• Cardo Scala Rider Pack Talk

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Sena 20s

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

Aens

Thinking of getting one, but not sure which brand/model to get between the Scala Pack Talk and the Sena 20s. The one thing google has told me is that with more than 3 riders, the only way to have everyone connected is if they buy the same brand. I know this is going to open a can of worms, but lets hear it! Right now, I have an equal mix of solo riding(music and phone calls) and group riding. The group has been kicking around the idea of all buying them for comms.

What would you recommend, or if you have any experience with group rides and mixed brands.

I have the Interphone F4 and I enjoy it. Others that I ride with don't use intercom so it is mostly for me and passenger and for bluetooth purposes like music, phone and gps. The sound quality is amazing and when I am using the phone no one can tell that I am riding.

The latest version is the Interphone F5MC. It does pair with other brands so you have that option as well.

I'm using a Sena 10U in my helmet. 2 riding buddies use the Sena 20S. I have not personally tried the 20S but there are two features on the 20S i wish my intercom had.
1. Ambient mode - This directs outside noise into your speakers. Great for talking to someone like a gas station attendant.
2. It allows you to listen to music/radio while in intercom mode. This one is huge for me especially on long group rides.

I have an older Scala Rider and it's fine and still going.

I can't speak to the newer stuff, which is what I assume you'd be buying.

I'm on the market as well, looking for a decent bluetooth com device. Before shedding hundreds of dollars on brand name products, I will try out cheaper alternative such as this one ... https://www.amazon.ca/IDEAPRO-Water...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6HS9584H3JTV6VNBD6V6

Those are basically V6's in a slightly different form factor, and the V6's can be had for a little over $100 CAd for a set of 2.

https://www.amazon.ca/V6-1200M-Moto...501082814&sr=1-18&keywords=v6+helmet+intercom

I own a set (bought used from a member here) and generally love them - still working well, incredible battery life, and incredible range - we tested to over 1KM line of sight and they were still working perfectly for intercom.

They are not perfect, I wish the speaker volume was higher (intercom over around 80-90KPH gets harder to hear) and the buttons are a bit small so some are harder to hit with gloves on, and the brackets suck (just converted to Velcro instead), but in general for what we use them for I am pleased, and they are certainly WAY cheaper than many of the more mainstream options. My wife loves hers just for listening to music from her iPhone while we ride, and I use mine to get GPS announcements from my phone.

Those are basically V6's in a slightly different form factor, and the V6's can be had for a little over $100 CAd for a set of 2.

https://www.amazon.ca/V6-1200M-Moto...501082814&sr=1-18&keywords=v6+helmet+intercom

I own a set (bought used from a member here) and generally love them - still working well, incredible battery life, and incredible range - we tested to over 1KM line of sight and they were still working perfectly for intercom.

They are not perfect, I wish the speaker volume was higher (intercom over around 80-90KPH gets harder to hear) and the buttons are a bit small so some are harder to hit with gloves on, and the brackets suck (just converted to Velcro instead), but in general for what we use them for I am pleased, and they are certainly WAY cheaper than many of the more mainstream options. My wife loves hers just for listening to music from her iPhone while we ride, and I use mine to get GPS announcements from my phone.

I have a question for you ... when listening GPS navigation from your phone can you still be in intercom mode with your wife?

Got a set of Sena for the wife and I. Haven't got together with a group to try.

For calls, music and chatting with the wife while we ride, they work perfectly. Rode back from Ottawa while on the phone and no one had a clue I was riding. I can hear my bike through the helmet but, it seems the mic is well positioned to not let any ambient noise in and simply transmits my voice.

Battery life lasted the whole trip. Spendy but, definitely good quality and features and highly recommend.

Also fitment for Shoei Qwest helmet is excellent.

I have a question for you ... when listening GPS navigation from your phone can you still be in intercom mode with your wife?

Hmm... I want to say no, I do remember when we were chatting one day that I missed a turn because I didn't get the turn alert from the GPS, so I guess it's only one or the other at a time, not both.

For the Scala Q2 there was a priority list:
AUDIO SOURCES AND PRIORITIES
The different Audio Sources that are connected to the
scala rider Q2
are prioritized as follows:

1. Mobile phone Audio / GPS device (Incoming/outgoing calls ,GPS audio and navigation instructions)

2. Prim ary Buddy Audio and Secondary Buddy Audio

3. FM Radio

4. MP3 Connectivity

It wasn't stereo though, and there was only one bluetooth connection. I hooked it to my GPS, which then hooked to the phone.

MacDoc might have some comments, he's used and had a set repaired. Sena, I think.

