HD mess | GTAMotorcycle.com

HD mess

I for one, refuse to hate a motorcycle or scooter, regardless of brand. Bikes are cool. That's why I'm here, right? If the haters get their way, we'll all be consigned to Uber, or some poorly run government equivalent.

I for one, refuse to hate a motorcycle or scooter, regardless of brand. Bikes are cool. That's why I'm here, right? If the haters get their way, we'll all be consigned to Uber, or some poorly run government equivalent.
Completely agree. I've ridden many different bikes, dirt, cruiser, sport touring, ss, scooter even owned a goldwing. Had a blast on all of them.
Fit and finish on an HD is top notch, they make some beautiful bikes. Just nothing I want currently (or in my budget really).
I occasionally ride with a small group that includes a cbr 125 and a 400 yamaha scooter. I don't care because I ride my bike, although I do tease the cbr 125 girl because the scooter is faster.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Shame

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

They'll shrink but they'll survive. I'll buy another...

I would...if they weren't so goddamn expensive (20k for a lowrider S? jesus)

they're lobbying Trump to put up an import tariff, might just get it too

bike sales in general are down year after year

most dealers outside the large cities have stopped stocking bikes

quads and side by sides are the machines they sell now

I wonder how successful they are getting new riders on board with the Street series of bikes?

I know those were supposed to boost foreign-market presence as well as bring in younger newer riders, but I sure haven't seen any around here.

And they might buy Ducati...

I wonder how successful they are getting new riders on board with the Street series of bikes?

I know those were supposed to boost foreign-market presence as well as bring in younger newer riders, but I sure haven't seen any around here.

the street series(atleast the 500) are supposed to be beginner-ish bikes, they use them to teach the humber MSF course...but at 7-8k thats still a little high IMO for a beginner bike

The problem with HD is their shrinking market share with new riders. They market a lifestyle more so than the bike itself and the newer, younger generation of riders don't care about the specific image as much (or being hipsters, want a cafe ). There are those that will want one because of their dad, grandpa, etc but when you look at HD's image you think middle age rider reliving their youth decked in HD branded leathers.

They have started to try and capture the younger market with the Street series but it still comes down to the image. And yes, other manufacturers (Honda, Kawi, etc) market to certain demographics using lifestyle but since they also make a variety of styles of bikes, they have a much broader ranger to market towards.

Oh, and a 15% increase for the CEO with business declining?!? WTF is that about, where can I get me one of these jobs where if I do poorly I can get paid more?

Harleys are marketed or reputed to be 'character-full' which is latin for big $$$, something new/younger riders lack

shares are down, sales are off, production is reduced. But they have cut a lot of production jobs and amalgamated plants. Nowhere did I see the report on profit. Dont assume since sales are down, and production is off they are not making money.
That could be part of why the CEO got 15% on his base, and if he was looking over the fence 15% to stay is peanuts compared to what the fallout could have been if he left.
There arent as many CEO's to go around as most people think, people are often misinformed of what those guys do.

shares are down, sales are off, production is reduced. But they have cut a lot of production jobs and amalgamated plants. Nowhere did I see the report on profit. Dont assume since sales are down, and production is off they are not making money.
That could be part of why the CEO got 15% on his base, and if he was looking over the fence 15% to stay is peanuts compared to what the fallout could have been if he left.
There arent as many CEO's to go around as most people think, people are often misinformed of what those guys do.

Fair point,

I read somewhere that harleys have a much larger profit margin per bike than most other manufacturers

So even though the shares are down, production is reduced, these might just be cost saving/consolidation measures...

I've read a lot of articles about this in the last few weeks, it seems to come for circle to the fact that increasingly people are questioning the value for money aspect of their purchase and realizing that they can get the same amount of motorcycle for less money with a different brand, and the Harley "cachet" doesn't ring true as much with the younger riders as it does with the older crowd.

Their sales of branded merchandise which also represents a huge portion of their profits is also in the toilet – I guess people are getting tired of $100 T-shirts.

I think its probably because they arent diversified, any downturn in motorcycles hits Harley harder

Honda makes cars, planes, cruisers, ADV, dualsport/dirt bikes, sport bikes, lawn mowers

Kawis makes 4X4s, boats, jet skis, im sure kawasaki heavy industry is into other stuff as well

Yamaha makes musical instruments, and pianos as well, in addition to making different kinds of bikes

Same goes for BMW

Harley only makes motorcycles, and essentially the same kind over and over again(cruisers with V twins)
Kawasaki recently came out with a cruiser, it looks more modern the Vulcan S with a parallel twin

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom