not sure how easy it is to move a US police HD if you decide you want to change it up (it could be easy because it's cool and different or hard because its history is unknown and the OCD crowd that likes HD may not like its patina).

You are correct @GreyGhost. Imho nothing wrong with a 750 - 800 cc cruiser. My Shadow for example is good for around town and then also good for a tour. Keep in mind, as stated, the bike you buy may not end up being what you thought it would be.
I always wanted a bike like my Shadow (and I love it) however, the type of riding that I do, or prefer to do, may have been more suited to a standard style bike.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Plenty go straight to the touring rigs. It's a lot of bike and even a person with the height and weight to manage it, is bound to have it fall.

Big HD require some planing for parking and slow speed maneuvers.

By no means a power house but, even the old models drum up enough torque to get them up to highway speeds fairly reasonable.

Former cop bikes typically have excess switchgear and such while striped of the radio and accessories needed for duty.

Know a few that ride em and enjoy them very much.

I'd rather a civilian model but, to each their own.

My neighbour is a big tall fella and did a couple of seasons on a Honda Shadow and we did some riding together. After a couple of seasons he went bigger and got a Suzuki muscle cruiser. Looks great, sounds great. Just don't know if it's the M109 or not? In any event, for those starting out, still recommend going with something that suits riding preference and affordable insurance and maybe after a couple of seasons, get the big bike.

Ask many of the old school touring riders what they started out on and many will tell stories of small Hondas (300/350 cc) and the like.

Vids of big HD managing hairpin turns around cones in parking lots are available but, honestly they are monsters to move around. Even for the big and tall crowd first starting out.

It's one of the reasons I haven't jump into a touring bike. I've ridden them, know I'll enjoy taking them out on the weekend or road trip. But, I've got limited garage space and like what I've got presently.

It's your ride, you decide but, I'd highly recommend a mid level cruiser set up for your size and enjoy a couple of seasons before taking the leap on a touring HD.

Again, there are plenty of stories of folks going straight to them but, there is also just as many stories of tip overs, repairs, embarrassment, laughs and some injuries. Some remain parked as reminders, etc.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Last edited:
A nearly 900lb bike with a torquey big twin isn't a good starter bike. You will drop it a bunch of times, likely all at slow speed. In that regard, it probably has the engine guards so it won't do big damage, but better to graduate to a bike like this after becoming competent at slow speed through experience and time on a more forgiving bike.

I'm 6'1" and there's no shortage of middle weight cruisers (if you're set on that style) that fit, perform, and (I'm guessing from what you wrote) will tour well.

I ride a Dyna Superglide but I've been taking out a buddy's Electra Glide Limited while he recovers from a badly broken ankle. (I'm such a nice friend!)

The thing is a heavy beast. I would NOT recommend one as your first bike, especially for any riding in the city. I've got almost 40 years experience on many different bikes, but the sheer weight and balance adds a whole other dimension to all the other stuff I'm focusing on while riding. I spend a lot of time worrying about dropping the damn thing at intersections or slow speed riding! Mostly because it's not my bike, but my buddy's dropped it a couple times just doing u-turns or on gravel.

Now, on the highway, at 140 kph, it's a brilliant piece of machinery as that's what it's designed to do. But I would never suggest one as a first bike.

Remember, police bikes are very well maintained. They have one at Pfaff Harley, recently sold. Solo seat and ugly radio rack on the rear. Radio and other equipment not included!

Last edited:
I had a goldwing for one season, 800lbs or so. I had 20 odd years experience when I got it but I can't imagine such a behemoth as a first bike.
I really feel like too many people worry about their image when buying a first bike. There's this huge stigma attached to smaller bikes. I've heard every excuse for wanting to start bigger, none really make sense. "I don't want my skill to outgrow the bike", " I'm a big guy, I don't want to look funny", " I rode a scooter in Mexico once, I know what I'm doing" and so on.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

" I'm a big guy, I don't want to look funny",

At least he is looking towards cruisers. Manufacturers have done a good job making mid-size (650 to 800 cc) cruisers that look very similar to their big brothers. On the sportbike side, many of the recommended starter bikes are physically scaled down which puts off many riders (with the exception of the Hyo 250 which is full size but eats engines like they are going out of style).

Last edited:
Hey all thanks for the feedback so far.

It really is a divide on this topic of starter bikes.

I haven't made up my mind yet. I've been calling around for insurance today. Some of it has been ridiculous (my own car insurer was way out). Others much better then I thought. Also got a better car insurance quote while I was at it =). So my previous company will be dropped.

Will be crunching the numbers and just see what appeals. Then just go out and sit on some bikes to get a feel or what speaks to me.

Middleweight cruisers aren't starter bikes, but they also aren't the worst choices for a first bike. Anything from a Honda 750 to the 1300s are considered middleweight nowadays and would be better than starting with heavyweight tourer that will weigh 150-200lbs more.

went there once...i'm not sure if the guys that work there really know much about bikes at all, or if they're really good at making you think that.

They know zero history on bikes...I noticed a few bikes that had new 'badging' on the tanks, over top the old ones (you could see the old ones painted over and the plastic stick on badges on top, leaving some exposed), and when pointing it out, they're sorta out to lunch, but almost not surprised at the same time.

THey get their bikes from 'everywhere', but again, they don't know much about them. I guess if they know about bikes, and you question them, they're gonna look stupider if you catch them trying to lie. You can't lie if you apparently don't know much or talk much.

Some bikes looked fairly decent visually - I didn't start any up. But some were definitely redone to make pretty.

staff is pretty non existent. So get one, ask what you need, don't expect much, and move on. If you don't know much about bikes, and are looking for 'dealership' level service and afterservice, go somewhere else. This is not for you. Stick to the bigboxbikestores.

Back
Top Bottom