Home furnace shopping | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Home furnace shopping

My wife and I did this last year through Reliance. We went this option (furnace and AC) only because our furnace crapped out unexpectedly and did not have the money in the bank after having bought the house a year prior to buy anything outright. I know we will pay more in the long run (that's a no brainer) but I make sure that they come out every spring and fall to run though everything for peace of mind and to get my moneys worth.

If you have the money in the bank, then better route is to buy outright; with rent/lease options the benefit is that if there are any issues they are taken care of quickly and without any stress on my part...plus it saved us from trying to find a loan for 7-10k

I completely get that, and in your situation it makes sense. Reliance , CTC , home depot ect. all do very well with a lease finance program. I didnt mean to sound like a wank, everybodys situation is different.
I was lucky when we did our last mortgage, I used the equity I had to back a line of credit so I could have access to thousands , no questions asked. When we were all done with mortgages I kept the LOC for a just in case rainy day.

Now you guys got me thinking, my furnace, mid efficiency is 20yrs old and the AC is probably 30, I should likely be buying a unit just because the blow up is probably coming.

Now you guys got me thinking, my furnace, mid efficiency is 20yrs old and the AC is probably 30, I should likely be buying a unit just because the blow up is probably coming.

You may save money just on efficiency if you are coming from equipment that old. My gas usage the year after I put in the high efficiency furnace was 50% of the year before with a 30 yo chimney furnace. I went down from a 100,000 btu to a 70,000 BTU with no problems. Recovery from 15 degrees to 22 takes a little over an hour. I could probably have gone even smaller.

I find the opposite... that it's easier now to get hvac equipment without a licence than it used to be.
I do believe that home owners are allowed to work on equipment in their own home.

You need TSSA recognition to work on the fuel combustion system.

I only have experience with Lennox, they wouldn't sell me motor for fan without TSSA ticket. Made me find an aftermarket unit that cost half of what Lennox wanted.

Im an hvac tech. Been in the indusrey for 13 years all commercial and industrial. When it comes to residential unit, i recommend going with sister brands. All parts and warranty are exactly the same. Only thing different are the badge. What the brand names like lennox, york, carrier, ect. Offers are much wider options on their line up (higher efficiency) and more bells and whisles, obviously more $$$.

I do agree with looking for the right installer for the job. But more importantly getting the right size equipment for your house. Otherwise all residential units are just about the same. However, Lennox or trane fall behind on parts suppliers. Theres only a number of them on the gta and always closed on weekends.

And yes suppliers only sell on licensed mechanics.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I definitely have to look into this!

I'll see if I can dig up the info for the supplier in NY I bought from and post it up...when I did it the candollar was at parr... But I still think there's savings to be had even with a weak dollar

You may save money just on efficiency if you are coming from equipment that old. My gas usage the year after I put in the high efficiency furnace was 50% of the year before with a 30 yo chimney furnace. I went down from a 100,000 btu to a 70,000 BTU with no problems. Recovery from 15 degrees to 22 takes a little over an hour. I could probably have gone even smaller.

Ours were 25 years old when they crapped out and we noticed a reasonable amount of savings with the higher efficiency units...gas and electric on the furnace and major electricity on the AC. Now it's time to deal with other areas of efficiency to really get the most from them.

What would be the sister brand for Rheem in the furnaces? if they have one.. Thanks

Im an hvac tech. Been in the indusrey for 13 years all commercial and industrial. When it comes to residential unit, i recommend going with sister brands. All parts and warranty are exactly the same. Only thing different are the badge. What the brand names like lennox, york, carrier, ect. Offers are much wider options on their line up (higher efficiency) and more bells and whisles, obviously more $$$.

I do agree with looking for the right installer for the job. But more importantly getting the right size equipment for your house. Otherwise all residential units are just about the same. However, Lennox or trane fall behind on parts suppliers. Theres only a number of them on the gta and always closed on weekends.

And yes suppliers only sell on licensed mechanics.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom