Rear Brake Locked Up | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rear Brake Locked Up

flipz

Went for a ride and on the way back the rear brake locked up. It eventually let go and I was able to make it home slowly. Did a bit of research and apparently it may be rust of the piston in the caliper or the whole caliper needs a rebuild. I don't feel comfortable tackling this on my own so was wondering how much a shop would charge for this kind of job as well as recommendations for shops in or around Cambridge. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Have you checked the pin that holds the rear brake pads in place? The pads need to slide smoothly on that pin (or at least not bind) - that would be the easiest to fix so I'd at least check that before taking it somewhere.

Last edited:
Honestly, it's not that daunting of a job to do...especially on the rear in terms of fluid and bleeding. I would check the slider pins first but depending on how old the bike is, it could be time for a rebuild.

Drain fluid, pull pads, remove caliper, use compressor to push piston out, clean, re and re seals, piston back in, mount caliper, put pads in, new fluid, bleed, bleed again, bleed again just in case....profit.

Rear brakes are over rated :agave:

Honestly, it's not that daunting of a job to do...especially on the rear in terms of fluid and bleeding. I would check the slider pins first but depending on how old the bike is, it could be time for a rebuild.

Drain fluid, pull pads, remove caliper, use compressor to push piston out, clean, re and re seals, piston back in, mount caliper, put pads in, new fluid, bleed, bleed again, bleed again just in case....profit.
Yep, good advice. Easy to do on your own.

via Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. My fear was I do it, make a mistake and it's my last mistake. I'll make sure to test thoroughly before going too far

Thanks for the advice. My fear was I do it, make a mistake and it's my last mistake. I'll make sure to test thoroughly before going too far

No rear brake shouldn't be much of a problem.

If you're leery, remove the caliper and take it to a competent shop for inspection and repair. Better to be safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom