2009 RS125 Swing Arm Pivot Fastening/Adjustment | GTAMotorcycle.com

2009 RS125 Swing Arm Pivot Fastening/Adjustment

unL33T

Just noticed the other day the "ring nut" on my swing arm pivot bolt fell off somewhere. I have the replacement part but I don't quite understand the procedure for installation from the repair manual.

QiUFWFx.png

Is it just me or does it say to tighten everything, then loosen everything, then retighten/retorque? Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

I also don't really understand what the ring nut does as the "bushing" appears to actually hold the pivot bolt in and the ring nut goes onto that but also mates onto the same part so it doesn't look like it's doing much to me.

DSHmYSm.png

Tips? Explanation?

I think that by following procedure you're just insuring all the parts (bushings and bearings) have taken a 'set' and are where they're supposed to be.
Once you do the final retorquing is there a spec for side-to-side movement at the pivot ?

I think that by following procedure you're just insuring all the parts (bushings and bearings) have taken a 'set' and are where they're supposed to be.
Once you do the final retorquing is there a spec for side-to-side movement at the pivot ?
Not that I have seen listed anywhere. It just lists the tightening torque for each part. Although I'm not entirely sure which spec goes with which part.

OEhHoMZ.png

I feel like "Swinging arm pivot fastener" is the swing arm pivot bolt from the left side of the bike (#1 in the service manual image, #2 in the parts diagram).
"Ring nut adjusting bush" would be the inner bushing on the right side (#3 in the service manual, #21 in the parts diagram).
"Swinging arm pivot adjustment" would be the actual ring nut (#2 in the service manual, #6 in the parts diagram). I did find some stuff online saying the ring nut should be tightened to 40 Nm which is pretty close to the 35 Nm spec listed.

I may have those last two mixed up though and not sure if that actually makes sense. Units are Nm.

It seems to me the "ring nut" is used a jam nut to lock the swing arm pivot bolt.

Do you have the tool to turn the "ring nut"?

It seems to me the "ring nut" is used a jam nut to lock the swing arm pivot bolt.

Do you have the tool to turn the "ring nut"?
Hmm that could be the case.

I do not. I'll have to order one. I also noticed the frame is all chewed up around the hole. Maybe the last shop that worked on that didn't have the right tool either and got creative.

If that tool is expensive, making them from a socket isn't hard. Obviously a milling machine is easiest, but a hack saw and/or die grinder can get the job done.

Apparently the tool is discontinued.

It looks like an old Honda oil filter wrench.
If you bring me the nut, or the whole bike, I'll make you one.

Thanks for the offer. Bike's in Guelph area right now so I might just swing by Two Wheel Motorsport and ask them to put it back on but I should get the tool at some point. Not sure how I feel about riding the bike much of anywhere missing fasteners that hold critical parts together, lol.

Double check the part #, typically Honda special tools are something like 90891-01945.
If n/a in Canada you might find it in the U.S. or (more likely) Europe ?

Double check the part #, typically Honda special tools are something like 90891-01945.
If n/a in Canada you might find it in the U.S. or (more likely) Europe ?
I can maybe get it elsewhere.

This isn't a Honda.

Alright well I can't find anywhere in North America to order the tool from and some of the others from overseas don't actually work when I try to place the order. I did get a drawing from AF1.

ap8101945_d.jpg

Back to the process...
So I'm supposed to hold the inner bushing still using the internal hex with a long shank Allen key while tightening the ring nut (also called castle nut, apparently). I see no way one could accomplish that using the socket and ratchet shown in the images I posted from the factory manual, which is why I was confused. AF1 said they just make the tool out of a peice of tube and then tighten it by hand while holding the bushing with a long allen key through the tube, which I guess works. The recommended torque is only 12 Nm (about 8.5 ft lbs) anyway. Still dunno how you would do it properly with a torque wrench, though, unless there's a way to attach a torque wrench to a peice of tube I don't know about.

Although last time I tried to be proper and use a small torque wrench on one of the shifter nuts I stripped the crap out of it so maybe no torque wrench is better after all. Two Wheel told me they don't bother with one for that particular nut on the shifter. But if my shifter arm falls off I'm less worried than if my swingarm falls off, lol.

Yep. Looks like a Honda oil filter wrench. It is on page 434 on the winner's circle moto catalogue
http://winnerscirclecanada.com/moto_00_contents.php?p=1.1.4.01
The dimensions are close. I made mine from a 7/8 Snap On 1/2 drive socket.

You are more than welcome to try it, or bring me a socket with the correct OD and I'll make you one.
Thanks for lending me the tool bitzz. Finally got the nut but the tool doesn't fit. I'll have to find a way to get it back to you.

Back
Top Bottom