Haliburton Crash | GTAMotorcycle.com

Haliburton Crash

nobbie48

Site Supporter
I didn't want to start a opinion-fest in the fallen rider section regarding the recent hwy 118 crash but have any charges been laid against the driver that crossed the centreline causing the collision?

Have not seen anything in the news . But I`m defiantly interested in the cause .

One of the frustrating thing about an accident like this one is the lack of followup info on cause and consequences to the person at fault. Small local papers often cover these on an ongoing basis, in particular if the victim(s) is a local resident.

URL below connects to a story about a local girl killed by a reckless driver in a truck that should not have been on the road. Great reading and good to see the guilty are going to prison.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer....-peterborough-that-killed-abigail-macnaughton

It would be nice to see this type of detailed followup reporting more often.

There's not enough information to make any judgements about Halliburton that I can see. We don't know why the line was crossed, nor why 4/7 were involved and 3/7 were not.

Others were saying drive-texting would be a slam dunk but I'm not so sure, I regularly see drivers that just can't keep their vehicle between the lines in a curve. Doesn't really matter what the vehicle is either, as long as it's G class (or M, I see bikes doing it too which makes my skin crawl). Generally I hate generalizing, but I almost never see truckers doing it and they are the closest to having an excuse

One of the frustrating thing about an accident like this one is the lack of followup info on cause and consequences to the person at fault. Small local papers often cover these on an ongoing basis, in particular if the victim(s) is a local resident.

URL below connects to a story about a local girl killed by a reckless driver in a truck that should not have been on the road. Great reading and good to see the guilty are going to prison.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer....-peterborough-that-killed-abigail-macnaughton

It would be nice to see this type of detailed followup reporting more often.

Some small town papers are almost microscopic in detail right down to make, mode, year and colour of the vehicles, what was in the bag of groceries that tipped over.

With the Haliburton crash I picked up that the car, a PT Cruiser driven by a male, crossed the centreline. No name, age occupation, hints of DUI or other cause. Possibly the police are carefully recreating the crash on paper and pulling together an airtight case.

The lane intrusion could have been due to DIU, texting, reaching for a coffee or snack, a gust of wind or something as simple as looking at a particularly nice bit of scenery.

Re Twisted Kestral

A partially written text could be erased from the phone and have no record with the provider. A conversation is logged and if the vehicle doesn't have bluetooth it pretty much paints the picture.

Sometimes it's just sloppy driving. EXPLETIVE! You've got power steering. Is it that hard to turn the steering wheel a few more degrees so you don't slew over into someone else's lane? Lazy POS's.

The lane intrusion could have been due to DIU, texting, reaching for a coffee or snack, a gust of wind or something as simple as looking at a particularly nice bit of scenery.

Or based on their choice of car, just not caring about driving in the first place. When was the last time you saw someone you would consider a good driver in a PT cruiser?

Many car drivers can't stay in their own lane on the curves of on/off ramps....way too common.

Every time a small car in front of me rides the gravel/dirt apex of an on ramp leaving 2 car lengths of space to the left, especially at a lower speed than the suggested speed sign, the thought of "I could pass this person..." always races through my mind... Followed by the thought of , "They'd also likely jerk their wheel into me if I tried".

Or it could have been a moose, deer, skunk, other animal, child, cyclist, motorcycle, tractor, pot hole, i.e.d. It could even have been a typo in the paper, and the motorcycles crossed the line. I'm sure that whoever is at fault will exercise their right to a trial, and if you pay attention, you may find out the answer. But since so many others are exercising their rights to a trial, and complaining that the police should be out doing real work instead of cash grabbing, you may have a long wait on your hands, or the accused may get an 11B.

Re Twisted Kestral

A partially written text could be erased from the phone and have no record with the provider. A conversation is logged and if the vehicle doesn't have bluetooth it pretty much paints the picture.

Sometimes it's just sloppy driving. EXPLETIVE! You've got power steering. Is it that hard to turn the steering wheel a few more degrees so you don't slew over into someone else's lane? Lazy POS's.

Almost every morning I see the same silver pickup make a wide left turn across three lanes of traffic because he doesn't want to be bothered making two legal lane changes, over the course of 500 metres, to get his morning Timmie's. Almost every morning I see the same Chrysler 200 go straight through an intersection from the left turn lane. Why? No idea.

I mean, I know exactly why they're doing it. They're always driving on the inside of the curve, thus "apexing" the corner. Not literally trying to pick a racing line through a normal curve, but somewhere along the line they learned to turn into curves early because I dunno, they feel less lateral acceleration and thus it feels smoother.

If they are on the inside lane of multi lane curves, go ahead and cut the apex....I'll pass on the outside lane.

Driver of the vehicle worked all night, was up all day and fell asleep at the wheel.....and drifted over...from what I was told he was only charged with careless driving.

Driver of the vehicle worked all night, was up all day and fell asleep at the wheel.....and drifted over...from what I was told he was only charged with careless driving.

My brother had a head on crash for the same reason. Fortunately he was in a car, airbags did their jobs and everyone walked away. Unfortunately he did sustain long term issues with soft tissue damage.

I am guilty of, in the past, having to play mind games to stay alert and it's wrong. Typically the excuse for most is "I was almost home".

Riceburner is right. The charge should have been impaired. Careless should be reserved for momentary lapses / misjudgments that result in fender benders. Whenever one rides, drives, operates heavy machinery etc one has to ask "Am I alert enough to do the job safely?"

About the only place there is any form of enforcement is in the world of commercial driving and I know of one company that will not let anyone work more than 14 hours a day. If I drove to Windsor (4 hours) and worked eight hours I had to stay over because the driving counted as time on the clock.

The careless charge minimizes the burden of responsibility one should shoulder when at the wheel (Or handlebars)

Haven't found a reference yet. Is this your speculation or fact?

The Honda CRV that I just test drove has a "driver monitoring" function for alertness. Not sure how it works, salesman seems to think it worked from steering input.

Back
Top Bottom