For the Scala Q2 there was a priority list:
AUDIO SOURCES AND PRIORITIES
The different Audio Sources that are connected to the
scala rider Q2
are prioritized as follows:

1. Mobile phone Audio / GPS device (Incoming/outgoing calls ,GPS audio and navigation instructions)

2. Prim ary Buddy Audio and Secondary Buddy Audio

3. FM Radio

4. MP3 Connectivity

It wasn't stereo though, and there was only one bluetooth connection. I hooked it to my GPS, which then hooked to the phone.

MacDoc might have some comments, he's used and had a set repaired. Sena, I think.
When comes to priority list, I would assume Q3 is the same?

When comes to priority list, I would assume Q3 is the same?

4.3 AUDIO SOURCES AND PRIORITIES
If two connected audio sources try to play simultaneously, your
scala
rider
automatically determines which audio source to play
through the speakers based on the priority of the connected devices.
Higher Priority
1. Mobile Phone audio or GPS instructions*
2. Intercom / Click-to-Link
3. A2DP (Stereo
Bluetooth
) audio
4. FM Radio (Built-in)
5. AUX (for corded connection i.e. Music Players)
* GPS instructions from Smartphone GPS Apps
are prioritized like A2DP audio

Lower Priority
• Incoming
mobile phone calls
interrupt ongoing
intercom calls
• Incoming
intercom calls
will interrupt ongoing
A2DP music

Intercom
and
Click-to-Link
calls have the same priority. So
Click-to-Link
calls will not interrupt any Intercom call in progress,
and vice-versa.
A2DP audio priority can be configured to be higher than Intercom audio
priority (see section 3)

From: http://www.cardosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/MAN00113-Q3-EN-J-103w.pdf

4.3 AUDIO SOURCES AND PRIORITIES
If two connected audio sources try to play simultaneously, your
scala
rider
automatically determines which audio source to play
through the speakers based on the priority of the connected devices.
Higher Priority
1. Mobile Phone audio or GPS instructions*
2. Intercom / Click-to-Link
3. A2DP (Stereo
Bluetooth
) audio
4. FM Radio (Built-in)
5. AUX (for corded connection i.e. Music Players)
* GPS instructions from Smartphone GPS Apps
are prioritized like A2DP audio

Lower Priority
• Incoming
mobile phone calls
interrupt ongoing
intercom calls
• Incoming
intercom calls
will interrupt ongoing
A2DP music

Intercom
and
Click-to-Link
calls have the same priority. So
Click-to-Link
calls will not interrupt any Intercom call in progress,
and vice-versa.
A2DP audio priority can be configured to be higher than Intercom audio
priority (see section 3)

From: http://www.cardosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/MAN00113-Q3-EN-J-103w.pdf
Thanks so much man!

I have the Sena 10C. Basically a 20S with a built in camera. Almost 2 seasons and 13,000km - zero issues.
People can't believe I'm talking to them from the bike on the 401. Some tell me it sounds better than my cars Bluetooth.
Playing music through my phone is plenty loud enough.
I have not used the intercom feature though as I mostly ride solo.

BT-S2. http://www.gearbest.com/motorcycle-parts/pp_264923.html

~$40. I bought one from Amazon a couple months ago and it has been amazing. Super cheap, works great. I use earplugs and can still listen to music at 80+km/h no problem.\

I didn't want to spent a ton of money on a Sena so I tried this one out. No idea how it compares to the Sena, but this device has been amazing. I never ride without it.

I have the V6 as well mostly for listening to music and directions from my GPS.

By linking the headset and the phone to the Zumo 660 GPS, you can perform all functions are on the screen including phone calls, address book,listening to music, making or receiving calls . The only time I need to touch the headset is for the intercom to another rider.

A friend bought a pair and I have linked with him a few times. Good value for what I need it for but only use it for longer rides and touring.

Last edited:
BT-S2. http://www.gearbest.com/motorcycle-parts/pp_264923.html

~$40. I bought one from Amazon a couple months ago and it has been amazing. Super cheap, works great. I use earplugs and can still listen to music at 80+km/h no problem.\

I didn't want to spent a ton of money on a Sena so I tried this one out. No idea how it compares to the Sena, but this device has been amazing. I never ride without it.

+1 on BT-S2...Works great for the cost (around $50 at amazon when I bought it)...Intercom worked great when I went riding with another buddy (he had a BT-S2 too)...Intercom pauses when you receive a call and connects again once the call is disconnected. The only downside- Turn by turn is not relayed while intercom is on (or maybe i have not figured out how yet)

I chose the 20S set when I was looking last year and I've been pleased with them. Main reason was most of my other rider friends has various Sena models and I had heard all mostly good reviews of the Sena products and not so much about the other brands.

Back
Top Bottom