My summer of stator failures.....sigh | GTAMotorcycle.com

My summer of stator failures.....sigh

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Got to the stop sign at the Forks and the CBF1000 died :sad5:

Gee been there this summer already....

read up on stator issues....yup ....fairly frequent on the model....

the GOOD news is there is a 10 year coverage on the issue from Honda.
Phoned the dealer and they said bring it in ....I suspect this is going to take a couple weeks to resolve given how busy they are but I'll switch to the strom.

Could not have asked for a more convenient spot to fail other than my drive way .....:rolleyes:

If your bike is feeling a bit weak on starting maybe do some checking ....mine didn't spin so fast but always started ...I suspect it has been fading for a bit and not keeping the battery topped up. Glad it's not in Ohio ....

Fun wow. I had an exciter coil go on the KLR, replaced it and put an upgraded rectifier on as well.

The rectifier failed and I ended up back on the stock rectifier for years with no troubles.

Good luck with the fix.

Doh! You're not having much luck with the stator situation this year. Glad you were at least close to home this time.
Interesting that Honda is taking care of it.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Thanks

Tell me about it ....there is a slight potential it is a failed battery but the mechanic did not think so....hoping I can sneak in with a replacement for the new part under the warranty period. Mind you it's about right timing for a failed battery and I noticed the bike did not fire so easily if it sat for a while. Was fine if riding daily.

Back to the Strom for the week.

Thanks

Tell me about it ....there is a slight potential it is a failed battery but the mechanic did not think so....hoping I can sneak in with a replacement for the new part under the warranty period. Mind you it's about right timing for a failed battery and I noticed the bike did not fire so easily if it sat for a while. Was fine if riding daily.

Hmm. These are the same symptoms I'm seeing on the wife's CBF. I've been keeping it on a tender because it won't start if it sits for a couple of weeks. When ridden daily, everything seems to be fine.

I'm a bit concerned now because we leave to do the trans-lab highway at 6 am tomorrow...

Have fun on the Trans Lab. My brother Shaun drove it this year in his van and he was amazed at how many potholes there are. I had no issues back in 2011 but for passing the road graders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When my versys started doing the same thing (wonky lights, slow start, no start) it turned out my stator was fine. The battery had two sulphated cells and wouldn't hold a good charge. New battery and all is well.

When my versys started doing the same thing (wonky lights, slow start, no start) it turned out my stator was fine. The battery had two sulphated cells and wouldn't hold a good charge. New battery and all is well.

How many km / years were on the battery?

How many km / years were on the battery?

The battery was a year old. However it was a "crank" brand from Royal, it sat a lot last year and I never had it on a tender so I got what I expected I guess.

The battery was a year old. However it was a "crank" brand from Royal, it sat a lot last year and I never had it on a tender so I got what I expected I guess.

I've been riding on the same battery since I bought the Versys used with 13k now at 70k.

I always tender the battery when it sits idle for longer than a week.

The regulators have a poor reputation but I've not had any issues running with heated jacket grips and high beams. (Touch wood).

I installed a cheap led voltage monitor for piece of mind.

It's always nice to now what the electrical specs for a good stator look like before one goes bad. I remember using a dmm on the KLR stator, and was lucky enough to find a single reference to '185 ohms' plus or minus that had me isolate the exciter as the culprit. Thank god for google. :)

Might it be similar issues that plague the VFR's?
Something about bad connections and not robust enough wiring leading the rectifyer to overheat, and something something also affecting the stator eventually?

VFR's have a full documented, step by step to evaluate and test the entire charging system.. Probably can cross pollenate with the CBF..
Just so happen to have it opened.. so pardon the cut/paste: https://vfrworld.com/threads/how-to-fix-common-regulator-stator-failures.39277/

Yikes what have i started !!!

Oomis ...I'd be very leery on the translab on a CBF with iffy starting.

If it's just a battery I get it back today ....I'm sort of hoping it's the stator as it's a known problem and I'm almost out of warranty on it.

Yikes what have i started !!!

Oomis ...I'd be very leery on the translab on a CBF with iffy starting.

If it's just a battery I get it back today ....I'm sort of hoping it's the stator as it's a known problem and I'm almost out of warranty on it.

Is the R/R easily accessible on the CBF?--I would do a close visual inspection of those connections/grounds if so, looking for corrosion/overheating. Definitely with a fine-tooth comb before the warranty dries up. Been a while since I've owned something with a warranty, chuckle.

The symptom I see is hard or no start after its been sitting a couple of weeks. Battery is a likely culprit and so I have a new one in and a voltmeter installed. It runs flawlessly otherwise. I had a stator go on my beemer and it wouldn't charge, which makes sense. Not charging is a different thing than not holding a charge, so I'm optimistic it's just the battery. This bike was a secondhand pickup and I have no idea how old the battery is.

I think we'll be fine. If not, well that's the definition of an adventure!

Last edited:
Well you have the basic - battery and voltmeter should tell the tale even before you hit the trail north.
Good luck.

BTW which CBF??

2015 my 1990 ZX11 finally let me down. Trailered it home, removed alternator and brought it to the local bike shop. Alternator "repaired" ($400+), I reinstalled, rode it and it let me down again. Trailered it home, removed alt and brought it back to shop. They got a piece of solder in the windings... Reinstalled alt, rode it and let me down again. Trailered home, returned alt to bike shop, found one of the leads disconnected (their soldering gun was not powerful enough). Reinstalled, rode it and all was well. Rode up to Sudbury and back, no issue. Next day went to fuel up and threw the relatively new drive chain off (picked up a stone?). When unloading for the fourth time that year the wife told me to get myself a new bike "that's enough of that *****". Picked up my ZX10R :) After riding that beast for 25 years I guess she though I deserved a new one.

2015 my 1990 ZX11 finally let me down. Trailered it home, removed alternator and brought it to the local bike shop. Alternator "repaired" ($400+), I reinstalled, rode it and it let me down again. Trailered it home, removed alt and brought it back to shop. They got a piece of solder in the windings... Reinstalled alt, rode it and let me down again. Trailered home, returned alt to bike shop, found one of the leads disconnected (their soldering gun was not powerful enough). Reinstalled, rode it and all was well. Rode up to Sudbury and back, no issue. Next day went to fuel up and threw the relatively new drive chain off (picked up a stone?). When unloading for the fourth time that year the wife told me to get myself a new bike "that's enough of that *****". Picked up my ZX10R :) After riding that beast for 25 years I guess she though I deserved a new one.

I will have to try that! First I have to find me a wife...

Yes Virginia it WAS a bad stator and flywheel that Honda is replacing for free... :D.

Have to ride the Mule for the week....got spiffy new shoes on too.....K60s.

Back
Top Bottom