Calabogie this Weekend | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Calabogie this Weekend

Good to see you and Teal. There was quite a wide range of speeds happening in red and it was hard to get any clear laps but I did manage to get a new best lap of 2:19.5. Only 0.4 better than before but still better. I think we'll avoid the busy July weekend next year though.

was the same story in Yellow, guys / gals doing anywhere from 2:18s to 2:50s so its was hard to get a good run, I spend all of Sunday trying to get used to a new bike with properly set up suspension for the first time but on Sunday managed to get 2:26 in the afternoon, pretty sure that with less traffic I could manage to get a lot closer to low 2:22 ish, then the next frontier is getting into the teens

Good to see you and Teal. There was quite a wide range of speeds happening in red and it was hard to get any clear laps but I did manage to get a new best lap of 2:19.5. Only 0.4 better than before but still better. I think we'll avoid the busy July weekend next year though.

Good lap time Dave. It probably happened when I got out of your way lol. My best was about 2:23 strangely on sunday not monday. Seemed to slow down to mid 20's Monday. i agree it is busy this weekend but generally you can count on the weather being good and I hate to drive 6 hours and then have to sit out because its raining (Sorry not interested in riding in the rain).
Mosport is next.

Last edited:
You didn't miss me, It was my trailer Rob was sleeping in when you first came by. Nice meeting you.

Im planing to go up again at the end of August hopefully the weather is as good, and I get to drop a few more seconds off my lap times.

See ya all there

Damm sorry man. Guess i was caught up in Rob's being sick and i didn't pay attention to the other bikes. We will meet again I'm sure. I was glad to hear
that your buddy was ok. Hope he can salvage something out of his bike.

New to forum, based in Ottawa (Kanata). I rode yesterday (only). Heard about Monday's incident in the rider's meeting Tuesday morning. Didn't realize the incident was as bad as described above... Hope everyone is ok. Rider from behind must have been really cooking along? Lots of visibility on the front straight, I doubt the group ahead was parked so to speak?

I saw a few photographers out and about. Anyone know if there are any galleries posted online yet?

Bit late in replying but I was there Monday and Tuesday, my 3rd and 4th day on a track, in green group, best track time was 2:46.6, spent most of Monday in body positioning (getting the butt on to the side).

Any feedback from more experienced riders would be appreciated.

Need more confidence at the corners with:
- braking late (not before markers)
- turning at higher speed and
- accelerating earlier after apex

What kind of timing is required to move to faster group? Don't mind being passed or pass others as long as I don't have to change my line while braking hard because someone slams their brake while moving in front of me right before the corner.

6335ee97b2054ef16d4fcba3531c9561.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd say anything under a 2:30 consistently ought to get you into intermediate at Bogie.

Bit late in replying but I was there Monday and Tuesday, my 3rd and 4th day on a track, in green group, best track time was 2:46.6, spent most of Monday in body positioning (getting the butt on to the side).

Any feedback from more experienced riders would be appreciated.

Need more confidence at the corners with:
- braking late (not before markers)
- turning at higher speed and
- accelerating earlier after apex

What kind of timing is required to move to faster group? Don't mind being passed or pass others as long as I don't have to change my line while braking hard because someone slams their brake while moving in front of me right before the corner.

6335ee97b2054ef16d4fcba3531c9561.jpg

Just keep at it. Push your brake/acceleration markers further/sooner and take little steps. Brake 5' later and accelerate when you exit of the corner and can see where you want to go. Braking later is easier then exploring traction levels of the rear tire. If you can get with an instructor to help you and tow you along it can help speed up the process.

Had a good weekend, rode with Mbroyda and Rob Star. Max looks really good on that trick S1000 and Robs bike makes me want to jump ship to Yamaha.

How fast should I be going for Red group?

Just keep at it. Push your brake/acceleration markers further/sooner and take little steps. Brake 5' later and accelerate when you exit of the corner and can see where you want to go. Braking later is easier then exploring traction levels of the rear tire. If you can get with an instructor to help you and tow you along it can help speed up the process.

Thank you, I am working on building that confidence, hopefully in few more sessions.

Last edited:
Lap times only tell part of the story; the other part is how consistent and predictable you are. Red group riders should have enough experience that they know what actions cause problems, both for themselves and for other riders, and don't do those things. Cornering speed should be close to the same range regardless of bike, cornering lines should be somewhere near what they ought to be, accelerate when you are supposed to be accelerating (don't ever be unexpectedly slow without getting off the racing line and doing something to warn riders behind), no braking so early that it prompts being rear-ended by someone else coming up fast from behind, go STRAIGHT from the exit point of one corner to the turn-in point of the next with no wandering about from side to side, no last minute changing your mind about where to be on the track, know what to do when you see a black/yellow/striped/red flag, and on and on.

Good lap times come with being consistent, so these are things to work on regardless of group.

If you do all that, and you get the feeling that you are being held up all the time, slowed down by other riders, it's time to move up to the next level.

Thank you, that's good advise and I do agree with all those points and I am working exactly in that manner to ensure it will be safe for me and other before I am moved up to next group. I can pass most green riders but usually get stuck consistently behind 1-2 who are faster than me. I try to keep up with them and I watch them and learn from them.

Docc is at Bogie this aug7,8. They will send an instructor out with you for generally as long as you like. And less people on track.

Anyone know who the photographers were? I'd love to see some pictures!

I think the guy with the big professional camera was with the MotoNation group. They packed up right after session 2 crash.

Thank you, that's good advise and I do agree with all those points and I am working exactly in that manner to ensure it will be safe for me and other before I am moved up to next group. I can pass most green riders but usually get stuck consistently behind 1-2 who are faster than me. I try to keep up with them and I watch them and learn from them.

What bike were you on?

They said it was a magazine, a lady was taking pics besides the marshal at turn 3

I think the guy with the big professional camera was with the MotoNation group. They packed up right after session 2 crash.

Was that the 5 bike crash at turn 1?

I would also like to know who was with the camera during riders meeting and with still cameras on the track during the day.

Red CBR1000RR with green tape on mirrors and lights. You were in green group? What bike?

Oh, you're the guy with the app on the phone and gps tracker on the bike I was asking about.

Back
Top Bottom